Who wants a piggyback ride?

Cool, like my dad always said "Gotta fπ[emoji767]k it up too know what you did wrong" "now go fix it right"
Haha! Sounds like something my dad would say also.

Hey those look good Standard! I've been thinking of fiddling around with some kydex. I'm sure my first ones won't look as good as those.
Thanks bud! I'll try to get some better photos to show you all of my mistakes. I'm planning on doing another one for the 10 just to see if I can actually do it halfway decent. The hard part is getting the correct retention on the handle but it's definitely worth a try. I got everything from knifekits if you happen to take the plunge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439339274.954771.jpg
I've posted this before but thought I would reshare. This is my SageWood 5.1 and 3.5 SageWood gear piggy back.

Thanks bud! I'll try to get some better photos to show you all of my mistakes. I'm planning on doing another one for the 10 just to see if I can actually do it halfway decent. The hard part is getting the correct retention on the handle but it's definitely worth a try. I got everything from knifekits if you happen to take the plunge.

I would love that!! Please show the process if it's not too much trouble when you do the 10. I've got a press and dies, a couple sheets of kydex and eyelets. What I don't have is the knowledge to go much further yet, or know what I'm missing.

Hey Nate! I remember that set man. Beautiful!

Standard, quit being so modest, that is some nice work! You should be proud of that first venture!

Have you needed to accumulate a lot of equipment for that work?

I would love that!! Please show the process if it's not too much trouble when you do the 10. I've got a press and dies, a couple sheets of kydex and eyelets. What I don't have is the knowledge to go much further yet, or know what I'm missing.

Hey Nate! I remember that set man. Beautiful!
I'll try to take as many photos as possible next time. I basically cheated and watched a few YouTube videos to get the gist of it! The hard part was figuring out which spots I had to make a template for so there weren't any snags as the blade came out. The top of the 10 has that small thumb indentation and the choil had do be filled in also.

Standard, quit being so modest, that is some nice work! You should be proud of that first venture!

Have you needed to accumulate a lot of equipment for that work?

Thanks bud I'm a little impressed that it came out halfway decent for my first time. It takes minimal supplies to make one but it can get costly. I ended up throwing together a press out of nice 3/4 plywood but I didn't get the clamping angle quite right. I also used a heat gun to get the kydex hot instead of using an oven where I could control the heat which made it a huge pain. I ended up using a small belt sander to round out the edges.

Here are a few of my hiccup spots.
979dd811d7987402286f17727c03ef92.jpg

I should've left more material where the thumb ramp is. Now it's a pain to push off.
82bbd27cb494c00e1a4bc9b7185867b5.jpg

Somehow my press made the kydex bend weird at this end.
b0773fb954744856a2d58f22acf193b4.jpg

I mismeasured the eyelet holes so now the belt loop is crooked. The correct eyelet retention locations at the opening are a pain to find.

Like I said, for a first try that is so cool. At the very least you had a learning experience, but dang looks totally functional to me!

Like I said, for a first try that is so cool. At the very least you had a learning experience, but dang looks totally functional to me!

Thanks bud! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it one of these days! For now I'll leave it to the professional kydex guys.

That's better than most of my attempts, Standard :thumbup:

I made a few kydex sheaths for my wife's kitchen knives and a couple of ScrapMax knives, was never impressed with my abilities especially in comparison to guys like Kiah :p
Like you, I work with a heat-gun and a homemade press (3/4" scrap oak-plywood and a sleeping pad + some clamps), also a HF arbor-press and 1x30 belt-sander. I watched youtube to gain some insights and set to work. A GSO-10 sheath would be beyond my skills for sure.

I did customize Kiah's sheath for my first-run GSO-10, slimming it down and then altering the mouth when I added liners to my handle. I had trouble getting the retention back to where I wanted it, so I simply left a hole bare near the mouth and use a screw & rubber spacer to accomplish the task:

ALlVlwk4y1W-09jjAJvXSuqHoDqyCQIcerKuNE2PVHk=w900-h675-no

-Ri86Dld6Or-8Jm0ASbmuQZLdlzs5iqVkUhd4RtLHOI=w248-h675-no

I've also seen a trick to "add back" a thumb-ramp through an attachment on the spine. I'll see if I can find a pic of it somewhere... if not, I'll build one to demonstrate.

My esse has a sliding lock. I like it. It's not that I'm worried about it falling out. Its a great fit. But that added security makes me feel better. I literally feel as if I'd break the sheath trying to get the knife out if it was locked. But at the same time I can still remove it if I pull hard, so if I did need it and it was locked I can draw it quick.

That's better than most of my attempts, Standard :thumbup:

I made a few kydex sheaths for my wife's kitchen knives and a couple of ScrapMax knives, was never impressed with my abilities especially in comparison to guys like Kiah :p
Like you, I work with a heat-gun and a homemade press (3/4" scrap oak-plywood and a sleeping pad + some clamps), also a HF arbor-press and 1x30 belt-sander. I watched youtube to gain some insights and set to work. A GSO-10 sheath would be beyond my skills for sure.

I did customize Kiah's sheath for my first-run GSO-10, slimming it down and then altering the mouth when I added liners to my handle. I had trouble getting the retention back to where I wanted it, so I simply left a hole bare near the mouth and use a screw & rubber spacer to accomplish the task:

ALlVlwk4y1W-09jjAJvXSuqHoDqyCQIcerKuNE2PVHk=w900-h675-no

-Ri86Dld6Or-8Jm0ASbmuQZLdlzs5iqVkUhd4RtLHOI=w248-h675-no

I've also seen a trick to "add back" a thumb-ramp through an attachment on the spine. I'll see if I can find a pic of it somewhere... if not, I'll build one to demonstrate.

Man I'm really liking the idea of thick liners on the 10 just to beef up the handle a bit more. I'm having the same issue with getting the right retention on it. I used .093 kydex and it doesn't seem to contour well around the handle. I'm thinking of getting some .080 for the next one.

My esse has a sliding lock. I like it. It's not that I'm worried about it falling out. Its a great fit. But that added security makes me feel better. I literally feel as if I'd break the sheath trying to get the knife out if it was locked. But at the same time I can still remove it if I pull hard, so if I did need it and it was locked I can draw it quick.

That slide lock is such a good idea. My first Junglas would slide right out unless I had the slide right in the center.

Back