who can make this sheath for me (Izula)?

OK. I want a sheath of kydex that's as compact as possible for pocket carry or on the belt. As far as retention is concerned, I thought of a unique system. The kydex would be contoured to the Izula, but not for retention purposes...just for a fit. By on the belt, I want the sheath such that I can draw the knife by pulling to my right or left (not up or down like a conventional sheath).

Instead, I want a system that uses a neodymium magnet that holds the knife and prevent it from falling out of the sheath. One magnet would be on a clasp connected to the sheath, while the other one is on the opposite side of the sheath, right above the finger choil thingambob. The system would look like the KSF Bravo Necker/Izula sheath...but be a lot less bulky and use magnets.

EDITTED since I was being brainless, and it was pointed out that there needs to be only a single magnet.
EDIT 2: I forgot a very important feature...it should have velcro so that I can remove the sheath without removing my belt every time.

Who can make this and who do I pay?

EDIT 3: Latest "concept" revision for sheath: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7950031&postcount=23

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand why you would need two magnets. It seems like one would be sufficient and no other retention would be necessary. You could also have the side opposite the magnet partially exposed, essentially covering just the cutting edge. Similar concept as the larger exposed spine knife sheaths only different.

The part I'm not sure of yet would be the best way to attach the magnets.

Hmm. I wasn't thinking...yea, just one magnet would be enough. For some reason I lapsed and thought for a bit that magnets only attract to magnets. Har har har. Yea, just one. Silly me. I rather have a full covering sheath, just personal preference. As far as attaching the magnet, what about a hybrid sheath? The sheath itself would be of kydex. The magnet and clasp could be leather, with a thin strip of leather covering the magnet.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of something similar to the clasp you're referring to? I guess it could be done a number of diff. ways but I'm envisioning a sheath with no clasp, just a magnet built in for retention. I've got some magnets on my fridge that are so strong I can barely get them off. I'd feel pretty safe with one of them holding a knife.

On second thought, I think I understand what you're saying. The clasp doesn't retain the knife, just positions the magnet. When you undo the magnet/clasp, the knife can come and go freely. Then just reposition the clasp for retention when done. Is that correct?

I don't mean to Bogart in here, just wanted to show you one I did using a magnet. Inside a discarded hard drive there's a magnet that usually about 3/4" x 1", about 1/16" thick and it is STRONG!! That is all the retention you see here with this Fiddlback Runt. It is sandwiched in tween two layers of leather, glued in place. This blade can never fall out, and it takes about as much pull force as a sheath having good retention built into the welt.

IMG_0042-1.jpg

On second thought, I think I understand what you're saying. The clasp doesn't retain the knife, just positions the magnet. When you undo the magnet/clasp, the knife can come and go freely. Then just reposition the clasp for retention when done. Is that correct?

Correct. The clasp is only there for two things. 1) So I don't lose the magnet. :D 2) So I can pop the clasp open with one hand and pull the knife out in the same motion.

EDIT: Nice leather sheath...but I prefer kydex. HD magnets are way too strong unless you somehow, cut it into a smaller piece. At least with neodymium, you can get different sizes.

Let me see what kind of magnets I can find at work Monday. I don't want to make any promises but I am somewhat interested in the concept.

Let me see what kind of magnets I can find at work Monday. I don't want to make any promises but I am somewhat interested in the concept.

Excellent. If this works out well, I may just have to pick up another for a Swamp Warden (if I decide to order one of those from SR).

Here's my concept. I spent a lot of time on it using MS paint since I didn't have Photoshop and other image software installed. I forgot to make a note that on the back, there should be some kind of hook and loop fastener (actually I prefer something else, but I don't know what it's called...it's like a piece of plastic with some button on it...seems more robust than hook and loop (which loses those darn loops over time...plus stuff always ends up getting caught up in them like dirt and hair). Maybe someone knows what type of fastener I'm talking about. A fastener is important so I can remove the sheath without taking my belt off every time. EDIT: I'm right handed and would extract the knife by pulling it to my right when attached to my belt, so the sheath needs to have fasteners oriented as such. I don't much care for drawing the knife by pulling in either vertical direction.

Notice that the design is as compact as possible. I'd use this for carrying in my pocket or on my belt.

sheathconcept.jpg

I see, that's totally different than what I had pictured. You're using the clasp for retention and the magnet just holds it in place? I was thinking of using the magnet itself on or in the sheath to retain the knife magnetically.

I see, that's totally different than what I had pictured. You're using the clasp for retention and the magnet just holds it in place? I was thinking of using the magnet itself on or in the sheath to retain the knife magnetically.

Yep yep. This way I can just use my thumb to unlock the clasp (or push it open if need by...dunno how strong a neodymium magnet is). Not sure if my design illustrates it clearly or not, but there is no retention other than the magnetic clasp (in the same way that there is no retention on the KSF leather Bravo Necker/Izula sheaths except for the button clasp). In fact, by the design, if you hold my sheath upside down and push the magnet clasp open, the Izula should fall out without much effort. The kydex just forms around the Izula to give it a snug fit, but doesn't make any retention points (like the stock sheath makes around the Izula choil area with the two nubs).

EDIT: Hoop, do you know what fastener loop thing I was talking about? I've seen pictures of it on this sheath forum I think.

Back