What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I turned 56 today and yesterday morning I spent some time with my wife opening a few gifts that she bought me. Renee has bought me several knives as gifts over the years and receiving yet another knife from her yesterday put me in a sentimental mood and got me thinking about what it is that I really want in my pocket.

I've decided that although I have many knives that I adore and like to carry, I will probably get the most enjoyment from carrying at least one of the knives that were picked out and gifted to me by my lovely wife, Renee.

I spent the better portion of the morning today browsing over the knives Renee has gotten for me and I've decided that this Case Ruger Peanut is going to occupy my watch pocket for the foreseeable future.

This was a Christmas gift from Renee in 2007 and it has yet to be carried. She picked it out herself because she knows how much I like my Ruger Red Label O/U shotgun.

So starting today the Case/Bose Norfolk that I've had in my watch pocket for 3 months is going to get replaced by this Case Ruger Peanut. My intent is to make it a permanent companion but I know better than to get my hopes up about that. I'll see how it goes but that's my plan.

View attachment 714569

A pair of ABS Master Smith's today,

bfjw-jpg.714571

Attachments

• BFJW.jpg
    BFJW.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 191
I turned 56 today and yesterday morning I spent some time with my wife opening a few gifts that she bought me. Renee has bought me several knives as gifts over the years and receiving yet another knife from her yesterday put me in a sentimental mood and got me thinking about what it is that I really want in my pocket.

I've decided that although I have many knives that I adore and like to carry, I will probably get the most enjoyment from carrying at least one of the knives that were picked out and gifted to me by my lovely wife, Renee.

I spent the better portion of the morning today browsing over the knives Renee has gotten for me and I've decided that this Case Ruger Peanut is going to occupy my watch pocket for the foreseeable future.

This was a Christmas gift from Renee in 2007 and it has yet to be carried. She picked it out herself because she knows how much I like my Ruger Red Label O/U shotgun.

So starting today the Case/Bose Norfolk that I've had in my watch pocket for 3 months is going to get replaced by this Case Ruger Peanut. My intent is to make it a permanent companion but I know better than to get my hopes up about that. I'll see how it goes but that's my plan.

View attachment 714569

Happy Birthday Rick!

Rick, Isabella Sophia suggests you treat yourself to some ice cream . . . I heartily concur!

HappyBirthday_zps5a9adc30.jpg~original

Today I went large and small, with a Mustang and a Cadet-- pocket dump:

3d032130-a5e9-4453-9b0a-f8dc11619838_zps6uinqiqy.jpg~original

Last edited:
Nice mod on the sheath :thumbsup:. How does
it carry in the pocket?

Just wonderfully in my opinion. It sits against the back of my pocket, isn't in the way of my wallet or other knife in the bottom of my pocket (if I carry another) and is a lot less bulky. I like it a lot.

View attachment 714569

What a babe ! Awesome idea Rick ! Happy Birthday to you and cheers to Renee :)

A Spanish folder that my daughter got me in Toledo:
ly9Cjyk.jpg

- GT
GT, you've hit a few of my personal high notes this week. This one in particular is gorgeous. Is the maker M.Z. Toledo then? Is it olive wood?

Happy birthday to you Rick. Your Peanut remind me of my red hot Ulster stockman I've been carrying lately. Like that color.

My wife may be out of town, but we still eat well. We divided tasks: I cut the steak while she smashed the banana into a paste and put it in her ears.

She will figure out the correct place for banana soon enough Machina! On of our now-grown daughters had something about putting those tiny Mylar party cutouts up her nostrils.:eek:

Nice photo, Barrett! :cool: Good to see you on The Porch again! :) That Viper looks great, but can you "sell me" on a wharncliffe blade? What are the strengths or the attraction of that blade shape?

Thanks, GT! I'm probably not the best wharncliffe salesman. I like them well enough, and they're good for all the things a pointy straight edge is good for -- opening packages, making small precise cuts using the tip of the blade, etc. -- but I've never found any particular advantage over, say, a sheepsfoot. I can say from experience that that #47 Viper is handy for removing splinters. :D

Good looking #13 American Whittler, Brett! I haven't been able to bring myself to carry mine just yet. :)

That's a beautiful old Catt, @Primble! The bone is just perfect!

Eureka Jack
IMG_4875_zpsmnpc4gaw.jpg

Wonderful #92, Travman Travman ! I love the jigging that GEC does on some of their Northfield knives, although in most other respects I prefer Tidioutes. I wish they would use that premium jigging on their Tidioute knives more often.

I'm carrying my #15 Farm Boy today.

C638ACA7-CF00-4BDE-8F84-1D29A0EEA7A6.jpg

Dean, your TC and your photo leave absolutely nothing to say but WOW! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron! :)

Great choice for today, Dean! :cool:
Thanks for the marlin spike comment. I've never had this pattern before, so I'll have to learn what its capabilities are. It has a big sturdy sheepsfoot blade, and I have some experience with that, but I'm clueless about uses of the locking spike. I feel kind of foolish using it to untie my shoe laces! :rolleyes:

African blackwood 77 Barlow (thanks for the GAW, Jake):
JIzw1XV.jpg

- GT

Thank you, Gary. Splendid carry! I think that is the grail of the Yankee Barlows. :thumbsup:

Time to get the CJ out for a bit.

IMG_4432.jpg

Your Winchester Coffin Jack is a great looking knife, Will, and the farthing(?) a neat coin to partner it with. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dean, most kind! Yes it's a Victorian 'Bun-Head' farthing or 1/4 Penny from 1847, pretty copper colour goes well with the dark brown Rogers Bone.

Regards, Will

Back