What you killing deer with this year?

Had the Marlin out today. I could only get out to 50 yds today, where I shoot. Brush is really high.

3 shot group is 50 yds using my shooting sticks (not the rest in the picture with the rifle). I was a bit too high, I want it around 2" high. I've got to find 200yds somewhere to check my POI. This is a new scope, with the old one, 2" high at 50 put me nearly dead on at 200. Hornady 160 gr Leverevolution.

The other is a 4 shot rapid fire, offhand, at 50 yds. I need to practice more! Ugh! :eek:

I also had my little CZ82 in 9x18 Makarov. These two targets show the difference in cheap Russion HP ammo and Hornady 95gr XTP ammo. Rapid fire, as fast as I could pull the trigger. Quality ammo is worth every penny.

8192011 001.jpg8192011 016.jpg8192011 015.jpg8192011 002.jpg8192011 004.jpg

EXCELLENT knife hunting post.

We needs more details, "I gots to know!"

Last edited:
Ill be using this thing...if I get it done. If not then my trusty 700BDL .30-06

2011-05-17110730.jpg

2011-05-17110825.jpg

1917 Eddystone barrel stamped 10-18. .30-06, 168gr SPP hand loads do just fine, sub MOA out to ~175 (barely, but it counts!).

-Xander

My Dad had a Springfield 3o/06 with a stock similar to that back in the 70s. I loved that gun. He thought he was a wheeler dealer and somebody traded him out of it. Nice gun. I wish I had it.

want!!!!!1!!!

Ill be taking the Remington 788, chambered for 6mm Remington with 100grain soft point boat tails.

Glad you like it! Been a long road getting it to whre it is now. It is an interesting old dog. Sporterized sometime in the 50's with some trick little things. Pillar bedded the original stock, monte carlo comb added from forarm/hand guard wood to match, custom adjustable trigger travel take up added (and it works very well so I am leaving it) and the milling on the rear is dead nuts flat and true. It had a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan on a griffon and howe removable side mount when I bought it, removed it and sold it for more than I paid for the gun with the scope. That money paid for the custom wood its sitting in now unfinished, AA grade quilted maple with rosewood tip and cap monte carlo rollover with custom LOP and decelerator pad fitted. I am still working on the inletting as I have time, gonna do stainless steel bedding compound, and a bit of trigger work as well. You can see I have already finished the bolt rebuild and jeweled it, the extractor and follower. Converted to cock on close (I believe, I don't remember at the moment but its been converted from one to the other!), to make it more like my others.

I also have a 788 in 6mm! Actually I am down to I think 4 788's now. 6mm is the only one I spent the money on to redo the headspace. The guns arnt really "worth it" in my opinion. Great guns though! I also have a mini 788 copy, the 580 series of .22's. Same bolt design and the trigger is interchangeable between the two.

-Xander

Same setup for deer and Elk that I've been using the past 5 years. Mathews Switchback

I'll probably just take the model 88 winchester second rifle down its chambered in 308. I just love this rifle its very light and quite accurate. I'm taking the scope in the pic off of it and putting a leupold 1.5 x 5 on it. It'll be a little more compact that way and a wider field of veiw on 1.5 power. The 88 was made in 1960 i believe.
Well good hunting folks. :thumbup:

Doug

DadsPictures110.jpg

My brothers truck. Thats what I hit my last deer with driving to a deer drive. Oh well, killed her just as dead as buck shot.

Bowtech Alligence w/Slick Tricks
Remington 11-87 w/iron sights & Rem. Foster slugs
Thompson Center New Englander 54 cal. w/Lyman peep sights & w/patched round balls

All 3 tried & true!

That whole fiasco was some time ago. I was 20 when it happened. I'm 35 now. It's still a pretty vivid memory, because I just couldn't believe he did it. What I remember is that he was a total idiot. Really. He was off juuust a bit.

I didn't hunt with him much, because every time someone shot a deer, he insisted on cutting its throat with that big cheap bowie. My cousin's dad killed a really nice 8 point one time. He'd already decided to mount it. The deer was down, it was dead. They were admiring it, next thing you know, BOOB (not saying his real name) was on top of it cutting its throat so it would "bleed out and not ruin the meat!" He damn near cut its head off. The mount has a "beautiful" white line across its throat.

He did other stupid stuff too. One time, he saw a bolt on his tree stand and wondered what it did. So it took it out to see. While he was in the stand, in a tree. And he was shocked when he hit the ground.

Anyway, I'd been making crack about trying to spear a deer from a tree stand. You know, it's right under you, throw a spear straight down into it. He said that he'd like to kill one with a knife. I told him that I didn't think that he would ever get that close to one. Of course, he had to prove me wrong. We were probably 30 yds apart. I'd seen the deer walking up the hill towards the stand, but I wasn't going to shoot towards it.

So I watch BOOB pick up his rifle and aim at the deer. He waits until it's almost under his stand, then puts his rifle down.

I'm thinking "What the heck, why isn't he shooting?"

Then I see him take the knife out and thought "Why is he doing that?"

Then he unclips the rope (before the tree stand harness was popular) and I'm thinking " HOLY SH%T, please God, tell me he's not..."

Sure enough, he steps off the stand and drops right onto the deer! (just like the beast in the movie Predator, for lack of a better way to describe it).

He landed flat on top of it, and I still don't know how he didn't break the deers' back. I don't know how he didn't break his arms or legs either.

He missed the stab on the way down too, somehow. He's on the ground with the deer, half laying on it, trying to hold on to it. It's beating the snot of him in the meantime.

He managed to stab it in the ribs and then the deer really went crazy. He finally got on top of it and stabbed it through the back and in the ribs again. I'm not sure how many times he actually did it. Then he just held on until it stopped struggling. Then he cut its throat, of course.

He cut himself on the hand and on the arm in the process, but they weren't bad.

He looked like someone had dumped a 5 gallon bucket of blood on him.

I was totally speechless. I really couldn't believe what I'd just seen. I walked down and just looked at him. He says "told you I'd get one with a knife."

I just said " You are NOT right." Thank goodness I had a pickup, because there was no way he was sitting inside my vehicle.

I never hunted with him again after that. Years later, he was getting treated for mental issues, and all I could think was that he should have started treatment years ago.

Reminds me of one of my friends. He didnt get therapy...he got married. He is feeling much better now.

Hoyt Maxxis, with the slick trick 125 mags. I pretty much just bow hunt. If it gets late on me and I have not meet my freezer quota then I pull out the 45/70 or the .308. But my favorite gun is my mossberg 110 slug gun. With federal (barnes expanders) in it it is nasty. No deer walks away from that one.

i bet those girls could write a book...

I dont get to hunt deer often...but when i do, I prefer a remington 1187 12ga rifle sights with fosters slugs.

Back