What multitool or SAK did you buy today

I bought a NOS one a few years ago, new in the box, and put it somewhere so it would stay new and now I can't find it.

Stuff like that will eventually drive me nuts...

I thought I posted to this thread yesterday. :rolleyes: Last week, I noticed that my wife's car didn't have a multitool in it. Turns out my older son took it when he moved out (a Juice, maybe?). I had a Leatherman Blast in my camping van so put that in my wife's car (not that she'd ever use it on her own) and decided to get a Wave to replace it. My main ride, a Land Cruiser carries my Wave which is about the perfect tool for me (although rarely used). I didn't realize they changed it out slightly by installing replaceable wire cutter blades but that's OK. Looking around, I saw LL Bean had them on sale for about $102 with a 15% off coupon. Plus, I had a credit with them for about $67 so, after tax and free shipping, I'm out of pocket about $40. Arrived today and looked fine. I had to spend a few minutes on the knife blade to get it a bit sharper although it was fine for most any task out of the box. I just knew I could get it a little bit better. Too bad they don't come with the lovely brown leather sheaths like on my old one as I won't spend $20 plus shipping for a replica Leatherman is selling on their website.

The wife and I went on a local art crawl today, and the first place we stopped had a display case of pocket knives. They were all pretty cheap, but the one that caught my eye was this little guy right here:

uxwxrXp.jpg

akKY08t.jpg

34EifuJ.jpg

I cleaned it up, reprofiled the blades a bit, and gave it a little oil. Other than some gunk on the blade and scuffs on the scales, it looked mostly unused. I think I did pretty well for $20.

The wife and I went on a local art crawl today, and the first place we stopped had a display case of pocket knives. They were all pretty cheap, but the one that caught my eye was this little guy right here:

uxwxrXp.jpg

akKY08t.jpg

34EifuJ.jpg

I cleaned it up, reprofiled the blades a bit, and gave it a little oil. Other than some gunk on the blade and scuffs on the scales, it looked mostly unused. I think I did pretty well for $20.
My EDC and, probably, my favorite small SAK.

Not so much bought as found. This little guy turned up under the washer machine. Scales had popped off, tweezers are long gone and there was a lot of surface rust on the blades. 15 minutes of scrubbing later and some super glue for the scales and it’s plenty serviceable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 2
K kamakiri.knives I just got this 91mm with solid scales. All tools look unused :)
Was it called Original Camper with the long nail file behind the scissors or was it a Traveler? From the signs it´s pre 1973, but maybe you got some advice what to look for in the details?
Beautiful! Nice find. 👍

Looks like it is early-mid 1973. Based on the caplifter and scissor details. I’m figuring it’s a VOS obverse tang stamp. Liners on either side of the scissors look the same from the top. Could be a bit later, because it’s an advertising scale, but I doubt it based on what I see. I’d need to see pic of the knife flipped over with the same pose to confirm 100%. Model code should be 245a. I’m not sure these were named. Closest to a Traveler, since it doesn’t have a keyring. People would know what you mean if you used Traveler LNF or Climber LNF (which is more commonly used AFAIK).

A fisherman's folding multiplier tool, German made, but by whom and when?
View attachment 2438986
View attachment 2438987
View attachment 2438988
View attachment 2438989
View attachment 2438990
View attachment 2438992
View attachment 2438993
Even multiple Google image searches turned up nothing. Fit and finish aren't bad, but definitely not the quality of a Leatherman WAVE. Anyone familiar with this tool? T-A
I can’t say I’m familiar with it as I don’t own one, but I have seen similar tools in Hoffritz catalogs…so it might also show up as other brands. One other tool which may have been made by the same manufacturer or use the same patents for the plier jaws is the Overland Fisherman’s Friend. Those had patent numbers stamped on the handle, and might be the way to chase down what you’re looking for.

Found a Wenger in the back of a box of bits and pieces belonging to my grandfather, must have been a present that he never used? The scissors spring mechanism is much better than the SAK I take on holiday? first post, trying to work out how to insert a photo....

Back