What's your favorite Multi-tool

I buy my knives for the application that best suits what I want it for. Is it the same with multi-tools? Do most of them "do the job" and I need to find the one that deploys the individual tools in an easy to use fashion? Maybe I buy the most popular and cast my fate to the wind? Are they "portable tool boxes" and he with the most tools wins?

What are your top 2 or 3 favorite multi-tools? Can you explain why your #1 is #1?

Thanks...

moving-van.jpg

All major brands are good, really. A decision based on price, availability, "popularity," and the product's "appeal" will probably do for you as well as anything.

Most of the forum back and forth on this topic, with all due respect to those who post, is trivial. It is a hobbyist conversation. The vast majority of multi-tool users don't care about the subject and are satisfied with whatever they have. The cheap offshore brands, however, should be avoided as unreliable.

My advise is to buy the one that appeals to you most. Chances are excellent for happiness. :)

No.1:
The Leatherman Blast
The perfect selection of tools, and it's rather light-weight.

No.2:
The Victorinox Hiker.
Not too big nor too bulky but still very handy.
Two standard screwdrivers, a phillips screwdriver, a bottle opener, a can opener, a large blade, a small blade, a reamer/awl, a toothpick, tweezers, and a woodsaw...and all in a rather small and compact package that weights just a few onces.
I'm almost ready to declare it the perfect EDC swiss army knife.

Most of the forum back and forth on this topic, with all due respect to those who post, is trivial. It is a hobbyist conversation. The vast majority of multi-tool users don't care about the subject and are satisfied with whatever they have.
I do not believe discussions about multi-tools are any more "trivial" than other discussions on the forum. Atleast not to those who have and use multi-tools.
There are many types and variations of multi-tools, each with their own sets of advantages and disadvantages, and most will serve the casual user without any problems.
I am satisfied with my Leatherman Wave, but I did a great deal of research before I decided on it. I like that the blades are accessible without having to open it, and I like the rounded corners, so that when used as pliers there is less pain in the hands (unlike the original Leatherman). It has very good fit and finish, has held up well to years of use, (little abuse). The serrated blade
has maintained its sharpness longer that I would have expected.
I bought one of my sons a Leatherman XTi for him to take to Iraq, my other son, has the new Wave model.
I would like to try some SOG and Gerber brand multi-tools, but have been so satisfied with my Wave, that I've chosen to spend my cash on other items instead.
Happy shopping.

Most of the forum back and forth on this topic, with all due respect to those who post, is trivial. It is a hobbyist conversation. The vast majority of multi-tool users don't care about the subject and are satisfied with whatever they have. The cheap offshore brands, however, should be avoided as unreliable.

What better place to have a hobbyist conversation than a hobbyist forum devoted to multitools?

That is always the first question you need to decide. I will assume you are looking at plier based tools because that is what most people mean when they say mult-tool.

Next question: Will you carry it in your pocket or in a sheath of some type? This helps you to decide what size and weight tool is acceptable to you. What fits in my pocket might drag your pants down. It is an individual decision.

Next: Which tool combination do you want/need? Again this will point you towards some tools and away from others. There are other factors to consider as well but I feel we've covered the main ones.

Finally, you asked for some specific preferences. Here are mine:
Knife-Based - Vic Rucksack. I'm a knife guy so my EDC tool is a knife. It is a Vic, it locks, and has the right combo of tools for me.
Pliers-Based - Gerber 400 Compact Sport. The Gerbers are not overly popular here but mine has held up well. This may be because it is not an EDC for me. I use it on duty with EMS and if I think I may need pliers with me. I like the way the plier head deploys, all tools lock, and it has smooth outer grip panels so my hand doesn't get pinched. Good Luck with whatever you decide. As was said above, if you stay with major brands you are unlikely to go too far wrong.

i own 3 multi tools; gerber , swiss army ,schrade and to me and my little experience is i love the schrade (usa) now discontinued but it works great for my needs and it does not pinch your hand or fingers unlike other brands+ the leather holster beat the nylon sheath and way more durable. i plan on purchasing the LM wave but right now funds and other knives are my biggest obstacle to getting a LM kinda pricey LOL :D

I do not believe discussions about multi-tools are any more "trivial" than other discussions on the forum. Atleast not to those who have and use multi-tools.

Well, "trivial" in the sense that on these forums we are dealing mostly in nuance. Almost any multitool, in a given size, can perform about equally to any other. Everything else is nibbling at the edges.

Obviously, I find multi-tool discussions and "debates" interesting enough to participate, but I keep perspective on their importance. Sure, I learn things that have applications to my interest in multi-tools. But for everyone like me, there are probably tens of thousands who use them in their day to day and care nothing about the subject, no more than their garden rakes or ball point pens.

To anyone offended by the word, "trivial," my regrets. I didn't mean disrespect to a community of which I regard myself a member.

What better place to have a hobbyist conversation than a hobbyist forum devoted to multitools?

Well, I'm here. aren't I? :)

Originally posted by allenC
The Victorinox Hiker.
Not too big nor too bulky but still very handy.
Two standard screwdrivers, a phillips screwdriver, a bottle opener, a can opener, a large blade, a small blade, a reamer/awl, a toothpick, tweezers, and a woodsaw...and all in a rather small and compact package that weights just a few onces.
I'm almost ready to declare it the perfect EDC swiss army knife.

I like the fieldmaster for the added scissors,but there is somthing about the hiker,it just handles and carries great.:thumbup: :thumbup:

I've owned Sog Multitools (paratool and pocket powerpliers), LM Wave (2004), Swisstool, Lm Blast and LM XE6 Juice, and a bunch of saks, and the one I carry day in and day out is my LM Wave. It's my work horse. Built like a tank, handy, and ergonomic. Easy access to outer blades is a plus. It's the tool that does it for me. I've gotten rid of the others. The Wave rules.

Thanks everyone... it looks like the LM Wave came out on top with the Vic Hiker in 2nd place. All your comments about functionally is actual use were very helpful. I didn't think about how pliers would fit/cut into my hand, etc.

For some reason I had put LM down the list before asking for your input. I know they made the market and were 1st and all, but I had "heard" that they slipped behind others. I guess I "heard" wrong... thanks again!

Before you start to buy the "perfect" multi-tool, you might want to find some stores that carry a decent selection of them so that you can handle and fondle various models a bit before you order one. That said, if you can think of actual uses you have in mind for your multi-tool, that will help you decide on which features and implements you might like to look for. As mentioned numerous times already, stick with a name brand and you should be O.K. Most of the opinions you'll get on this topic generate from personal needs and uses rather than just strictly overall quality. As an example, while choosing a multi-tool for work I looked primarily for wire/cable cutting ability, crimpers, strong pliers, a saw, and decent screwdrivers (longer reach). Those were the functions I used at work on a daily basis. Now to choose a multi-tool for carrying on my days off regardless of what I'm doing changes the criteria a bit. And to be honest, my work multi-tool and my personal carry multi-tool are indeed completely different. Both are good multi-tools and both are "best" for their intended purpose.

Thanks everyone... it looks like the LM Wave came out on top with the Vic Hiker in 2nd place. All your comments about functionally is actual use were very helpful. I didn't think about how pliers would fit/cut into my hand, etc.

For some reason I had put LM down the list before asking for your input. I know they made the market and were 1st and all, but I had "heard" that they slipped behind others. I guess I "heard" wrong... thanks again!

There actually ARE tools that come out on top when compared to LM in terms of quality, toughness (The Sogs), or fit and finish (The swisstools). Not that LM are bad, but there are others that come out ahead in certain aspects. However, as others have said, You go by what works for you, and the Wave works for me. Plus, there is a sentimental attachment to my Wave. My wife gave it to me when we were dating. It was one of her first gifts to me, and it means the world. I remember thinking "Woaw, what a cool chick!!". However, functionally speaking, many multis can get the job done, so try out a few different ones and then make your decision. Also as someone has already said, you really can;t go wrong with ANY of the brand names.

#1 Leather Charge TTi I like the tools, perfect for an outdoor multi tool. I take it with me to the range, the fishing hole, and as truck tool. I only hate the price over 100.00 and the saw is not as effective as Victorinox.

#2 Not far behind Victorinox Spirit it my everyday work tool. As a HVAC tech I used most tool on the handy tool. I only wish it had a plain edge instead of the serr. edge.

#3 Victorinox Locksmith I keep it in my tackle box and use it when I fish around town. I like the lock blade over the Leather's. Yes I do carry both when fishing. You can never carry too many multi tools.

I prefer SOG multitools. I don't use anything on my multitools often other than the pliers. My SAK Farmer gets alot more use. I thought about trying a charge ti but havent yet.

I've used leatherman tools for years, my favorite is the core. It has all the tools i need and none of the ones i don't need. Also have a swiss tool, it is my second favorite.

Back