What other Knives AREN'T available -or- What kind of knives should the Kamis make?

Boy I wonder if anyone else here would be interested in a Golok, Barong, Pedang, Bolo Mandau or any other blade style similar to those typical of the Malay, Indonesian and Filipin archipeligo. I know I would be. I wish I had the tech to put up a picture or drawing of what I am taking about but I am sure that some of you guys know exactly what I am taking about. I didn't read all the posts so maybe it's already been suggested. When you find them here the prices are out of control. That's what really brought me here. Serious blades at realistic prices.

Dave Fulton and Smoke I just read your reply's. I am right there with you! I forgot about the kerambit. I wanted to suggest a Keris (southern Filipino style)but I thought it was to much to ask for. I know the Indonesian style is totally out of the question.

C.Augusto,

You are certainly at the right place. If you can sketch it and fax it to me, I'll post it.

The only stipulation is that each sketch must fit on a sheet of 8 1/2" X 11" paper. Anything bigger than that is too hard to clean up and convert to a .jpg image.

When you're ready, send me an e-mail and i'll give you my fax number.

Blackdog

------------------
Visit the GH Forum Photo gallery at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=890558
See a quick view of the Gurkha House Line-up http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=896858

A neck knife or a legal carrying knife (3" and shorter) with a full tang would be nice to. I like the idea of a forward curve, Khukuri style, on a short blade. Sort of like a legal micro-me that is functional. They would probably be real cheap to make and ship to. I'll bet they would sell like hot-cakes. Contrary to most people's opinions I think the forward curve makes for a good self protection knife.

Below are sketches for prototypes sent in by Coyote.

View

Some wild looking stuff, thanks Coyote.

Blackdog

------------------
Visit the GH Forum Photo gallery at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=890558
See a quick view of the Gurkha House Line-up http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=896858

[This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 07 December 1999).]

Those are pretty cool designs, coyote. I don't know which one I like best.

I like C.Augusto's idea too.

I wonder what the Kamis are going to think.

Blackdog, thanks for putting them up for me. You did a great job of cleaning them up. I would like to see what you guys think. Please give me feedback. I have many ideas and would love to combine these with some really good carry systems as I have mentioned. It should be noted that the sword design has a reinforced tip like a tanto but is more svelt and should penetrate better and it should be an excellent slasher with the sweep but I would not know till it was built and used. Also do you think that these blades are too thick? I would like them to be fast but also pack some power especially the swords.

Coyote: GREAT design. It reminds me of a fish filet knife in shape. I hope you realize that I will be "mining" this thread for info to take with me when I go.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig thank you for the comments. I have borrowed some from the past and from some newer designs that I think are good. I am hopefull that you will be able to have some or even all of these built. You have my permission to use them as you can. If you need more info to go on please let me know and I may be able to help.

Coyote, absolutely - I will take everything with me. I hope you will allow the Kami who ends up making the prototypes the honor of naming your creation. I'd like to see what he thinks it should be called.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

That would be great. I think that they are exotic blades and I was bemoaning the fact that I do not know the native languages of the region and could not name them appropriately. I may be able to dream up more if you would like me to.

This topic has generated a lot of interest and has become really long and slow to load. So, I've started a new thread with the same name today. All of the drawings that were submitted so far have also been copied there.

If you have an idea for a new blade/knife style PLEASE DO SEND IT IN. All of these drawings will be going with Craig to Nepal early next year.

Blackdog

------------------
Visit the GH Photo Gallerys at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=104694

Just a note to bring this to the top. This is one thread we've printed out and will take to Nepal with us for consideration.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

How about a Scottish Skian Dhu? One with a sharpened edge! They are hard to find.

Smoke mentioned some of the Filipino stuff, that would be cool too. Maybe invite some custom designs?

Vince

------------------
Stay sharp and be Safe!
------- ---- ---------
That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.
F.W. Nietzche

How about a Chinese Gim (Jian) sword?

Ok, I'm very late on this thread but FWIW:

A real chinese sword would be great but the kamis would certainly need a decent prototype which clearly shows the three essential blade sections:
- very strong and almost blunt near the handle
- the strong and sharp midsection and
- the razor-sharp and rather flexible "tip"
This blade configuration and the two edges make it very different from Khukuri-like blades and probably quite a challenge for a gifted kami.

I'd second Dave and the others in that any high quality utility version of Filipino (or SE Asian) blades will easily compete with what is usually available to FMA/IMA enthusiasts - a market that maybe larger than the Khukuri niche...

Personally, I'd be also interested in more or less traditional blades from the Nepali/Indian subcontinent
wink.gif
and neighbouring cultures (Persian, etc.).

An example would be the following fishing knife:
cool.gif

compkaiericwittetwo.jpg

This design is sometimes referred to as "Khanjar" but IMHO it is very different from the regular Khanjar with a broad and rather thin blade with only a single curve and a distinct rib along the midline giving limited stability. Anybody with an idea how the shown blade should be called in Nepali language?

I've sent Craig another Nepali broadsword design (still not posted on the competition page ;o) which has a much more curved blade than the popular Yathagans and could be easily a hybrid between the kopis design and an oversize Khukuri resulting in a very elegant battlefield broadsword. You can see a pair of these photographed by Uncle Bill in a Museum in Kathmandu (IIRC) on the HI FAQ: http://www.tx3.net/~howardw/Khukuris/ShasWeapons2.jpg
Again, I'd be very interested to know how this beast is specifically called (vs. just lumping it with generic Khanda/Pattisa designs), especially in Nepali! Ideas/hints, anybody???

Best wishes,
kai

Back