What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Ek8cl01.jpg

Finished up this Hunter. Convex RWL-34. Micarta with G10 liners.

e8CLmdh.jpeg
SNVwjQE.jpeg

Super clean as always. What's going on with that relief in the kydex (that little square shape)? Is that something you just used as a placeholder so you could get that little retention spot down just below it... or is it just to add clearance for the handle?

Super clean as always. What's going on with that relief in the kydex (that little square shape)? Is that something you just used as a placeholder so you could get that little retention spot down just below it... or is it just to add clearance for the handle?

Thank you!

The top relief is roughly the width of the knife's total thickness. It is to make insertion of the knife smooth. Without the relief the front of the scales would catch on the kydex edges, a common but avoidable problem.
Below it is another relief that is a bit wider than the blade's thickness to prevent catching and scratching.
And yes, the difference in width of the two reliefs is where I get the retention/locking the knife in.

Thank you!

The top relief is roughly the width of the knife's total thickness. It is to make insertion of the knife smooth. Without the relief the front of the scales would catch on the kydex edges, a common but avoidable problem.
Below it is another relief that is a bit wider than the blade's thickness to prevent catching and scratching.
And yes, the difference in width of the two reliefs is where I get the retention/locking the knife in.

As per usual, clever stuff :)

Made a new tempering oven, bigger than my previous one, preserved the controls, so now I have a 90min timer and optional blower, also lined it on the outside, so If I want to make a pizza I can LOL. I got it for free because it had the glass broken, replaced it with a piece of steel. After the video I replaced the handle with a wooden one because it was getting too hot.

Pablo

Just finished this set up. Need to put on the edge, then they’re ready to slice and dice.
Steel is 14C28N, HT by Paul Bos @ ~62 Rc.
Handles are Richlite Maple Valley, epoxied and pinned w/ brass. Finish is Scotch Brite, then green compound on non-abrasive belt.
Chef - 7” : .130” thickness : 2” wide at heel
Carving/Utility- 7” : .10” thickness: 1.25” wide
Parer - 3.5” : .10” thickness : .75” wide
IMG_1031.jpeg
IMG_1033.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpegIMG_1035.jpegIMG_1034.jpeg

I finally completed an order going out to a retail store in the UK! This was my largest single batch to date (20!), I'm super excited to get these all sent out... along with the other orders I've had to make in the meantime! 😅
20240414_120847.jpg
20240414_123233.jpg
20240414_113926.jpg

Back