What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
OOOH... I like the mini Nessie and Mini Pikal if possible. Only caveat is that I'm not a fan of scandi grinds. I would prefer a skelly version with no handle material included.

both will be offered with scandi grind....quicker/easier/cheaper

:thumbup:

This is a DONE DEAL now guys....eyes peeled on the forum!

;)

Dan

Bad A$$!!!! I just got my first Koster (Nessie).

I'd love to take a crack at all 3 options!

Keep me in the loop.

Great idea. I'd go for a bushcraft style blade without any accessories (pins, wood,..).

Yes...I'm thinking about offering several "options"...such as:

Option 1 = skeletonized knife (cheapest/hardest)

Option 2 = skeletonzied knife + wood block + lanyards (med price/med difficulty)

Option 3 = profiled handles of micarta + corby pins (most expensive/easiest)

That way...those that can do it all on their own....don't have to pay for the extras....while those who might not be crazy about starting from scratch can still get in on the kit aspect of it.

Make sense?

Sound reasonable?

Dan

Best custom knifemaker EVER.

I only have a handful of custom knives, but to my knowledge, nobody gives the customer as many options as you. A kit is an awesome way to make the knives cheaper and allow for some customization.:thumbup:

Dan,
You said that a 3" Nessmuk would have a regular handle,.... would a 3" Bushcraft have a regular handle? Either way would be great but I was curious if there was a reason you mentioned the Nessmuk specifically - like that type knife was best with a certain sized handle...

both will be offered with scandi grind....quicker/easier/cheaper

This is a DONE DEAL now guys....eyes peeled on the forum!

;)

Dan

Will you have a post where you can get on the list? What do you think will be the average wait? I got my first Koster this week. It's one of those knives that you don't want to put down once you pick it up. Great work!

Fantastic idea. I'd love a Scandi grind. And I bet making a few pseudo-handles won't be all that hard. Count me in.

I'll probably start a sign-up list next week perhaps...?

I'll take some time this weekend to redo the designs down to a 3" blade. :thumbup:

I'll make sure to post to the Mailing List when the list gets started. Sign-up using the link in my sig-line.

Dan

Maybe there can be a friendly contest and Dan can decide who is the most creative and or practical with a finished knife.

Hey Dan, save yourself some time and give us the option to buy some extra scales up front.... I'll muck at least one set up, guaranteed. :mad:

I'll probably start a sign-up list next week perhaps...?

I'll take some time this weekend to redo the designs down to a 3" blade. :thumbup:

I'll make sure to post to the Mailing List when the list gets started. Sign-up using the link in my sig-line.

Dan

Yes...that will be an option...either as a block...or as pre-drilled, pre-cut handle slabs.

I just need to figure out how much time/energy/cost I'll have wrapped up in it..so I don't go in the red doing it. :D

Dan

Damn Dan, where the hell do you find the time to sleep?

What wood were you considering for the scales? Cocobolo would be nice.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to think it all through...how to offer the most options...yet not make my brain EXPLODE trying to keep track of it all. :D

Ok, guys.....came up with one....hard a pretty hard time getting the ball rolling....man....went through quite a few crappy designs first (thank goodness I got those out of the way! :foot: )....

Tell me what you think...here it is....3 inch bushcraft design:

bushcraft3inchkit.jpg

7.5" overall
3" blade
4.5" handle

If done right....this is a perfect 3" EDC no matter how anybody measures it. 3 inches of usable edge....3 inches from the tip to the front of the handle.

The handle would be secured with two pins (above is shown with a corby pin and a lanyard tube) - both drilled in the tang at 1/4".

Here's a preliminary look at how it would work.

Option 1: Blade blank only (heat-treat, bevels ground, 1/8" thick steel)

Option 2: Blade blank, 3/4"-1" thick block of hardwood, 2 brass lanyard tubes

Option 3: Blade blank, 2 canvas micarta handle scales 1/4" thick profiled and pre-drilled for pins, 1 corby pin, 1 lanyard tube

For Option 1 = you could leave it skeletonized....or wrap it with paracord/silk cord.

Option 2 = requires a good amount of time/effort/experience/tools

Option 3 = pretty much just have to put the pins in it, glue it up, go around the edges and do any contouring you might want on the handle.

Option 1 = easiest/cheapest

Option 2 = hardest/moderate price

Option 3 = low difficulty/higher price

Make sense?

Now just need to work on the Nessmuk blade. :D

Dan

And yes...I would include instructions. :thumbup:

I would also be willing to do a tutorial for each of the 3 options above (wrapped handle, wood block handle, micarta scales handle)

You just provide the glue and elbow grease. :D

If you can't tell....I'm pretty stoked about this....

Should we get this started next week?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dan

Here we go now.....all drawn out....easy to understand. (gotta love CAD...:D)

Option 1

bushcraft3inchkit1.gif

Option 2

bushcraft3inchkit2.gif

Option 3

bushcraft3inchkit3.gif

Back