What initially sold you on Survive! Knives?

Besides the quality materials and attention to detail used in his knives, the big draw was how much personal interaction Guy is willing to put in when i have asked him a question or 10 about his knives. He is very active on the facebook forum which i have not found to be the case with most makers.
I posted a for trade item on that facebook group and within 10 minutes Guy actually traded a new 5.1 for my item-
I also am drawn by the whole small scale craft knife product vs the big box store every man's knife kind of knife brands. Lastly, that his designs are getting slightly changed from generation to generation is cool as well since there will never be a lot of any 1 model in circulation.

Oh! You are the guy who traded your archery set for the 5.1? That's so cool!

Was searching... no scouring the internet for best ≈4" knife for hunting/camping/survival and came across the S!K GSO 4.1. They were very hard to find and that actually had me more intrigued... if everyone wants one they have to be good, right? Well, after watching every video and reading every topic, and seeing just how nice the CPM-3V supersteel seemed to perform, the 4.1 was on my short list of must-have knives. I was currently using a BHK Woodsman Pro, and had a Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger in my possession but never put into use, and previously owned a number of Bark River models (Northstar, Canadian Special, Rogue). I finally found a used 4.1 2nd and scooped it up and I was more impressed by it than any of the previous knives I have owned. I have a 4.5 on order and I almost pulled the trigger on a presale 4.7 a week ago (wishing I would've now). These knives and this company is the real deal. Just wish they had a bit better supply so I could burn through the different models at my whim.

Did you used to be on the Barkie subforum on KF?

Welcome to the S!K forum!

Yeah I've been around here and there since 2008... had a big Benchmade and Barkie chubbie back in the day. Like I said though, out of all the knives I've gone through the S!K GSO4.1 has been the most impressive thus far. Can't wait to get my hands on my 4.5 and pick up a 4.7. That should get me through the small-ish knives for a while and then I can focus on a beast of a knife like a 7/7 or bigger. I currently have a ESEE 6 and love it, so I can only imagine how Guy's rendition of the bigger knife will feel in the hand.

I currently have a ESEE 6 and love it, so I can only imagine how Guy's rendition of the bigger knife will feel in the hand.

I was all about the Barkie Bravo 1 and then the ESEE 6 replaced it. Then the GSO 5.1 crushed the ESEE 6

If you like the ESEE 6, I cant even begin to explain how much you should get a 5.1 when the regular sales open up in a month or so.

I was all about the Barkie Bravo 1 and then the ESEE 6 replaced it. Then the GSO 5.1 crushed the ESEE 6

If you like the ESEE 6, I cant even begin to explain how much you should get a 5.1 when the regular sales open up in a month or so.

In anticipation of my pre-orders, i went ahead and grabbed an ESEE-6 off the exchange, a BK-16 as well. I'm preparing a review comparing the ESEE to the GSO, but I can already state that the geometry is going to be WELL in favor of the GSO (the ESEE is >0.040" behind the edge :eek: compared to the previous GSO-5.1 at ~0.020 :cool:) with a nicer handle besides, and no coating to drag or wear. I can hardly wait to have the new 5.1 in hand.

The BK16 has a nicely contoured handle, I prefer it to the old-spec GSO-4.1, haven't measured the geometry on the blade yet, but I'll draw up diagrams of each for the review.

The stock handles on an ESEE suck. There is a company that makes contoured G10 that makes them better, but the thick geometry and the coating really ruin them. They have almost a full flat grind. I thought about stripping one, convexing the edge to knock down the shoulder and see how it performs. I feel like they grind em thick to keep em tough. Overall the E6 is a respectable knife for the $$ but the 5.1 is way better!

In anticipation of my pre-orders, i went ahead and grabbed an ESEE-6 off the exchange, a BK-16 as well. I'm preparing a review comparing the ESEE to the GSO, but I can already state that the geometry is going to be WELL in favor of the GSO (the ESEE is >0.040" behind the edge :eek: compared to the previous GSO-5.1 at ~0.020 :cool:) with a nicer handle besides, and no coating to drag or wear. I can hardly wait to have the new 5.1 in hand.

The BK16 has a nicely contoured handle, I prefer it to the old-spec GSO-4.1, haven't measured the geometry on the blade yet, but I'll draw up diagrams of each for the review.

Seriously? You went and bought knives just for review purposes?? I feel like SURVIVE! could have saved 29 blades just by sending one for you to review :D

Awaiting the review of the Esee 6 against the 5.1. Had always been interested in an Esee 6 but did not really spend my dough on it because I am sure the 5.1 will surpass it.

Awaiting the review of the Esee 6 against the 5.1. Had always been interested in an Esee 6 but did not really spend my dough on it because I am sure the 5.1 will surpass it.
But a knife in hand is worth two in the bush. S!K are just soooooo hard to get.

But a knife in hand is worth two in the bush. S!K are just soooooo hard to get.

Very true indeed. That's why I got myself an Esee 3 while anticipating the 3.5 to go into production. And I am currently happily using my Swamp Rat INFI Ratmandu (a.k.a Infidu) while waiting for the 5.1 which I got during the pre-sale to arrive. Well at least the Infidu and GSO 5.1 are quite similar. I am still awaiting my 4.1 to be done so meanwhile I decided the Esee 3 should serve me well for now.

In anticipation of my pre-orders, i went ahead and grabbed an ESEE-6 off the exchange, a BK-16 as well. I'm preparing a review comparing the ESEE to the GSO......

I always look forward to your reviews. It will be nice to see the esee for comparison :thumbup:

I use my blades nearly every day, but I am horrible about documenting or taking pictures as I am usually out by myself, or the person with me has not enough blade interest to be helpful. So I really appreciate that you set about it so thoroughly. If you ever need a blade that I have for a comparison review, I would be happy to lend it if I can contribute in that way. Might save you a buck or two over the exchange :)

Seriously? You went and bought knives just for review purposes?? I feel like SURVIVE! could have saved 29 blades just by sending one for you to review :D

Yep, and chiral's reviews are generally geared toward real-world blade use. Like a butchering job rather than brick chopping. I'd say there's a strong chance he gets to put an SK 4.7 to use.

one of my best friends brought his 4.1 over when he got it, then showed me some vids, hooked me. i now have a 3.5, 4.1 and 5.

Seriously? You went and bought knives just for review purposes?? ...

Well, the ESEE-6 is well regarded and a closer comparison to the 5.1 than my RMD...

Plus, I wanted to make sure my UKE 2.0 would accommodate the sheath with the 'bridge' attachment, which it totally does so if you know anybody with an ESEE looking for a better way to carry it, feel free to direct them my way! :D

The stock handles on an ESEE suck. There is a company that makes contoured G10 that makes them better, but the thick geometry and the coating really ruin them. They have almost a full flat grind. I thought about stripping one, convexing the edge to knock down the shoulder and see how it performs. I feel like they grind em thick to keep em tough. Overall the E6 is a respectable knife for the $$ but the 5.1 is way better!

I'll make sure to point out the alternative scale option for the ESEE, also the uncoated versions they have available. But yeah, they seem ground like Busse does a lot of their knives - brick-chippers. *shrug*
What gets me about ESEE is that the hardness on their 1095 knives is listed as 55-57 Rc, the edges are quite thick with a heavy angle, and yet they declare them to be too delicate to throw... o_0 They are strong, tough knives, no doubt.

... And I am currently happily using my Swamp Rat INFI Ratmandu (a.k.a Infidu) while waiting for the 5.1 which I got during the pre-sale to arrive. Well at least the Infidu and GSO 5.1 are quite similar...

Well, the GSO should come with a ready edge (which my SR-101 RMD certainly lacked) and is noticeably longer than the RMD - the old-spec one by only a little, but I did find it noticeable (greater reach, better chop). I can hardly wait to hold the new GSO-handles... RMD has remained my favorite fixed-blade in that size-range in large part because of the handle.

...I use my blades nearly every day, but I am horrible about documenting or taking pictures as I am usually out by myself, or the person with me has not enough blade interest to be helpful. So I really appreciate that you set about it so thoroughly. If you ever need a blade that I have for a comparison review, I would be happy to lend it if I can contribute in that way. Might save you a buck or two over the exchange :)

I am glad my reviews are of use to folk, I also hope plenty of non-forum folk are able to find them via google or what-not. I don't normally document my knife use either, it takes a conscious effort to bother. I barely documented my last goat-butchering, didn't photograph my recent deer-butchering at all... *shrug* Usually I just don't have the time to spend on it. And some knife-companies get plenty of press without needing me to add anything. S!K is probably that way now, but Guy's knives are what started me on writing up reviews, and I figure I sort of owe it to him for how little I paid in that first run of GSO-10s :p But if there is a knife any of y'all own and want included in a review, feel free to drop me a line and I'll include it if I have the time.

I would feel blessed to receive an SK-4.7 to test, but if not I'll gladly purchase one of the test-knives if the owner doesn't want it.

Last edited:
I discovered Survive! Knives...let's see.... On another forum, I was in a discussion with another knife-maker, and he kept trying to tell me what my needs were and weren't, and that put me off, so I started looking elsewhere. Then late one night I saw chiral.grolim's post here on BF where he compared four knives, one of them a GSO-5.1, then I watched a youtube video by Adam from Equip2Endure reviewing a GSO-5.1 (I now own that exact knife--he later sold it to me). I combed the Internet for more info, and the more I read, the more hooked I became. I own four GSO-5.1s with a new-spec one on the way. :) I also have a GSO-4.7 ordered, and I'll get a few more in the next year hopefully. That's how I came onto S!K.

Thank you, chiral.grolim! It was your post that pointed the way to S!K for me.

Chiral, your detailed reviews are some of the best I've seen, especially considering you're not a full time youtuber.

I too found a lot of information from your written reviews through Google as I was learning about SURVIVE! As I became active here and realized who you were I had a "oh he's THAT guy from the GSO 10 pitting, face shaving, edge geometry and handle comparison reviews, and sheath extention" moment. This place is definitely better and more informed because you're here :thumbup:

Back