What's Your SHARP Knife?

Sharp Knife: Zero Ground Ernie Emerson CQC-7 (not toally zero ground anymore, found an amazingly fine hone, its a reddish colour, my father called it a ruby hone, said it was for straight razors, and I used it to touch up the edge. its super fine, put a scary edge back right quick)

Dullest: Ontario Slec-Plus Marine Raider that I use for everything from breaking metal packing bands, to digging.:rolleyes:

Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe. I got a little crazy with it, and now my forearms are bald.

Sharpest?

Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V. Scary sharp.

Also, Calypso Jr. Lightweight in VG-10.

Sharpest? Easy, that would be my Spyderco Calypso (Large) in VG-10! :eek: :eek: :D :eek: :eek:

Dullest? Probably my Spyderco Native, because that's the one I first started "learning" on :rolleyes: It has a serviceable edge now, but not as sharp as it could be...I'm still "learning" :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Matthew

Sharpest: A Cold Steel Voyager clip point. I worked it over with progressivly finer hones and it's awesome. It will do the "non-contact" arm hair shave and even the free hanging tissue slice.

Dullest: CRKT Carson F4. It must be that crappy Zytel sheath, because everytime I get it decently sharp and then sheath and unsheath it, its dull as a butter knife. Must be magic.

Sharpest: PJ Tomes paring knife- jigged bone handle, flat ground to an absolutely irresponsibly sharp edge. Easy to bring back to perfection. The "ex" was afraid to use it (and that's probably why the edge survived).
Dullest: Probably a POS bali that lives at the bottom of the knife trunk. The bevels cannot be improved without excessive toil & it's just not worth it.

Hmm, right now the sharpest would be my new Spyderco Lum Chinese. It came scary sharp right outta the box -- cool.

The next one would be a Henckels Santuko. I reprofiled the edge this past weekend with the new Spyderco diamond rods and dressed it up to the point where the veggies in the fridge tremble when they hear it coming out of the knife block :D.

Dullest would be the Henckels steak knives. The kids haven't quite got the hang of using a sharp knife on a plate yet. Jack, the 7 year old, goes at a piece of meat like Conan hacking through an invading hoard :eek:.

Chad

My sharpest knife would be a PJ Tomes model #1 with forged 52100 and flat ground blade. Just touch a hair with it, and it comes right off. I have never owned a knife this sharp. If it gets any better than 52100 forged by a master smith, please clue me in on it. I am considering 420V for my next custom since it is more corrosion resistant than 52100, but I am sold on 52100 at the moment. Big D1

sharpest outf box benchmade outbounder I got cut just touching the blade.I can get a wicked edge on oldtimer sharpfinger and old hickory knives.gailt

My Microtech LCC came very sharp. Since I rarely use it, it still has that razor edge. My CRKT F4 neck knife is the sharpest, I used my Sharpmaker to get it real sharp.

The sharpest is probably my Spyderco Tim Wegner, and the dullest has got to be my Western Bowie that I have had for about 18 years.

I would have to say my Classic Sebenza, followed by any of my Spyderco's. I have never had a Spydie that did not come out of the box scary sharp.

Well my sharpest folder is a delica that I customized. I ground the blade (ATS55) down to a full flat grind then sharpened it at almost no edge bevel. I pretty much refuse to loan it to anyone because I'm afraid they'll hurt themselves.
I've got a few swiss made and diobsud forge carving knives that are probably sharper but not much.

Dullest, well it would either be the plain blade on my gerber multi lock pliars ( only because I consider it a wire stripper, scraper blade more than knife) or theres that old craftsmen stock knife that I learned to sharpen on. It was my first knife and I got to where I could actually get it sharp. But I haven't carried it in years, and plan on keeping it around just like it is.

I have one that just absolutely scares the hell out of me !

A JSP Arch Angel 2.

But, I also have a few that definitely raise the hair (or capable of removing it) on the back of my neck. . .

A tie between my DDR EDC and a Microtech Amphibian.

Then there is my Mayo TNT.

Of course. . .can't forget my CRK large Classic (presently being fitted with a set of G2 carry skins. . .).

They all are pretty sharp, but if I had to pick, my sharpest (and most used) is a Bob Lum medium Chinese (flat ground ats34) and fixed blade would be a Hartsfield Kwaiken (chisel ground 1/8 stock a2)

Sharpest Out of the Box: Kershaw Starkey Ridge TiATS34 (still is the sharpest). MT LCC close second.

Dullest: Emerson LaGriffe

Hey there Big D1,
Can PJ Tomes put an edge on a knife or what? I've handled a Scagel Bowie he did, & for a blade that size, he really nailed it.

Back