Which to buy first: 10 or 8?

I'm torn between which of these amazing blades to get first.

GSO 10: Guy's version of a one tool option, probably closer to being produced sooner, the biggest GSO I could find a real use for

GSO 8: created just for us forum members, buying one would help justify Guy adding another knife to his already near complete line up

Also, as much as I will need ("need") another 4.1 in my life, I'm really glad I kept my $199 to put towards one of these big boys!

#first world problems
#the struggle is real
#GSO addiction

What do you mean you can't replace your 10? Do you mean with a new model 10?

With all the money I'll save by no longer ordering sheaths, I'll definitely get a knife-vest AND a knife-trench coat. You're not really a SURVIVOR! if you don't have both pieces of apparel :p

What do you mean you can't replace your 10? Do you mean with a new model 10?

With all the money I'll save by no longer ordering sheaths, I'll definitely get a knife-vest AND a knife-trench coat. You're not really a SURVIVOR! if you don't have both pieces of apparel :p

I love the one I have already so I don't really feel the need to replace it plus it cut the crap out of my hand so now I have a weird bond with it.

Well I would say the gso 8 but I may be biased lol
I also want both
Both is most definitely the answer. I am thinking though that I could get the 10 sooner, so probably get that beast ordered then the 8 as soon as I'm able.

I love the one I have already so I don't really feel the need to replace it plus it cut the crap out of my hand so now I have a weird bond with it.
Makes total sense, I figured that's what you meant.

I hear ya, Texas!

I'll tell you what you told me...BOTH!! :thumbup: in all seriousness, if could use it i'd get the 10 since it would be such a jump up, and then back fill with the 8. I want to buy a 6, which means id have 3.5/4.1/5/6 which almost makes no logical sense! I'm just not sure I could use a bigger knife just yet.

I guess Danny "Likes" his vest/jacket combo LOL, Look at the bottom of the pic...

jf4kINk.png

I hope the pre order will be open long enough for me to get the cash :)
Nailed it. This really is the issue. I'm trying to play the game of: what will go into production first and not be available to order sooner, and what will still be there when I have more saved up.

I'll tell you what you told me...BOTH!! :thumbup: in all seriousness, if could use it i'd get the 10 since it would be such a jump up, and then back fill with the 8. I want to buy a 6, which means id have 3.5/4.1/5/6 which almost makes no logical sense! I'm just not sure I could use a bigger knife just yet.
You came to the same conclusion that I did. 10 first, then the 8 for the same reasons. Man, logic left me quite awhile ago. That would be an interesting thread "which GSO's do you truly NEED". I know for sure that my need is way more conservative than all my "needs".

I guess Danny "Likes" his vest/jacket combo LOL, Look at the bottom of the pic...

jf4kINk.png
That is badass!

Silver... i have to admit I have convinced myself I "need" an original 4.1 in every steel type I can find, and I would really like to believe I "need" a spare 4.1 in 3v with a ferro notch...still working on getting that one.

Silver... i have to admit I have convinced myself I "need" an original 4.1 in every steel type I can find, and I would really like to believe I "need" a spare 4.1 in 3v with a ferro notch...still working on getting that one.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the 7/7 and the 10. The 10 is a great knife, and I personally have no need for the 8 due to having the 7/7. Both the 8 and 10 are big, too big to edc. I would opt for the 10 because it is more of what you need a big knife for. For me the sweet spot is the 5.0 or 5.1, small enough to comfortably edc, big enough to thump the hell out of making firewood, building shelters etc. If the knife is not on my person when I need it, it matters very little how capable it is.

Here's what I'm getting.....2.7, 4.7 and 8. IMO I think these sizes are the logical choice due to the blade lengths

GSO 10 is only 2 inches more than GSO 8. the 8 is more than enough for chopping, batoning etc. just think of the Swamprat Ratweiler, Chopweiler and Busse Ash. it's the biggest knife one can carry comfortably.

For fantasy one knife tool just incase I get lost in the woods or zombie apocalypse or what not, I would definitely pick the 8 over any S!K

IMO if I'm going to beat up a 10+ long blade, I would go for the Junglas. I don't have to worry about my knife chipping and rusting unlike a $300+ will.

Now, if Guy somehow creates a finish comparable to Medfords Vulcan finish, then I can justify abusing it no matter what the price is. That peened finish looks so good that it just becomes a safe queen.

Last edited:
GSO 10 is only 2 inches more than GSO 8. the 8 is more than enough for chopping, batoning etc. just think of the Swamprat Ratweiler, Chopweiler and Busse Ash. it's the biggest knife one can carry comfortably.

Are you referring to carrying the GSO 8 on your belt, or attaching it to your pack??

Back