What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What would you think about a do-it-yourself knife kit?

Would have a heat-treated, ground blade (finishing up to you), handle material and pins (or lanyard tubes to keep cost down).

These would be very easy to glue up...using a simple 1/4" drill bit and some 2 ton epoxy. :thumbup:

What knife would you want? What handle material? (see poll)

I'm definitely all for this...if I can get a large enough quantity to make the cost low (I'm thinking under $50!!)

Well...whatcha think?

Dan

------------------------------------------------------
****See the new Nessmuk and Bushcraft designs starting on PAGE 6 in this thread****
------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea, but I'd rather just pay for the blade and not the handle material. I understand the reason for adding the handle material, but usually look for something more unique.

Yes...that would be an option as well...:thumbup:

Blanks only
or a full Kit

Just keep in mind that if I do this...it's going to be on just one blade style....maybe two if there's enough interest.

I won't be offering blanks in general for any of my knives.

Dan

Neato idea Dan. I'd imagine wood movement could be a problem occasionally, so I picked mikarta.

Hot damn! I'm in! At that price I would buy two.

Personally I'd prefer the Bushcraft, but dang those K5 kardas are sweet.

First choice: Bushcraft in 0-1 with osage orange or canvas micarta.
Second choice: Karda in some kind of carbon steel, osage orange or canvas micarta.

Last edited:
What do I think about it? If it was the bushcraft for 50 bucks I'd probably buy 2.

What is involved in finishing a HT and ground blade?

What do I think about it? If it was the bushcraft for 50 bucks I'd probably buy 2.

What is involved in finishing a HT and ground blade?

sandpaper and some elbow grease. :D

I would come up with a special logo design specifically for the kit knife. :)

Dan,
Great idea. I've been looking for one of your Nessmuks for some time. I voted for a Nessmuk with micarta and would love to put one together for that price. Wow, this would be great.

Dan,

I would be in for a Karda or a Nessmuk. Handle is not as important to me.

Good idea. For 50$ a full kit I'm in :)

Leather sheath should be an option too.

I would think the Bushcraft would be the obvious choice since most of the people looking for a bushcraft knife have crafty tendencies. If you were going to do two then I think the nessmuk would be a good follow up.

Allen

At that price, I'd certainly be in depending on the model chosen. I'm not in for a bushcraft, but I'd be interested in a Bushmaster or a big nessmuk, something good for the woods.

Overall it's a really neat idea though. :thumbup:

Edited: From this list above, the Nessmuk is what I'd be interested in, preferably wood but micarta would be kosher with micarta. 1/8" would be cool.

Back