What kind of lighter?

Also, after you fill up your Zippo, lay it down on a napkin, on its side. Any excess that will potentially leak out in your pocket, will get soaked up by the napkin.

The Porsche Designs PDJL1A Butane Titanium lighter has a piezoelectric igniter, so you don’t have to worry about flint corrosion.F4CA531F-F421-4BF6-8648-E9DAF68F6490.jpeg4F0E8A08-95BC-4E21-9DEE-F7E5DF9E1173.jpeg

I usually like to start my fires with Michter’s Small Batch bourbon (swirl some in a glass and it will light with a match)

There are a lot of cool lighters available, but nothing matches the overall reliability of a Bic.

If you're going into harsh conditions, a cover/case like the Exotac Fire Sleeve will keep it dry and protect the fuel lever so it won't leak butane because something bumped it. Another option (which I use), is to make a little loop of 1/8" shock cord and use it to hold the little lever up to prevent fuel escaping in your pocket or pack. If it's really cold outside, carry it close to your body and should work well enough.

But Zippos are really cool and fun. If you don't mind filling the frequently, they're going to work in almost any conditions.

I'm with the majority on this one. Mini Bic.

Compact, lightweight, durable, reliable, lasts a long time, easy to use.

There are a couple mods you can do to the Bic. You can fit a small split ring through the air vents on the metal guard piece. That's useful if you want to put a lanyard on the Bic to stop yourself from losing it if it falls out of your pocket. You can also wrap a foot of duct tape around the base. Duct tape has a million uses. It works as tinder too. Something about the adhesive makes it burn well. Last but not least, if you put a small zip tie around the top so that it tucks under the lip of the red button, it will stop accidental leakage from occurring when the button gets randomly bumped into by something.

I'm with the majority on this one. Mini Bic.

Compact, lightweight, durable, reliable, lasts a long time, easy to use.

There are a couple mods you can do to the Bic. You can fit a small split ring through the air vents on the metal guard piece. That's useful if you want to put a lanyard on the Bic to stop yourself from losing it if it falls out of your pocket. You can also wrap a foot of duct tape around the base. Duct tape has a million uses. It works as tinder too. Something about the adhesive makes it burn well. Last but not least, if you put a small zip tie around the top so that it tucks under the lip of the red button, it will stop accidental leakage from occurring when the button gets randomly bumped into by something.

Guy McVer: Good ideas and well stated. Allow me to add a mod/ addition. Gearward products makes a simple , very slim, almost weightless & watertight Mini-Bic, bicycle inner tube type , rubber sleeve, with a built in grommet ( $5-$6 ). It slips thru a keychain neck lanyard, etc. You can also cut the sleeve into 1/2” slices and use the slices as tinder. I wrap a few turns of electrical tape, ending in a pull -tab, around the body of the lighter, smack up against the plunger, to prevent accidental discharge. Lastly, I spray the rubber sleeve, inside and out , with a bit of silicone spray, which dries very quickly. It keeps the rubber supple and aids in slippping the light, plunger first, into the tight sleeve. I use yellow colored Min-Bics. Easy to see if dropped and easy to monitor fluid level by holding a small flashlight to the side of the lighter. Carry 2 or more. “ One is none . Two is one.”

I use yellow colored Min-Bics. Easy to see if dropped and easy to monitor fluid level by holding a small flashlight to the side of the lighter.
The Bic lighters with artwork designs on them are good for that. The designs are printed on a thin outer sleeve that's wrapped around the main body of the lighter. They don't even use adhesive, so once you cut it, the outer plastic comes off really easy. The main body underneath is always a semi-transparent white color. You don't need to use a flashlight to see the fluid level through it.

Ok ive read ALL the comments. and saw no one recommended the "Permanant Match"
these were used many years ago .. like a Zippo they require fluid/fuel. but the striker has a small piece of cotton/fabric
on the tip below the striker.. the rod/striker screws into the body. you unscrew the rod /pull out the striker and 1-3 strikes you have a fire on the
end of the metal stick.. i found these online and bought a 6 pack just because.. a couple of these with a small container of fuel would last you many years..

The flint for that permanent match.... as for a fuel Zippo...will calcify and become useless over time. So for either one you should carry extra flints as well as fuel. On my Zippo I keep 3-4 flints under the cotton.

these were used many years ago .. like a Zippo they require fluid/fuel. but the striker has a small piece of cotton/fabric
on the tip below the striker.. the rod/striker screws into the body. you unscrew the rod /pull out the striker and 1-3 strikes you have a fire on the
end of the metal stick.. i found these online and bought a 6 pack just because.. a couple of these with a small container of fuel would last you many years..

Did you buy the ones in the link? I remember - years ago - when these were in popular use. The reason I am asking if you bought the ones in the link - if yes, how is the quality? The ones I remember from 40-50 years ago were good quality - but I'm skeptical of new ones today - not having had any in hand.

i bought something very much like those in the link.. they seem fine for what they are. only problem could be if the fluid evaporates quickly.
if you carried a bit as spare you could be good to go for a long time..
they are not made like the better ones of yesterday, but again should still work fine.. like me it appears YOU OLD !! (He-He)

The flint for that permanent match.... as for a fuel Zippo...will calcify and become useless over time. So for either one you should carry extra flints as well as fuel. On my Zippo I keep 3-4 flints under the cotton.
i dont believe these use a flint at all.. more like a small piece of steel to spark once stricken on the ferro rod on the outside of the case

"i dont believe these use a flint at all.. more like a small piece of steel to spark once stricken on the ferro rod on the outside of the case"

My error. You're correct. Mine isn't exactly the permanent match. It is a replica "trench lighter", which is a different beast. Sorry.

I've not had any luck with these. The wick burns away when the fuel is finished and then you're screwed.

Interesting fact. It is next to impossible to find Bic lighters in the United Kingdom.

I have found one or two online retailers selling standard mimi packs, but no full size, no piezo models. You never see them in stores. Everywhere that sells lighters sells only the Poppel brand. Bought some, they are piezoelectric, took one on a jungle trip, it got wet and would not produce a flame until we were back home.

My guide on that trip complained about Zippo fuel leaks. He liked the various Peanut Lighters, but carried a Bic in an Exotac case, and an Exotac Nano Strike since the wet destroys unsealed ferry rods too.

Keep it simple and inexpensive. Bic lighters . I like my butane lighters for cigar time, but a five pack of Bics go a long way.
Bics are cheap, you can replace the just about anywhere and in my experience rarely fail, Ive drowned 'em swimming, blow on the flint, rub on your shirt, they still work, Ive pulled 'em out of packs that sat for years, still works, sure they have a limited lifespan but how long you spendin in the bush mate!?

Interesting fact. It is next to impossible to find Bic lighters in the United Kingdom.

I have found one or two online retailers selling standard mimi packs, but no full size, no piezo models. You never see them in stores. Everywhere that sells lighters sells only the Poppel brand. Bought some, they are piezoelectric, took one on a jungle trip, it got wet and would not produce a flame until we were back home.

My guide on that trip complained about Zippo fuel leaks. He liked the various Peanut Lighters, but carried a Bic in an Exotac case, and an Exotac Nano Strike since the wet destroys unsealed ferry rods too.
Wow no bic lighters.?!..I thought I lived in a nanny state! In Vic Australia
Are trained and qualified adults still able to use Birthday Candles? In a safe and controlled enviroment,assuming they have the proper permits issued in advance, and children are not present!?

Lighter availability is usually more one of sellers, shipping and imports, no one is going to pay if the costs cannot be spread over ten or a hundred thousand units. I've been surprised a what I've found at places when a product seems to be unobtainium, and sometimes the thing you think should be easy, just cannot be found. Rules or not.

As for permanent matches, I have yet to find one that seems of high enough quality to use as actual emergency equipment, but they are kinda neat.
Lots of good ideas so far, the main thing is to try them in your local conditions, because what "obviously" works in one part of the world is just as "obviously stupid" in another.

Huh? Have you tried the big A?

Back