Why is tool steel not used for chef's knives?

Pro chefs maintain knives differently than home cooks. Maintenance is built into the pro's work day. When he is done cooking, he cleans his tools, it is part of his job. When home chefs are done cooking, they eat the food while it is hot, and let the knives sit, sometimes overnight.

I've cycled through a few sets of very good quality stainless kitchen knives over the last few decades, and the vast majority of users would be absolutely thrilled with their performance. Unless you are building rocket ships or industrial cutters, the differences between mid line modern steels and the highest priced modern steels are barely distinguishable outside of a lab.

The home chef is well served with modern stainless.
Well put…I’ve been an executive chef for almost 30 years and I concur.

A kitchen knife is an extension of the professional in a professional environment. I’ve used many chef/kitchen knives over the years and I have to say this…..buy and use what does the job, feels good in your hand, is safe, and lastly, make whatever knife you choose a knife for all occasions….even a knife fight, lol.
My personal favorites are a set of OLD Chicago cutlery and my Wustof collection. Thanks.

First knife is very interestung, Never seen a habaki used with wa-handle on a kitchen knife. Certainly catches the eye.

Last edited:
There are many, many carbon/tool non-stainless steel kitchen/food prep knives out there. The high end custom/handmade chef knife market probably has more non stainless knives than stainless.

52100, w2/w1, 80crv2 and pattern welded blades are extremely common.
True.

Back