what to do about a sheath?

So, I received my first survive! Knife (gso 4.1) and so far the knife seems fine. I only say 'fine' because I've only taken the knife out for use once, and briefly at that. The kydex sheath is sturdy enough, however I cannot tolerate wearing it. Where it attaches to my belt causes the knife to jab me in the ribs constantly. It is so uncomfortable that it has dissuaded me from using the knife much at all. I've seen attachements for the stock sheath but they seem to be sold out (or I'm not finding the option to purchase on the website). I also am not interested in spending another $150 for a custom sheath at this time. Does anyone have any simple modifications or know somewhere that I can purchase an extension of some sort? any help here would be much appreciated.

Well, I feel a bit sheepish that I didn't find that on my own. Thank you very much Chris!

Well, I feel a bit sheepish that I didn't find that on my own. Thank you very much Chris!

That's what a helpful sub-forum is all about. I have one of their attachments, and if you dislike wearing the knife high as I did, it will make a world of difference.

I ordered a 12x12 inch piece of leather and some screws from knifekits.com. Cut a strip that fit my sheath (folded over). Pumched some holes and made a leather dropper loop. Its much more comfortable. It rides right where i like it to ride. It also allows for a little wiggle on my belt and isnt as rigid as the kydex clip.

Sorry about the blurry pics. I also ordered a Skystorm leather bushcraft dangler sheath for it, which is what I usually carry it in. I made a leather sheath for my 3.5 and made a clear kydex sheath for my 3.5 and necker. Somewhere in one of the threads you can find my pics.

Everyone has had some great advice. There is a thread here where Halestorm, of Halestorm custom kydex, displayed some of his kydex and nylon drop down attachments. If I can take a break from buying knives, I'd like to put some money towards those because I prefer Kydex over leather.

I'd second what Texas said about Chiral's dangler attachment.

Buybrown and Azwelke both make attachments for drop loops and danglers. I don't like it riding high either.

All good suggestions, OP. I found chiral.grolim's extension pretty handy.

Riz2530 said:
I ordered a 12x12 inch piece of leather and some screws from knifekits.com.

Riz, do you remember what screws those are? I was going to pick up a few different ones from them on the last order, but quite honestly got lost in all the different ones they had to offer.

On the plus side, I picked up an arbor press and the eyelet dies, so things are looking up :)

So, I received my first survive! Knife (gso 4.1) and so far the knife seems fine. I only say 'fine' because I've only taken the knife out for use once, and briefly at that. The kydex sheath is sturdy enough, however I cannot tolerate wearing it. Where it attaches to my belt causes the knife to jab me in the ribs constantly. It is so uncomfortable that it has dissuaded me from using the knife much at all. I've seen attachements for the stock sheath but they seem to be sold out (or I'm not finding the option to purchase on the website). I also am not interested in spending another $150 for a custom sheath at this time. Does anyone have any simple modifications or know somewhere that I can purchase an extension of some sort? any help here would be much appreciated.

The simplest modification I could think of is loose some weight :D all jokes aside, clip it in you jean pocket. that sheath will never fall off.

Anytime. You may need longer screws if you use 8-10oz leather

I ordered a 12x12 inch piece of leather and some screws from knifekits.com. Cut a strip that fit my sheath (folded over). Pumched some holes and made a leather dropper loop. Its much more comfortable. It rides right where i like it to ride. It also allows for a little wiggle on my belt and isnt as rigid as the kydex clip.

Sorry about the blurry pics. I also ordered a Skystorm leather bushcraft dangler sheath for it, which is what I usually carry it in. I made a leather sheath for my 3.5 and made a clear kydex sheath for my 3.5 and necker. Somewhere in one of the threads you can find my pics.

This looks like a comfortable carry. Nice job there and thanks for sharing!

Thanks to those linking to my Universal Kydex Sheath Extension. To the OP, it's designed to be the most versatile while remaining highly economical, an easy way to carry the knife a bit lower or even dangler-style or cross-draw at an angle, etc. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1298783-Universal-Kydex-Sheath-Extension

AbdCbYw6g-OY0J0ZWt3UHLv-KqqBKQvOm6oy0-iUuPE=w507-h675-no

Anytime. You may need longer screws if you use 8-10oz leather

The leather loops included with my extensions are currently made from the knifekits.com leather, I use the 0.375 truss-head screws to go through two layers of leather with enough length to screw into a 1/4" or 3/8" slotted post - the longer post would be better, but I usually include a shorter post to better fit a Tek-Lok.

The leather loops included with my extensions are currently made from the knifekits.com leather, I use the 0.375 truss-head screws to go through two layers of leather with enough length to screw into a 1/4" or 3/8" slotted post - the longer post would be better, but I usually include a shorter post to better fit a Tek-Lok.

Thanks for the info CG.

Or this...........

Drop piece is .125 (1/8") super heavy duty Kydex. Sheath is .080 heavy duty. Nylon drop loop is Scuba Webbing (strongest I can find anywhere). Hardware is steel posts and black oxide stainless steel screws. All parts Made in the U.S.A.

Survive!Knives are tough as hell. Why shouldn't the sheath be tough as hell and yet comfortable to wear? Much easier to draw the knife with the long nylon web loop. Flexes easily when sitting. I wear this rig when on the lake for 12 hours at a time. Forget it's there sometimes.

2hxoyhi.jpg
[/IMG]
2dusdg.jpg
[/IMG]
ookgj.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a plan for a clip that'll be height adjustable for higher or lower carry (not super low, but lower). Need to test it for durability and I'll see what comes of it.

I have a plan for a clip that'll be height adjustable for higher or lower carry (not super low, but lower). Need to test it for durability and I'll see what comes of it.

I like the sound of that!

Back