What kitchen knife do you use most frequently?

Yeah, I should have said "zero maintenance" aside from sharpening. ;) I do sharpen it as it does dull after a while. It does take me a while, but after about 100 strokes on my sharpmaker, it gets back to where I need it. That was one of the touted benefits of Cera-Titan over plain Ceramic, is that you could use standard ceramic or diamond sharpeners on it.

A home modified Henkels that some kids in the arctic used to chop caribou bones and took a huge chunk out of. My mother in law brought it south for me to do something with, and it turned into our "Cocobolo Kitchen Knife":

IMG_3752.jpg

(top one if you could not guess)

I love the Shun 8" chef's knife, 3 1/2" paring knife, and because I bake hard crusted Italian bread....their 9" bread knife. Simply great tools that help me get the job done fast.

I have found that 90% of my kitchen needs are met by my 3.25 Victorinox parer. It takes a scary sharp edge and is stain-less to boot. For large stuff, I have an ancient 8in. Gerber Balance Plus that I scored at a local thrift store.

My current most used kitchen knife is this little paring knife I made.

3924440606_5ec569bc41_o.jpg

I will be supplementing it soon with an 8" chef knife similar to this.

4797881094_459581eb58_b.jpg

I'm all done grinding and it's down to finish sanding and making a handle (probably amboyna with CF bolsters). I've been wanting a chef knife for a long time and I'm keeping this one. I'm sure it will become the cornerstone of my kitchen.

DSC00363.jpg
top is murray carter-- hitachi white core at 65rr--next old henckels i use for briskets & steamship rounds. bottom is the great snakewood m4 parer by phillip dobson. dennis

I recently picked up this vintage MAC 6.5" utility knife off eBay for $20. Put an 18 degree edge on with my EdgePro and I'm amazed at how well this thing cuts. Thin blade stock has something to do with it but it is a great slicer.
B2fU5KQB2kKGrHqJjYEpPilqWBMiuNCQs_3.jpg

Last edited:
Currently this one, but I'm looking at getting a custom later:

Img469.jpg

I also have these from Bark River which get used a lot:

IMG_7153.jpg

Chef_Lignum_Vite_M.jpg

Clearly, the most used knives in my kitchen are the 240mm gyutos. I have about a dozen of them so I speak of them as a group.

i just got the same one , from a thrift store for 2 buck !!! thats a great knife .
colorful name is a bit worn on mine .

In the kitchen I use my Shun pro...it's the best I've found so far. I worked in a deli once and we had this knife that reminded me of a smaller scale replica of an Arabian knight knife. I'd love to get one again... anyone know where I could find one?

I worked in a deli once and we had this knife that reminded me of a smaller scale replica of an Arabian knight knife. I'd love to get one again... anyone know where I could find one?

Are you talking about a cimeter? You can find them on most sites that sell kitchen or butchery knives.

Technically, I need two knives in the kitches:

Kasumi 4.5" Utility in 33-layer high-carbon steel:
83358_1_b.jpg

And Shun 7.75 Chinese Chef's knife in 16-layer high-carbon steel:
dm-0712_resize.jpg

I am curious as to why so use so manu of the same size?

Japanese cutlery tends to be standardized; even the gyutos; and even though the balance can vary wildly, if you've used and liked on 240mm gyuto, you'll want to use the rest of them.

Back