What would you like to see from CS in 2017?

A lot of new smaller (~3-3.5 in blade), thinner, lighter knives, since they just announced discontinuation of pretty much their only blades that have one or more of those characteristics.

A lot of new smaller (~3-3.5 in blade), thinner, lighter knives, since they just announced discontinuation of pretty much their only blades that have one or more of those characteristics.

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. The world is awash in small knives. Cold Steel is the Mecca for XL folder lovers...even though they failed to bring out any new XL folders for 2016. I'm sincerely hoping they'll rectify this situation in 2017.

I agree with this. I think CS should produce more practical knife that more people can EDC, somewhere in the 3-4 inches length. Not everyone is comfortable with XL sized knives.

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. The world is awash in small knives. Cold Steel is the Mecca for XL folder lovers...even though they failed to bring out any new XL folders for 2016. I'm sincerely hoping they'll rectify this situation in 2017.

And I disagree with your disagreement. The majority of people do not like stupid large mall ninja pocket swords. They are fun toys, but that's about it. Super large folders are not practical to carry or use, especially not for an edc where smaller blades offer much finer cutting abilities and detailed cutting. Instead of this stupid amount of liner and frame locks that don't seem as tough to me as other locks, having a triad lock smaller folder fits the bill for Mr perfectly.

For practical EDC they still have the American Lawman, Recon 1, Broken Skull, Counter Point 2 and Swift. I hope they have some new ones planned for 2017.
Mega folders are a part of Cold Steel's DNA. The fact that the market for XL folders is smaller than the market for EDC folders isn't really the issue. It's a niche market that Cold Steel has dominated. I would be very surprised if they did not continue to innovate in this area.

For practical EDC they still have the American Lawman, Recon 1, Broken Skull, Counter Point 2 and Swift. I hope they have some new ones planned for 2017.
Mega folders are a part of Cold Steel's DNA. The fact that the market for XL folders is smaller than the market for EDC folders isn't really the issue. It's a niche market that Cold Steel has dominated. I would be very surprised if they did not continue to innovate in this area.

Exactly. I don't really look to Cold Steel for EDCs, I have a million Spydercos and Kershaw/ZT for that, few CRKTs that fit that bill as well. If I was willing to pay mid tech prices, you could add a lot more options to the list. I go to Cold Steel for the stuff I *can't* get too many other places. Stuff like mega folders, big bowies and daggers, push knives...if I absolutely HAVE to have a Cold Steel "EDC" folder, stuff like the Code 4, Lawman, Tuff Lite, and Hold Out 3 all fit the bill just fine.

Outside of bringing back the Arc Angel, how about the triple action folder with some stainless handles that could hold up to the constant flipping?

Felt like chiming in again, hoping CS see this thread and take some things on board. I mainly want to see satin and stonewash blade finishes on some of their best models. Recon 1 range with stonewash or satin, same with ak-47 and the lawman. Only other thing i guess to freshen things up a little would be some slight handle changes? even tho what they currently have is perfect, i guess just for the sake of it being different/new. I'm happy for no handle changes, just PLEASE STOP making some of the best models only have black DLC.

Exactly. I don't really look to Cold Steel for EDCs, I have a million Spydercos and Kershaw/ZT for that, few CRKTs that fit that bill as well. If I was willing to pay mid tech prices, you could add a lot more options to the list. I go to Cold Steel for the stuff I *can't* get too many other places. Stuff like mega folders, big bowies and daggers, push knives...if I absolutely HAVE to have a Cold Steel "EDC" folder, stuff like the Code 4, Lawman, Tuff Lite, and Hold Out 3 all fit the bill just fine.

That's fine for you. I prefer Cold Steel to be the knife in my pocket on all occasions, not just for the stuff I can't get elsewhere. Since I work in an office setting, that means I want a Cold Steel folder with a 3" blade for that environment (mini Code 4 is my current dream knife; I want it both shorter and slimmer by just a touch). When I'm working in the yard on the weekends, I want a Cold Steel with a 4-5" blade for that work. Just because I like the things they offer that others don't doesn't mean I only want them to fill that niche. I want them to do it all. The mini Recon 1 and the Hold Out III are going away. The Tuff Lites just aren't my cup of tea. If there aren't any new products in the smaller category for 2017, it means my only option for replacing my smaller carry blades will be the secondhand market or another brand.

That's fine for you. I prefer Cold Steel to be the knife in my pocket on all occasions, not just for the stuff I can't get elsewhere. Since I work in an office setting, that means I want a Cold Steel folder with a 3" blade for that environment (mini Code 4 is my current dream knife; I want it both shorter and slimmer by just a touch). When I'm working in the yard on the weekends, I want a Cold Steel with a 4-5" blade for that work. Just because I like the things they offer that others don't doesn't mean I only want them to fill that niche. I want them to do it all. The mini Recon 1 and the Hold Out III are going away. The Tuff Lites just aren't my cup of tea. If there aren't any new products in the smaller category for 2017, it means my only option for replacing my smaller carry blades will be the secondhand market or another brand.

This.

OOC, is there some reason why it HAS to be a CS in your pocket at all times? I like Cold Steel machetes, I've used them for yard work. But I don't have some aversion to using a Condor, or Tram, or whatever either. It's not like CS is slipping me a $20 every time I use one of their products or something.

OOC, is there some reason why it HAS to be a CS in your pocket at all times? I like Cold Steel machetes, I've used them for yard work. But I don't have some aversion to using a Condor, or Tram, or whatever either. It's not like CS is slipping me a $20 every time I use one of their products or something.

It's just personal preference. My first real, quality blade was a Cold Steel Voyager, back in 1996 when I was 16. I've owned and used knives from most major manufacturers over the years. Cold Steel has been one of the few companies (Spyderco and Ontario also) whose products have never, ever failed me or let me down. And it's not a Cold Steel in my pocket at all times necessarily. Today, I'm carrying an Ontario Rat II at the office to give my mini Recon 1 a day off. But, I like being able to have a Cold Steel for any carry situation.

Even more OOC, is your username a reference to the John Grisham character from The Rainmaker?

mini code 4's (like mini recons) and DLC option for code 4. Also an ultra/tri-ad lock amalgamation. Strength of a tri-ad with the ease of the ultra/axis!!

Have they made a fixed blade in full tang ? If not I want a master hunter in full tang San mai of course

Sprint run of Talwar with 3V steel, Tuff Lite with 3V or XHP - and different colours.
That's what I'd like.

...well, I do dream about the Recon-1 with Ultra Lock - those sexy lines, that sleek handle, that Bowie-style blade and the thumb disk....and the Gunsite...*sighs*

In for a production AD10 and/or a G10, tip-up, XL Tuff Lite in XHP.

Also, I hope they redesign their pocket clips. I'd love to see more satin finishes, too... love me some grind lines.

Back