Whats your favorit "light and simple" EDC SAK?

That would be the only knife guaranteed to be with me at all times: Vic Midnight Manager.

plus 1 for the cadet. its so light you forget its there( ive lost three of them because i didnt notice they were there, so i didnt notice when they werent in my pocket) =(

My Vic Tinker gets carried and used the most.My Vic Classic is always on my keychain.

I can't believe we're on page three and no mention of the Ambassador which has been my EDC for way more than 20 years. Just enough bigger than the Classic to make the scissors more useful (IMO).

Lost my Midnight Manager, so now an Vic Alox Classic SD on the keyring. Perfect for that - I drive an old car with a simple key (no remote) so the keyring collection is now light and compact.

Will probably get another MM sometime though,,,,

I can't believe we're on page three and no mention of the Ambassador which has been my EDC for way more than 20 years. Just enough bigger than the Classic to make the scissors more useful (IMO).

It's definitely worth a mention, though it's the longer blade that really gives it an edge (pardon the pun:eek:) over the Classic IMO.

i'm with you buddy!... i've got plenty of ambassador in the victorinox collections, with multicolors and monochrome patten and pictures... i really like it... its a capable 74mm sak... its an executive with no nonsense...
yes, it lack of some openers and prying feature, but i mod the tip of the nailfile tobe a glasses scredriver and its pretty charming for me...
ambassador is a great light SAK IMHO...

Your basic alox cadet in the pocket with a classic "sd" on the keys gets my vote!
Peace
Revvie

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Coupled with my black Classic and I'm settled for about anything:D

For many years I had been well served by a four-blader Scout pattern knife, then segued into better version, namely a SAK. But that was before I discovered the Leatherman Personal Survival Tool. From immediately I knew that I had to have a pliers on my multitool pocket knife. Since then, experience confirmed my first impression. I still own and enjoy the use of several SAKs; OH Trekker, Swisschamp, Tinker, and Rambler, but those are for special circumstances or to supplement my pliers based tools.

I have often thought about this business of being perfectly happy with something until something new comes along. I would have been okay with a Tinker as my one and only, maybe supplemented with a Classic. Had I never came across the PST, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me that serious pliers could be stuffed into a multitool. Likewise, as a chronic letter writer, that it would be possible to instantly communicate with a gazillion people by the mere touch of a button, like :) (touch)

Large tinker.

I feel like a jackass when I need to open a beer bottle or tighten a screw and all I have in my pocket is a benchmade or some such with a 3" blade and nothing else.

I feel like a jackass when I need to open a beer bottle or tighten a screw and all I have in my pocket is a benchmade or some such with a 3" blade and nothing else.

Its the MAIN reason i pocket a SAK! well put buddy!

I also agree that its better carry SAK with tools that we need most, than bring the most Tools thats not essential.... lighter and comfortable carry are very important to me...

the tools that we carry in the pocket is more than helpfull, than needing tools and we dont carry any...

For a dedicated EDC that is larger than the 58mm SKAs, I really like the Tourist model.

The Tourist is the unique 74mm size. It is like a shrunken Spartan.

I wish they made more knives in this size -especially with alox handle covers.

It's the Vagabond

If I want to go light I carry an alox Cadet. Nice little knife with a good tool selection and very similar to the Soldier or Pioneer I usually carry.

Doh! Thanks, man talk about a brain fart. However, I will maintain that the actual name is Manager and the Vagabond is the model with the flat-head multitool.

Doh! Thanks, man talk about a brain fart. However, I will maintain that the actual name is Manager and the Vagabond is the model with the flat-head multitool.

You might be right mate. I'm just going by the description given in the URL for the picture you posted by smartknives.com (right click on the pic then copy url then paste the result in to notepad or browser and you get this:

http//www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Knife-Images/Victorinox-Vagabond-Lg.jpg. (Link disabled so it will print)

Last edited:
Carried one every day for the past 40+ years. Give them to my friends and family when I find out, much to my disgust:), that they don't EDC!

Back