What would you guys think about a D-I-Y Koster Knife Kit?

Which would be best for a knife kit?

• Bushcraft (1/8" thick O1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nessmuk (3/32" thick 1095)

• Kitchen knife

• Karda (any of them)

• other blade material

• -G10 for handles

• -Canvas Micarta

• -Cocobolo

• -Osage Orange

• other handle material

• Total voters
I'm down with the 3" bushcraft! :) Unfishied blade, some nice wood for the handle, some hollow tubes, a set of cryptic instructions printed on a piece of tissue paper- all sealed in a clear plastic baggy like the world's best cereal prize... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

The one-off idea would make the kits unique and easily distinguishable from your regular line.

I like the idea of a 3" bushcraft, but I'm partial to small blades. We've got the Bushmaster, so this could be the smaller version.... Since we're knocking an inch off, can we go A2 or 3V on the steel for $50??? :D

How about the Monster Nessie? I've seen you post that these things are a beast to make...

Still and all I'd take 1 cause I really love the design yet I don't get enough allowance to get a completed one.

I like the idea of a 3" bushcraft,......

OOOOOH! I like that too! Not to mob Dan with ideas but, even if it were not for the kit, I like blades in the 3" to 3 1/2" range woth an O.A.L of 7" to 7 1/4". I just got a 3 3/8" x 1" x 1/8" blade that has quickly supplanted my 4" to 4 1/2" blades for what gets grabbed when I go out the door. I have two others being made with 3 3/8" and 3 1/2" blades. Very handy, very useful. Not everyone's cup-o-tea though. But, I sure get excited about them!:D

I just read "back" and see I missed that the 3: was Dan's idea to begin with. Cool! No worries about "mobbing" him with ideas.
I am a big fan of the smaller baldes myself but I also prefer a smaller handle with them - not "miniature" but not full-sized.

Dan, what are you thinking regarding the handle on the 3" Bushcraft - same as original or a little shorter?

Whoever mentioned "3" Nessmuk" - another great idea. I just got a ML 2 9/16" Nessmuk and it's a gem. Another 5/16" could make one even more versatile.

Last edited:
A bushcraft would be cool, but a kitchen knife would be awesome. Everybody who touched the Mater on the passaround now wants one for Christmas, and they expect me to buy it!

I love the 3" Bushcraft idea.

I voted for Bushcraft in Osage. I already have a Micarta Bushcraft:)

Ok...I'm thinking a 3" bushcraft and 3" nessmuk would be very doable.

3" blade...4.5" handle....7.5" overall

Dan

Yes...I'm thinking about offering several "options"...such as:

Option 1 = skeletonized knife (cheapest/hardest)

Option 2 = skeletonzied knife + wood block + lanyards (med price/med difficulty)

Option 3 = profiled handles of micarta + corby pins (most expensive/easiest)

That way...those that can do it all on their own....don't have to pay for the extras....while those who might not be crazy about starting from scratch can still get in on the kit aspect of it.

Make sense?

Sound reasonable?

Dan

the 3" nessmuk wouldn't be a mini....would still have a fullsize handle. :thumbup:

It all sounds good to me..........:thumbup:
Count me in on whatever you decide it is to be....... whatever that turns out to be.:D

Options are very reasonable :D
I like both of the choices (bushcraft and nessmuk) and a 3" blade is just fine...a very useful length!

Any idea about which edge profile you will use, or will that depend on the knife? I imagine the bushcraft will be scandi grind...thoughts on the nessmuk?

Back