What do you drive?

My driveway.
MnAKJOh.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaa-maaaaaaaze-ballls Barman!

Traded in my Frontier for this Ridgeline and I'm very happy, it's a great work truck and very capable !
On the other hand, the G80 has being nothing but pleasure to drive,
I think this is the brand to look after this days, their concierge service is absolutely outstanding,
and the best part - you don't pay anything for 3 years... :thumbsup:

J3ZnSu.jpg

Don’t be, it’s just a stupid, overpriced piece of metal. Health and people you love is way more important.

I know, you're right. I also say that the main thing my vehicle does is take me away from where I want to be (home with my dogs) to where I don't want to be (work).

I had a sweet BMW diesel but my wife said we needed a bigger car. So I traded it in for a fully loaded explorer which she then promptly claimed as hers so I got her Outback. Still have my Mustang though!

there's people after the Boomer generation that know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission.

Actually, I'm glad of it. Most of the people my age are retired, and we will be turning to the millenials for information and service help. All too often the "older generation" might have issues with a younger generation simply because we knew them as children.

As for my Ford, just using the manual transmission gives me two extra miles per gallon. Granted, that's not a big bonus for trips locally, but I once drove to N. Carolina to see my dad. Staying on "the slab" and dropping the gears into fifth was pretty much a ride at 1,400 RPM. I stopped for gas only once, and that was just to top off.

Manual transmissions are still more fun, but they used to be the only way to drive if you wanted something sporty or if you had an econo-box and wanted some semblance of performance. Now, the autos get better mileage and perform better. They still aren't as fun to drive, although if you are in traffic, they are definitely easier. I don't like the CVT transmissions like my wife's Outback. On the other hand, she gets like 36 miles to the gallon on a pretty full size car.

My 28 year old son learned to drive in my old Ford Ranger with a 5 speed and he just got an Impreza with a 5 speed manual. He doesn't care about cars, he just thinks the manual is funner to drive.

The nice thing about a pick-up with a manual transmission is that they really shine with a heavier load. Even on a wet road uphill all you have to do is drop a gear or two and you're not holding up the cars behind you. Now, I did put a lid on my truck, and I made sure it was the type that had a good tight seal. I also had two lockable fasteners on the rear corners.

I drive a black 1997 F-150 with a five speed manual transmission. I figure millenials have not seen a clutch pedal before, so the chances of theft are lower.
You do know that the earliest millennials learned to drive in the mid 90s, right? Lots of manuals back then, especially on beater teenage cars. I only had one friend who had an automatic.

Actually, I'm glad of it. Most of the people my age are retired, and we will be turning to the millenials for information and service help. All too often the "older generation" might have issues with a younger generation simply because we knew them as children.

As for my Ford, just using the manual transmission gives me two extra miles per gallon. Granted, that's not a big bonus for trips locally, but I once drove to N. Carolina to see my dad. Staying on "the slab" and dropping the gears into fifth was pretty much a ride at 1,400 RPM. I stopped for gas only once, and that was just to top off.
Please explain how you did a +900 mile trip only topping off once.

"Please explain how you did a +900 mile trip only topping off once."

I didn't wait until I needed it, I stopped at the first station I could make from the Interstate. Frankly, I was a tad worried. I've found that the gauge in my truck is wildly optimistic. I've learned to stop when the needle first passes the 1/2 way point.

I never get close to that. But it's mostly city driving or hilly\mountains and it's the 6 cyl

The regular 4 cylinder Outback is a little underpowered in the sense of aggressive driving or passing on a 2 lane, but it pretty effortlessly cruises at 80 and feels stable and never gasping for power.

On the other hand, when my son and I drove from Vermont to Seattle his fully loaded down Impreza had a hard time even staying at 50mph going over the mountain from Montana into Washington (I think--I'm geographically challenged).

Back