What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I think it's sweeeet! But I'm no expert. Maybe not the most useful. But completely cool! Got to do a project like that every now and then!

Daniel.

I wouldn't say it looks bad, but if it was my knife I'd finish the hollow grind. I think it's down to personal preference more than anything

The devil's in the details. Working on dialing in the plunge lines and straightening up the front of the ricasso.

Took me a long minute to check all the photos out here and now I am starting over to read it all. I have already received quite a bit of good info from this one thread so thanks for all the info posted here. I am Only a "hobbyist" blade maker but really love the craft. Nothing like creating something with your bare hands and giving a piece of your blood sweat and tears to someone that they love to use and will pass them down for generations. Please excuse the mess of my "shop" as it is still in the final stages of getting it settled to how I like it. I keep moving stations to make it "flow" easier for me due to the room I to work with. Either way here are a few pics of what is going on in my world. A good friend of mine just recently gave a nice rigid wood lathe that I haven't got to play with due to some major surgery but I am almost healed and then its on LOL. I still need to put my band saw and a few other tools together but heres a glance. Let me know what yall think.

Finished this up. I know, the finger guard thing doesn't make sense and I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't requested.

xujkUpo.jpg

Iz6U7bJ.jpg
yup - that was me. Thanks man, cant wait till it gets here

4.5" drop point I've got in progress as well. Blade is 3/16 A2, hollow grind stops 160 thou from the spine and was taken to an 8 thou edge. Bronze dot inlay on the spine, and dovetailed bolsters. The handle is a rather disappointingly bland piece of lacewood. I usually use a thicker bolster on the back to keep the handle even in thickness, but I decided to have it follow the taper this time. Not sure I like it..... Thoughts?

Still needs the final polish on everything, and some proper pictures taken

I have never enjoyed light colored woods as scales. I used a lot of walnut years ago on straight knives and it always seemed to be more popular.

I have never enjoyed light colored woods as scales. I used a lot of walnut years ago on straight knives and it always seemed to be more popular.
You know, I'm really inclined to agree.
A few times now I've seen some interesting looking wood, and bought a board of it. I'll usually make one or two knives, not really like it, and go back to ebony or rosewood.
I don't know what it is, but even a wildly figured piece of bocote just doesn't look as good as a plain piece of Rosewood to me....
Maybe I'll have to make a desk or something from the various planks....

yup - that was me. Thanks man, cant wait till it gets here

I was going to put a note in with it and forgot, that horn may want to move a little over time or with changing humidity between my location and yours, the guys recommend wiping some mineral oil on it to keep it from drying out once a year or so. If it does shrink away from the tang just let me know and I'll true everything back up for you.

jsut finished this one up and working on a KMG arm with a 5 inch wheel top and 2 inch bottom. got the Al mounting plate mostly done still have to cut it free of the extra plate but i wanted to get all the holes drilled and tapped with one mounting to the mill. going to trun a bushing to use at the pivot point of the plate to help cut the arc slot (i ll try to take pictures of this setup )DSC09846sm.jpg

Lots of hand sanding going on in my shop right now (trying to do justice by this dagger that was forged by Theo Nazz).
5406C0D3-2589-4861-A736-0EAF98EE4A79_zpsscectg0d.jpg

Back