What kitchen knife do you use most frequently?

I find that I probably use my Mac Santoku ( Pro Series, MSK-65, I think) most often. What about you?

Kanetsune Gyuto 210mm KC-102. I am amazed with this knife. Cuts like a laser. light and comfortable. I love it.

The chef's knife I made a bit over a year ago.

The odd thing is that this is the first chef's knife I've used regularly. My first serious cooking style was Chinese and I've mostly used a Chinese cleaver instead, then sometimes a santoku once we got one in the kitchen. Now I hardly reach for the cleaver. Wonder if that with change if I ever manage to spring for one of Butch's beauties.

I use my fillets & slicers most often.Reason being,is my wife does most of the prep for most meals,so chopping veggies,etc,is done more by her.
I however,do most all the grilling & carving of the poultry & meat,so its mostly the slicing knives that I use
When I prepare dishes completely ,I freakin' break out alotta knives.I'll peel onions with one,chop with another,etc...The'll be knives everywhere.One time,I was cutting outer leaves off a head of cauliflower,switched knives in mid project,when I swooped the discarded stuff into the waste basket,along with the stuff went an AG Russell folding Hocho.I looked high n low,only to realize ,looking back,what had happened.Funny thing,in AG's original write up in his catalogue for that knife,he states,"Don't set this knife down,someone will swipe it" I was looking at people funny around here 'til I figured out what I did
Sorry for the long wind
-Vince

Last edited:
The chef's knife I made a bit over a year ago.

The odd thing is that this is the first chef's knife I've used regularly. My first serious cooking style was Chinese and I've mostly used a Chinese cleaver instead, then sometimes a santoku once we got one in the kitchen. Now I hardly reach for the cleaver. Wonder if that with change if I ever manage to spring for one of Butch's beauties.

I've got a Chinese cleaver that is a great slicer, and also a 6 1/2" Japanese Veg Knife (Kakugata nakiri) that take a wicked edge...but somehow tend to reach for the Santoku. I think it is the balance/size/cutting combination. It is also stainless and more forgiving of my (and my wife's) abuse.

My global vegetable knife. Love the thing, and rarely miss not having a point to work with.

1.jpg

Actually, the ones I use most are my Victorinox paring knives. Sharp, cheap, and generally an all-around great deal.

- Mark

I use my Shun classic chef knife more than any other knife in my collection. It's ability to hold and edge is truly amazing and it cuts like a laser too.

I use one of several Santoku's for just about everything in the kitchen. From 5 to 7 inch.

The Chinese chef knife my pop gave me. Have quite a few nice ones, including a kanetsune (same material as Shun), but it still the one i use most.

Actually, the ones I use most are my Victorinox paring knives. Sharp, cheap, and generally an all-around great deal.

- Mark

SWMBO absolutely loves her Victorinox paring knives and chef's knife. You'd think they were expensive customs not inexpensive knives.
She's a fantastic cook so what the heck, I'm not going to argue.

8" chef's knife....A Lamson, Kershaw Shun (steel handle), or a global. But am leaning towards a santoku.

I've got quite a few, but a Global nakiri is my main go-to knife.

AG Russell folding Hocho.I looked high n low,only to realize ,looking back,what had happened.Funny thing,in AG's original write up in his catalogue for that knife,he states,"Don't set this knife down,someone will swipe it" I was looking at people funny around here 'til I figured out what I did
Sorry for the long wind
-Vince
BTW, what did you think of this knife? The reason I ask is that I go to a lot of parties and cook, and carry a briefcase modified to carry my tools, but i would like to keep something like a Hocho in my car, because I seem to end up cooking no matter where I go (and without fail, the knives that are "there" are almost always dull) a VG10 cooking folder sounds pretty sexy ;)

Back