Which Khukuri is Loaded for Bear?

:
Forgot I was on a real computer and I can't use my back button.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 05-03-2001).]

Hey Jim...

I bet that the forward curving from Durba would work... I have just not thought about that one as a weapon yet. To tell the truth I have had a hard time bringing myself to take that on e out and use it. It is just so durned purty. Maybe I need to do that in the near furture. Get myself over that.

I think that the claymores is a good idea... maybe a law rocket to go with that might help.
biggrin.gif

-Matt

Yes my pick would be the Mega Salyan if the bear is cooperative. Perhaps I can find a volunteer to amuse the bear while I strike.

Seriously, pepper spray has been used successfully to drive away a bear that was mauling a person.

Will

Well if I happened to be on a diet of really hot peppers and a bear came after me I wouldn't need any pepper spray.
biggrin.gif

However I no doubt would need a long hot shower with plenty of soap.
biggrin.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Yvsa-G@WebTV.net

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

:
Sorry!!
Hit the back button again!!
That's gonna be a hard habit to break I'm afraid!
frown.gif

It's too bad that my webbie unit had to be the one to cause trouble.
But on the other hand this old computer on AOL connected at 14,400 bps is almost as fast as what the webtv unit is.
I will be changeing units after a shopping trip when we get home.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 05-03-2001).]

Will, in the style of training I've had the "volunteer" is a stout walking stick or staff.

------------------
"To Know and to Act are One"

Yvsa,

This weekend you are gonna be BEAR PROOF son.

------------------
"To Know and to Act are One"

:
Finn now you're scaring me.
smile.gif

You're liable to see me sweating on my right side and I don't usually do that unless the food is very hot.
Some of the "Egg Roll Express" hot dishes makes me do that and the 1st time it happened it sorta freaked me out.
Having the right sympathetic nerve cut makes the body do strange things.
biggrin.gif

I love the hot stuff but it now don't love me as much as it used to, but as long as the flavor is there I eat it anyway.
Black pepper is used to plug leaks in automotive radiators.
smile.gif

But if it Bear Proofs me then I should be Cat Proof as well. Bring it on and I will just break out the compazine and zantac.
smile.gif

------------------
Yvsa.

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

A confrontation with a grizzly ... !!!
I don't know how good am I to to protect myself against it with my 20" Sirupati ... !
I guess the grizzly might have a very big lough on me ... and ... if only that grizzly can talk ... of course it will advice me to say good by to the world ... !

biggrin.gif
!!!

Is it true that a bear won't proceed it's attact if we act cinvincingly dead in front of it? Being a Cherokee Yvsa might know more about it.

------------------
wa-(A)llaahu-aa'lam!

Mohd,
if you manage to look convincingly dead, the bear could still poke at you to check if you are decently fresh and good to eat (I don't know anything about bears but if I were one I would do it).
I'm glad you guys appreciated my "wild boars vs. potatoes" story. When it happened (about 25 years ago), the wildlife rangers and the local police station didn't find it very amusing.
Fausto

Ciao Bill,
Cruising is quite boring and, judging from the part of your life that you share with us all, I don't think you would really find it enjoyable. We are dealing with a lot of pretentious and never happy characters over here! Still, in its way, it is an easy way to visit some interesting places and the food is good! If you are really interested, send me an e mail and we can work something out.
Ciao
Fausto

Hello Fausto:

I always thought cuising was probably the most boring thing one could do. A new hour is just like the old one, water ahead and water behind. But the food looked good and if you could find some job for me to do it might not be so bad. But many thanks for offer. I'll ask Yangdu but I don't think she is really ready for a cruise.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (33,000 + posts)
Himalayan Imports Shopping Site

Bells, harmonicas, kazoos, and pepper spray--I'd go with any of them. Or all. Turn myself into a one-man band with a repulsive smell.

The one time I've been to Alaska I became steeped in the lore of scary bear attacks. That's what people who live there do to amuse themselves during the summer months of perpetual daylight; scare the pants off themselves recounting tales of the latest maulings. The summer I was there, everybody was talking about the two fishermen who float-planed into a remote lake. If I remember correctly, as one of them reached shore a big bear rushed out of the brush and literally tore his arm off. He made it back to the plane, his buddy took off, but he died en route.

Anyway, what my reading and stories from local friends up there convinced me was that the serious attacks tend to come at very close quarters: the hikers on a narrow trail in thick berry brush who surprise a feeding bear, etc. It's not like a jousting match where you get to unsheath your khuk, paw the ground, and charge at each other.

As I recall, the big debate up there was whether or not to go into the backcountry with a firearm, period. One school of thought held that you shouldn't because there's often not time to get a decent shot off in these encounters, and if you nonfatally wound the big critter you may have unwittingly turned one of those bluffing encounters into something more deadly. My local friends weren't of that philosophy, though. We carried a shotgun loaded for bear. One person would portage the canoe over slippery, muddy terrain, another had only the shotgun in his hands. Never saw a bear on that trip, but we did see some fresh scat that got everybody's attention.

Anyway, if I ever get back up that way I'll have an 18-inch villager with me. It can be pretty wet up there in the summer, and those villagers are gluttons for punishment.

Back when I was 16 and bulletproof/bearproof/invincible, my friend and I went hunting at his dad's camp up in Northern Maine. Every morning we would come out of the camp and walk down to the apple trees that were on the camp's yard (about 100ft from camp), and there would be HUGE piles of bear crap on the ground. They had eaten so many apples that the droppings looked just like you put apples in a blender and roughly blended for a few seconds. They didn't even smell! How do I know this? Well, the first morning we woke up to go hunting, I walked down the road past the apple trees and slipped in a giant pile of the stuff and landed in it! Man, that stuff is slippery. LOL!

Anyway, we never gave it a second thought when we were out hunting during the day.

Now the late night trips to the outhouse....Well, that's a whole diffent situation! Sitting on the icecold seat with my .357mag next to me listening for any "bear sounds" (whatever the heck that would be!). Great fun though--I think the bears added to the excitement of those hunting trips and helped make them some of my favorite memories
smile.gif

Bill,
When I was a boy we lived in Alaska(Fort
Richardson), family went camping & fishing in the mountains(was REALLY wild then).We heard branches snapping & a ROAR(didn't sound like what you hear in a zoo)!We jumped in the jeep an hauled ***!Hunters went to ck. it out, said we were lucky,was an Alaskan Brown Bear! I can STILL hear that ROAR!That is as close as I EVER want to be!!
jim

Back