What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Mammoth TC Tuesday

IMG_20140910_171920_zpsnqdcgpro.jpg

Went to Smokey Mountain Knifeworks last week, and my head exploded. Coolest place on the planet. I picked up this barlow because I liked the honey colored covers, it reminds me of the honey bone on the latest run of the 54 moose. This is a Winchester barlow, made by queen, commissioned by blue grass cutlery.

JH_Barlow_00.jpg

My RR Marlin Spike is my favorite homebrew beermaking knife. The blade opens bags of grain, and the spike does a decent job as an ice-pick, breaking up bagged ice.
Interesting! I'm really reluctant to start a new hobby just to use my marlin spike! :rolleyes:

Micarta Monday!

That denim micarta looks awesome on that knife, thefrank! :thumbsup:

Forgot. Carried this Case Sowbelly in CV and Chestnut bone today.
Below is new. Has a few black spots on it now.
3de3ebc6-086e-4c3b-a8b5-7aa4aed3d04d_zpshprjzgss.jpg
Superb sowbelly, Frank! :cool:

Time to get the CJ out for a bit.

IMG_4432.jpg
Will, you've acquired some brilliant black box Winchesters of late! :thumbsup:

*Yawn* Good morning everyone.

7kcYMD0h.jpg

Going with the Lambsfoot today after several days without a pocketknife while traveling light and carrying on.
Greg, if you've been "carrying on" for several days, it's probably best that you didn't have a knife! ;)

Paradigmatic pair, Alan! :thumbsup: I can see why that 73 has won your heart! :cool:

I turned 56 today and yesterday morning I spent some time with my wife opening a few gifts that she bought me. Renee has bought me several knives as gifts over the years and receiving yet another knife from her yesterday put me in a sentimental mood and got me thinking about what it is that I really want in my pocket.

I've decided that although I have many knives that I adore and like to carry, I will probably get the most enjoyment from carrying at least one of the knives that were picked out and gifted to me by my lovely wife, Renee.
So starting today the Case/Bose Norfolk that I've had in my watch pocket for 3 months is going to get replaced by this Case Ruger Peanut. My intent is to make it a permanent companion but I know better than to get my hopes up about that. I'll see how it goes but that's my plan.

View attachment 714569
Happy Birthday, Rick! :thumbsup: I think carrying a meaningful gift knife from your wife is a fantastic idea! :cool: Do you ever carry more than one knife at a time? You could make that peanut from Renee permanent, and "rotate" your second knife to fit your mood, whim, or needs for the day.

These two today:

Outstanding orange, Tom! :cool: Do you have both a Pioneer AND a Farmer in orange, or did I misidentify at least one of your Alox SAKs recently?? :confused:

GT, you've hit a few of my personal high notes this week. This one in particular is gorgeous. Is the maker M.Z. Toledo then? Is it olive wood?
Thanks, Tom; my daughter purchased the knife in the Toledo workshop of Mariano Zamorano, who seems to be a quite famous knife (and sword) maker. But a Spanish BF member presented convincing evidence that the knife is actually a production folder distributed by the Spanish company Nieto, and Zamorano just puts on his own blade etch and sells them to tourists who can't afford his handmade work. You can read more about the knife and see more photos in this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...-show-your-christmas-birthday-knives.1456769/

34917722366_df9e41c2b9_b.jpg

Yesterday's MAM-morial day carry. Ha, beat ya to it, Gary! :p;):D
:D:thumbsup: Dang it, FBC, you got me! I've been thinking for a while how I could work in the knife giving you wonderful MAMories, without sounding too anatomical! :rolleyes::p

Thanks, GT! I'm probably not the best wharncliffe salesman. I like them well enough, and they're good for all the things a pointy straight edge is good for -- opening packages, making small precise cuts using the tip of the blade, etc. -- but I've never found any particular advantage over, say, a sheepsfoot. I can say from experience that that #47 Viper is handy for removing splinters. :D
I'm carrying my #15 Farm Boy today.

C638ACA7-CF00-4BDE-8F84-1D29A0EEA7A6.jpg
Thanks for giving the wharncliffe sales pitch a try, Barrett! ;) I think the blade shape is exotic and intriguing, but that thin tip in my fumbling hands seems like a disaster wait to happen! :eek: I admire your devotion to your Farm Boy! :thumbsup:

msfZGhRl.jpg

So, here is the #54 SFO in Ironwood.. Not only do I like it , it feels and looks like the best frame yet...
Marvelous wood, Methuselah! :cool:

Thank you, Gary. Splendid carry! I think that is the grail of the Yankee Barlows. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) As I mentioned to Barrett above, I'm rather ambivalent about my qualifications to use a wharncliffe blade.:confused:

Mammoth TC Tuesday

Yowza, Dee! That mammoth TC is majestic! :cool::thumbsup: Did you rehaft it yourself??

... Gary, the serrated SAK is a Wenger Esquire in brushed stainless steel.

I carried these two today.

DN5cWx1l.jpg

Have a good one!

Ken K.
Thanks for the ID, Ken. :thumbsup: My confidence in my pattern recognition skills is not high. Is the lower knife in the photo a single-blade linerlock Eureka jack??

Today I was carrying two Orange ones! :D

34942109225_c0fd13ac5f_b_d.jpg
The double orange is opulent, Ron! :thumbsup: Wait a minute! That Osage Orange knife is NOT the 73 I was expecting (and have grown to know and love ;)). :confused:

This week my stockman is a Ganzo (thanks, Dave). Sure reminds me of a Buck 373.
jJANosY.jpg

My Euro knife this week is a Carlos Quitana Tarmundi. Don't know what the blade shape is called, but I really like this blade!
esq7JrY.jpg

My miscellaneous knife this week is a 3 1/8" serpentine Imperial jack that my father-in-law used to carry; he gave it to my wife at some point before I met her; she gave it to me in January 2014 and it somehow set off this knife obsession I've had ever since!
gQ9h7UA.jpg

- GT

Thanks Gary. The one thing I noticed about the jigged bone is that it is much lighter than either wood or especially stag.

Happy Birthday, Rick! :thumbsup: I think carrying a meaningful gift knife from your wife is a fantastic idea! :cool: Do you ever carry more than one knife at a time? You could make that peanut from Renee permanent, and "rotate" your second knife to fit your mood, whim, or needs for the day.
- GT

Thanks GT! You laid out my plan perfectly. I do carry two knives. The Peanut will ride in the watch pocket permanently and the right front pocket just below it is reserved for my rotation.:thumbsup:

Greg, if you've been "carrying on" for several days, it's probably best that you didn't have a knife! ;)

My miscellaneous knife this week is a 3 1/8" serpentine Imperial jack that my father-in-law used to carry; he gave it to my wife at some point before I met her; she gave it to me in January 2014 and it somehow set off this knife obsession I've had ever since!
gQ9h7UA.jpg

- GT

LOL! Luggage, GT, carrying on luggage. :D

A lovely Imperial jack you've got there, and a lovely story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

:D:thumbsup: Dang it, FBC, you got me! I've been thinking for a while how I could work in the knife giving you wonderful MAMories, without sounding too anatomical! :rolleyes::p

My Euro knife this week is a Carlos Quitana Tarmundi. Don't know what the blade shape is called, but I really like this blade!
esq7JrY.jpg

- GT
Haha, Gary. I should have known that you would come up with another one. That Tarmundi sure is a cool lookin' knife. :thumbsup:

Today
34870517701_97474de23c_b.jpg

That is a great knife, Jack! :thumbsup: I gave mine to my son many years ago. :(

Thanks Dean, hope he appreciates it :thumbsup:

Two excellent knives, Jack!

For Memorial Day, I decided on my overall favorite carry knife.

Thanks again my friend, great choice :) :thumbsup:

Jack, two great ones to spend your day with! Hope it's a good one for you my friend!:)

Thanks a lot Ron :) :thumbsup:

Happy camper! :)

Jack, your congress jack is the epitome of ebony elegance! :thumbsup:

ly9Cjyk.jpg

Thanks GT, I can understand why you'd keep that in your pocket an extra day :) :thumbsup:

Very nice Will :thumbsup:

Great to see your Lambsfoot Greg :)

I turned 56 today.

Happy Birthday, your wife has great taste :) Nice post :thumbsup:

Terrific Twosome Tom :thumbsup:

Mammoth TC Tuesday

Stunning :thumbsup:

Those two look good together Ron :thumbsup:

Always a treat to see your Taramundi GT :thumbsup:

That really is a beauty Paul :thumbsup:

clear.png
:thumbsup:

Crazy busy this week, need to catch up :thumbsup: Hope everyone is having a good week :thumbsup:

Got these two in my pocket today :thumbsup:

Back