who can make this sheath for me (Izula)?

You'll wanna move the strap to wrap from the other side. It dangling on the edge side, it's gonna get cut and your edge is gonna hit the magnet occasionally and chip (even if it's cloth covered).

Also note that magnets are easier to slide than pull loose so you'll need to design so that it doesn't slide loose easily.

And harkamus, you're probably thinking of a Tek-Lok.

You'll wanna move the strap to wrap from the other side. It dangling on the edge side, it's gonna get cut and your edge is gonna hit the magnet occasionally and chip (even if it's cloth covered).

Also note that magnets are easier to slide than pull loose so you'll need to design so that it doesn't slide loose easily.

And harkamus, you're probably thinking of a Tek-Lok.

Excellent feedback. I'll move the clasp to the other side for version 2.5. (after I edit the design).

sheathconcept3.jpg

There's literally dozens of ways you could effectively use a magnet for retention. I'm going to concentrate on getting a few diff. suitable magnets first and then look at options for using them. I will say though that I don't quite see the advantage over plain kydex. There's a reason why kydex sheaths are so popular. They're simple, light, no moving parts, etc.
Keep up the ideas though it might lead to something good.

I would move the magnet to the strap and where you've got the magnet labeled (the grey dot), I would mold in a circle there and use a steel chicago post as your metal catch. This way you can run the post through the Kydex and use it as a strap attachment point and also have an easy way to change straps later if the original gets damaged. Also gives you an IWB loop point if needed.

The second eyelet will also need to be moved in line with the first if you want to use them as Tek-Lok attachment points and carry horizontal with no cant.

I would move the magnet to the strap and where you've got the magnet labeled (the grey dot), I would mold in a circle there and use a steel chicago post as your metal catch. This way you can run the post through the Kydex and use it as a strap attachment point and also have an easy way to change straps later if the original gets damaged. Also gives you an IWB loop point if needed.

The second eyelet will also need to be moved in line with the first if you want to use them as Tek-Lok attachment points and carry horizontal with no cant.

Please put up pictures when you get that done. :p

Please put up pictures when you get that done. :p

My thinking with molding the circle in is that a) your metal (steel post, if that's how you go) would be out of the way of the blade and b)your magnet would rest inside that circle on the metal surface and couldn't slide, only be popped off.

Say your magnet is the size of a dime. Glue a stack of dimes twice the thickness of your intended indent together and mold them along with the knife. Trim the fore side off as it'll be in the way. Drill a hole in the center for a steel post. Now when the post is in it''ll be recessed and the magnet on the strap will snap into a perfect fitting little area. This would exclude a cloth covering on the magnet, but that could be easily fixed. Maybe by enclosing your magnet in a rod cap, bringing it through the strap and covering the open end. Neat and safer than using cloth coverings.

Just what's popping into my head while reading. Given my head is pounding and wobbling at the moment so my ramblings may not make sense to anyone but me right now.

Sounds great. I think the overall design direction is evident. Kiah made some great suggestions with the dime molding.

Well, I finally picked out a nice magnet to work with. It's a little smaller around than a dime, just a bit thicker, and very strong. Now I just have to find time to play with it.

Back