What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
I'd be happy with any of the choices, but especially a Pikal and another Bushcraft.
Sheath options (Even in kit form) would be important for me, as over here it's tough to get those kind of materials.

I'd be all over a Bushcraft or a Karda. I DO NOT want a block of canvas micarta to have to shape. That stuff is nigh-invulnerable without powertools and I don't want to be breathing anything that toxic.

I love knives but there's reasons I'm not a knife maker. Give me something I can finish with elbow grease, sandpaper, and some gorilla glue! :D

For those that voted canvas micarta....I should point out that it is SUPER HARD to work (compared to wood...or even G10).

That's why I'm thinking wood would be easiest (and possibly cheapest).

Cutting a block in half and flattening it and making both sides equal/even will take quite a bit of my time...so, I'm going to leave that to you guys. :D :p

I'll put together a "possible kit" on Monday and take some pics...so you guys can have a better feel for what would be involved/included.

All ideas/suggestions welcome!

:thumbup:

Dan

Wood would be the way to go in my opinion, keep the costs down for a kit knife.

our wood

convex edge, not fully sharpened

standard pin holes (3/8") for brass or alum rod

Lanyard hole we can put tube in or not

Rotate, a different style per x time period

My vote would be for a kitchen knife in 3v or ats34 with composite handle like micarta or
g10
Marc

I vote for kitchen and bushcraft knives! I have tons of micarta at home so if i were to get one it would be without scales.
any steel is nice, but a 3v bushcraft and an s30v kitchen would tickle my fancy :)

I'd like a 3V BushMaster kit, canvas micarta scales, or that beautiful straight grained Ironwood I've seen on your Nessmuks.

I'm definitely all for this...if I can get a large enough quantity to make the cost low (I'm thinking [U said:
under $50[/U]!!)

Well...whatcha think?

Dan

I just seen the 50 dollar part, Im all for that, great christmas presents, Dan I would be in for at least 4 of these.

...How about the Pikal Parer?..Dan

Hmmmm,......
Nessmuk, Pikal Parer, Bushcraft, in that order.

I can see the Bushcraft is more popular but I have two on order so I would probably vote for Bushcraft first if I did not.

As for working MIcarta with hand tools, files work very well. A decent double cut, half-round will do the bulk shaping and not be so aggressive that a single stroke too many will ruin it. Going to a finer doiuble or single cut half-round with light strokes cleans things up nicely and, yes, it's slow because the Micarta IS hard but, for those of us who do not do this every day and don't have the confidence to touch a fine knife to a belt sander, that hardness sets the pace that should keep us out of trouble - giving one time to shape, observe, feel, shape, observe, feel,.... Micarta also does not present the difficulty of "reading grain," which is more important when using hand tools than when using a power sander. Two slabs would be better than one block becuase halving and flattening is better done with power tools but rough-shaped blanks will take the "kit" a little beyond "kit" status.

Maybe we should consider what hand tools are required as we offer sugestions/ideas about the kit. A coping saw could be used to cut the rough shape. A couple decent files, a small vise, duct tape for the blade, abrasive paper (broken sanding belts are the berries here),...

Where's Hollowdweller? He could definitely help with this part of the conversation. I know he has done a few handles but I don't know what tools he uses.

Yes, the dust stinks and you'll be blowing GCM boogers for a while if you don't use a suitable dust mask but working some of the woods we are attracted to for knife handles also produces dust that's not good to have in you or on you.

I'd be thrilled to be able to get a Koster blade blank only....Bushcraft is my first choice, followed closely by the Nessie.....but I would be in for the kit as well.:thumbup:

I voted for the nessie.

I'd do a blade only. I like to do my own handles and pin configurations.

A convex grind would be my choice. :thumbup:

I could be a model slightly different than the "regular", like a Nessie with a 4.5" blade ;)

I do like the idea of making a special run of a one-off design....

How about a 3" bladed bushcraft?

Legal in every state...

Dan

Back