What kind of lighter?

Interesting fact. It is next to impossible to find Bic lighters in the United Kingdom.

I have found one or two online retailers selling standard mimi packs
The packs of mini Bics are exactly what you want. Order several, put them in all your kits, stash them everywhere around the house, and put a few unopened spares away somewhere for good measure.
Bics are cheap, you can replace the just about anywhere and in my experience rarely fail, Ive drowned 'em swimming, blow on the flint, rub on your shirt, they still work, Ive pulled 'em out of packs that sat for years, still works, sure they have a limited lifespan but how long you spendin in the bush mate!?
They'll even survive a trip through the clothes washer and dryer. I've lost track of how many times that I or someone else has pulled clothes out of the dryer only to discover a fully functioning Bic lighter.

They're built like tanks.

Huh? Have you tried the big A?
Not until you asked. And the answer is yes, Amazon UK šŸ˜ has sellers that sell Bic lighters. However I make a big effort not to buy anything from Amazon. I donā€™t even look there. I looked online with several search engines, in multiple super markets, mini marts, bodega type stores, street markets, smoking shops, gas stations and Ā£1 stores, all places that sell lighters. None sold Bic.

While the suggestion that the UK is a nanny state that doesnā€™t permit people to buy lighters is laughably absurd, I wonder whether there is some EU type regulation that has made it hard for Bic to sell or compete in this market via the usual retailers. Meh. It is curious but not enough to make a big thing about finding out why.

That Exotac Titan is like a big version of the peanut lighter I carry. Maybe worth a look.

Also look at the Djeep lighter. It's about the same size and shape as a zippo so it fits the hand well in use. I started using them as a kid as they outlast a bic. Though I did get a couple bad ones a few years ago, I suspect they were knockoffs as I bought them all from one place. Don't know if their still made in France like the old ones.

bic-lighter-5-pack-daf2fc64-f411-4cac-a371-e4f3043f5883.png

After 50 years experience I settled on good old wood matches in a waterproof container. In Alaska liquid fuels fail at about 30 below zero when you need it most. Can run out, accidentally discharge. Bic usually works but had the lighters rust up get dirt grease debris in the moving parts to they fail. Not light in the wind. I carry matches and prefer rubber strips to get burning and light any fire. I like the electric kinds but if set aside for months run out of power. More then just sure thing I like 'fast.' I may be getting hypothermia within seconds if I fall through the ice.

Hey all,

What is a good type of lighter to keep in a cabinet or go-bag? Butane, plasma, electronic?

Check out the Exotac Titanlight.

I can second the Titanlight. I got one when they first came out, filled it up, and lit it twice a day long enough to light a fire under normal conditions, for several months before I gifted it to a friend going on a trip and it still lit the day I gave it to him. I have one piece of advice though, when you remove the lid let it air out for a minute before lighting because if it was lying in a pack some fuel will build up inside the capped area and lighting it too quickly gets more flames than you want.

Master Nylo: As stated , Iā€™m with u on the Bic. I used to use Duct or Gorilla tape, wrapped around my Bic, as a tape source for small repairs and first-aid. Iā€™ve since discovered the Gearward closed top, bicycle rubber holder sleeve, with metal grommet top , to put it on a key or neck chain or lanyard. Makes the Bic watertight in the sleeve & protects it from accidental discharge, if u donā€™t push it in too far. I also wrap the area below the lighter plunger with a few!turns of electrical tape , lull tab at the end to keep the plunger from being depressed. Others wrap a small. zip tie and cut off the excess to do the same task You canā€™t also cut the sleeve into about 5 x 1/2ā€ pieces of rubber timder. I spray silicone on mine periodically to keep it supple. It rides on my keychain. I guess that u could make ur own if you heat seal a piece of bicycle race tire and add a grommet.

Now I keep 12ā€ x 2ā€, of Gorilla Tape wound round my medium sized Bison capsule containing my emergency meds. The capsule is also on my keychain, along with a Fennix EO-5 ( w. Energizer Lithium AAA battery), P-38, medium Bison tube whistle, Christy Knife ( which I remove if Iā€™m going into a location with metal detectors, yellow bulb Photon Freedom coin cell light ( carried switch in in its plastic holder to prevent accidental ā€œonā€) , small pry key, , Swiss-Tech Utili tool and some keys and car fob. Itā€™s a bit big & heavy. But I don't find it obvious or uncomfortable in a suit or jeans. And it gives me a secure feeling and emergency options. I used to carry a small AA plastic compass on the keychain too. But the unprotected plastic bubble top got so scratched-up, I couldnā€™t read the compass. Anyone have any ideas for a compass replacement?

PS: I have 10-15 waterproof Storm Matches , 2 striker boards , 2 compressed Tinder Tabs and a small BSA ferro rod in a small Zip-Loc bag in my EDC bag. I donā€™t think the BSA rod is offered my longer. But small ferro rods r available on the internet.

Last edited:
Back