what is the best throwing knife?

I have several kinds of throwing knives including,COLD STEEL,TRU-BAL,ROUGH RIDERS but beyond compare for ease of throwing and overall feel and quality BOBBY BRANTON makes the best throwers anywhere.BOBBY learned from some of the very best back in the 80-90s and IMHO after thousands of throws his knives are flawless.he is on bladeforums too.
happy throwing and if you want the best,get some BOBBY BRANTON throwers.
by the way BOBBY BRANTON has even trained Hollywood actress before and is a very nice and humble knifemaker.

Bobby Branton knives wins the most competitions. On the lesser known ridiculous side Microtech Halo 5 can be thrown by a total amateur in a emergency situation w great confidence.Very balanced for a nasty 10 - 12 ft throw.

I know this is an old thread but there are some up and coming throwing knife makers out there.
Rob Crozier, owner of Rolling thunder knives.
Ken Witheral. (hope I'm spelling that right)

I own a few of Robs knives and they are very sweet throwers.
I also have an assortment of knives from:

Bill Page
Joe Darrah
Bobby Branton
John Bailey (Boker Ziel II)

These people are competition throwers, knife designers, and makers. You may pay more, but the resulting product is more than worth it.
Bobby Branton has also started Making some of the Tru Bals (yay!)

Cold Steel does make some good affordable throwers as well as Condor, that are inexpensive. I recommend keeping a file handy to remove burrs.

Steel used in the making of a throwing knife makes a big difference.
Stainless steel (and I own quite a few) can break/shatter and has a tendency to get nasty burrs.
Carbon steels, and some types are better than others, are the best for throwers.

Competition knives have to be over 12". It is also easier to teach someone to throw a large knife than a small light one that can bounce.

Best is subjective....for a beginner the Condor is my favorite along with Cold Steel, Solid, tough and reliable carbon steel throwers for around $20 each.

349b6794-d32e-4296-a62c-c719241d6464.jpg

Last edited:
[Removed] is the [Removed] Gill Hibben Pro throwing knife. Gill has been making knives himself from he was a little boy. His career reached the heights of him making knives for soldiers and for big screen movies like Rambo. If you want great steel, good balance, nice classic finish and durability when looking for [Removed] then check out the [Removed] Gill Hibben Throwing Knives man... you cant go wrong
Hey by the way check out this nice piece featuring [Removed] right here:
[Removed]

Is there a reason you've linked that same article like 15 times in the last half hour? Had a nice laugh while reading it, so thanks for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold Steel Perfect Balance Thrower will be good for you as for the beginners with the additional advantage of holding its own as a heavy duty survival knife, cleaver or hatchet. It hits hard and penetrates its target efficiently because of its considerable weight and fully sharpened clip point. Always remember to choose only lightweight throwing weapons along with good quality of blades (prefer to own carbon steel blades).

Competition knives have to be over 12".

Which competitions? Which rules?

http://www.akta-usa.com/docs/rules.htm - 9" - 16"

http://www.ikthof.com/rules.html - 12" - 16"

http://www.eurothrowers.org/european-knife-and-axe-throwing-rules - 9" minimum no maximum

I'm really asking if there is some universal standard which I've missed? I'm on a standards kick of late so if there is such a thing I'd like to know about it.

One other point I'd like to add about "best" in general is that long and big tend to be heavy, and or thin to compensate. This usually leads to either breaking or excessive bending. There are exceptions, but production knife wise (not custom or nice aftermarket) its seriously slim pickings.

While I would agree that its not a good idea to try and throw things that are shorter than 8", there are always exceptions like spikes, stars and other things you can fit in the palm of your hand and be accurate with for long distances.

Asking what the "best" is in anything is really just asking a question that cannot be answered without qualification, and will almost always come back with something along the lines of "it depends".

- Hal Zucati

Asking what the "best" is in anything is really just asking a question that cannot be answered without qualification, and will almost always come back with something along the lines of "it depends".
That is kind of true, you need to know whom the knife is for, and what styles he wants to throw.

But, throwing since 10 years, and having seen countless beginners in their first throws, there are three knives I can recommend:
- CS "Perfect Balance Thrower" (dull the edges)
- Böker "Ziel II"
- Damo Mariano "Faka" (get the big version)

Have fun throwing,

Christian

Which competitions? Which rules?

http://www.akta-usa.com/docs/rules.htm - 9" - 16"
http://www.ikthof.com/rules.html - 12" - 16"
http://www.eurothrowers.org/european-knife-and-axe-throwing-rules - 9" minimum no maximum
I'm really asking if there is some universal standard which I've missed?
You are only missing the Russian rules (Unifight, and Hard Hand). As far as I remember, they either stipulate a certain knife, or you are free to throw what you want.
Christian

The best throwing knife is which ever one you can consistently and reliably throw where it sticks pointy end first.

Every thrown knife can and will eventualy bend, chip or break. Paraphrasing what Mr. Thorn said in a recent post,

Practice, practice practice and throw anything you can until you find what works FOR YOU.

The best throwing knife is which ever one you can consistently and reliably throw where it sticks pointy end first.

Every thrown knife can and will eventualy bend, chip or break. Paraphrasing what Mr. Thorn said in a recent post,

Practice, practice practice and throw anything you can until you find what works FOR YOU.

While its true that nothing is indestructible, I would argue that some things are less likely to bend, chip and break than others, and that you do get what you pay for in many cases, not all, but many.
I also agree you have to find something that works for you. Knives are like gloves, its not a one size fits all proposition. Strength, stride length, shoulder and arm strength, and many other factors come into play when throwing a knife.
It takes the skill of a good baseball pitcher combined with the artistry of a instinctive archer to throw a knife well and accurately.

Generally speaking the best place to start with a throwing knife is somewhere in this area:

1. Made of good materials. (some form of heat-treated and tempered metal). There's many choices but something that's better and impact resistance than edge holding.

2. In the optimum weight range. I'd say somewhere between 8oz and 20oz. That'd be the light end to the heavy end.

3. The correct length. There's old and new formulas for how long a knife should be (ditto weight) but generally something between a minimum of 8" to a maximum of 16". You can go smaller and bigger, but it gets harder on both ends.

4. A knife suited to your use. Are you in the circus? Need something polished and flashy that can easily be seen by an audience? Do you intend to hunt? Need something that'll penetrate hide and cause a large wound cavity? Are you a survivalist and want another option that includes chopping, and improvised spear use? Are you a backyard thrower looking for the best you can buy that will throw well and not break easily?

5. Something that fits your hand and your strength. Shake hands with your knife. Heft it. If it doesn't feel good, its not going to throw well.

6. Something with a warranty. I say this because at some point things happen. If you've spent good money on your knife, it should give you your money's worth back in value. Most throwing knives won't come with one, look for those that do.

Off the top of my head and from personal experience I'd recommend knives from these makers:

1. Flying Steel - (Mostly sharpened stick designs, but some interesting ones too. Also makes Kunai and throwing spikes) - German 80CrV2 Steel

2. Condor Tool and knife - (Mostly sharpened stick and circus designs but nice materials and coatings) - 1075 Steel

3. Crescent Knife Works - (Mostly sharpened stick designs but HEAVY knives and nicely tempered) - 5160 Steel

4. Harald Moeller - Viper Knives - (Original designs, top quality workmanship) - 440C Stainless Steel

5. Bobby Branton - (All either circus style or Henry McEnvoy style, also sells Tru-Bal knives under the Tru-Bal east name and license) - "Spring Steel" does not say what kind. He's been selling these for a long time, so they're nice and time tested. One of the few throwing knives with handles.

6. The Great Throwzini - (Sells a whole range of stuff, but much of it is either non-specific to heat-treat, materials and other factors or is a copy of someone else's work. Many sharpened sticks and circus throwers. Its a mixed bag so buyer beware) Steel varies.

There are many, many cheaply made, and blatant copies of actual solid IP out there in the throwing knife world, but if you use the above guidelines and or buy from one of the listed makers, or someone with similar qualities then your changes of happiness with your choice will be that much greater.

Couple definitions:

1. Sharpened stick: Any "knife" or object that is largely shapeless with one end pointed. No particular design, just a large rectangle or rounded rectangle, elongated teardrop or even just a rod that has one end ground to some form of point. Usually a broad or rough tip without any particular bevel lines or angles. Typical examples are the "Look what I made out of a lawnmower blade or prybar" "knife". Roam around on YouTube with these search terms and you'll get the idea. In no way is this considered good for anything other than sticking into some soft material, and would never be carried around or have a sheath.

2. Circus thrower: Large, flashy, and typically diamond head pointed. Designed really for one thing. Handle throws and side viewing. The whole purpose of this knife is to be seen and to make people go AAAAHHHHHHH as it narrowly misses something it would damage if it hit. Or be obvious when it does hit something. Here again, this is a purpose made item that would not be carried or used for anything other than throwing. May be used at competitions if it meets the size and weight requirements. Still not versatile.
Might be stored in a knife roll with the rest of the set it comes with.

Some few throwing knives are designed to exceed their name, they'll chop, pry, puncture hard materials and can be fitted as speartips and other improvised weapons. Each knife has its designed use, and then its extra-design uses. Find one that meets as many needs as possible and you'll find that it will be more satisfying than one that meets fewer.

All that being said. You can throw just about anything from scissors, to screwdrivers, to pencils, to actual sharpened wood sticks. So find something that works for you, based on solid research and testing. And you'll never regret it.

- Hal Zucati

Last edited:
Back