What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
Man, you are excited about this one! Me too though!

Any thoughts on what the dimensions of the handle will be, compared to the original bushcraft dimensions? Same handle 'heights', etc?

on a roll apparently....

I've always wanted to try out a more "traditional" pattern for a nessmuk - hope you guys like it too. :thumbup:

Here's the nessmuk design:

nessmuk3inchkit.gif

Specs:
7.5" overall
4" handle
3.5" blade (3" was too anemic looking...:barf: ) scandi grind, 3/32" thick 1095 steel

Option 1 = blade blank only

nessmuk3inchkit1.gif

Option 2 = blade blank, wood handle block, 2 lanyard tubes (1/4" and 3/8")

nessmuk3inchkit2.gif

Option 3 = blade blank, 2 micarta handle slabs 1/4" thick profiled pre-drilled, 1 corby pin, 1 lanyard tube 3/8"

nessmuk3inchkit3.gif

Let's get some comments/feedback asap. :thumbup:

Dan

Here's the original bushcraft drawing above this new 3" version:

bushcraft3inchkitcomp.gif

Dan with My limited skills I would probably start out with option three. I have always wondered how you smooth out the brass pin area too match the handle. Do you grind it and then polish it or what. Clueless here.:confused::confused:

Here's my thinking on this design:

I wanted to keep the same pointy/stabby spear point...just scaled down to 3"

Also wanted to keep the same handle length. I was having fits trying to make the handle work....just didn't look/feel right. So, I went back to one of the "in progress" drawings I made when we first set out to design this knife...and came up with this one.

A BIG reason why I like this handle design = SIMPLE for ME, SIMPLE for YOU. Gets the job done. Enough hand room even for the big guys.

And yes, I did enlarge the guard. :thumbup:

Dan

all 3 options will be available on both knives....:thumbup:

chickenplucker - with time and experience. ;) If you don't have a belt sander to use....I'd use a mill bastard file and file it down so it is smooth with the handle. Then hand sand starting with 120 grit paper. It'll all be covered in the Tutorials I'm planning on doing!

Dan

And here's a comparison of the Nessmuk I make....above the new Kit Nessie:

nessmuk3inchkitcomp.gif

Whoa Dan, those are smokin'. I haven't had any coffee yet, so no constructive criticism, first impressions are fantastic. Yes, let's do it next week, I'm in for one of each! Gonna give us any steel choices on the Bushcraft?

Oh, one thing, should it be a 'Koster Knife Kit', or a 'Koster Kit Knife'? :)

Looking great Dan....I'm an option 1 guy all the way...do you have any tutorial on how in install Corby screws?? I haven't used them yet...just pins.
Thanks for all your hard work on this....any prices set yet on the 3 options?

Also. is there a reason you've enlatged the guard on the Bushcraft? I prefer the smaller one like on the knife you now make.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Those all look great Dan! :cool:

And I love your solution to the "maker mark" problem. :D

Also. is there a reason you've enlatged the guard on the Bushcraft? I prefer the smaller one like on the knife you now make.
Just my 2 cents.

I won't presume to answer for Dan, but- If you're already filing/grinding on your kit anyway- wouldn't it be easier to remove some guard material you don't want, than to add a guard you do want? ;)

Dan, this is incredible. I love how excited you are about this project, and I think you've chosen two very useful and desirable designs. I'm definitely in for both of these.

The only thing I would suggest is to increase the width of the nessmuk design at the forward hump. You could either make it taller or make it pointier at the zenith. I think the blade would then look more balanced with the flare at the end of the handle. However, I admittedly know nothing about aesthetics and don't feel I have any place telling you how to design your knives. I just think it would look better that way. On the other hand, I like that your design doesn't look just like everybody else's "traditional" nessmuk. I'll still buy one and be happy if you don't change a thing:D

I'm really looking forward to these. My paypal account is warmed up and ready when you are.

The 3'' bushcraft looks like it will be a pretty handy knife I like to overall looks of it and I think the enlarged guard is a plus. I think on the nessmuk that I prefer the wider blade style of your standard nessmuk, but I'm all for variety. I'm guessing that you noticed the initials of Koster Knife Kit?

I applaud you for the many options that you offer your customers, as well as the level of input you allow them to have.

Allen

Back