Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsch

Gold Member
Over the years I've been in and out of the BF traditional knives. Is there going to be one for this year?

That is entirely up to Charlie, Barry, and the other gentlemen/saints that make the forum knives possible.

I'm glad to see that we've managed to make it until the end of March anyway :) :thumbup:

If this thread takes off, I hope it doesn't lead to an influx of rowdies, and a large amount of squabbling. I'd rather not see another forum knife than have that here again :thumbup:

I just came in the traditional forum to find out about the 2017 knife. Guess no news as of yet? Shouldn't be any infighting as I'm told it will be a Scout. ; )

I can tell everyone this much: the 2017 BF knife will be a GEC if one is made at all, since they are the only remaining company willing to work with us. So with that in mind, I believe the 2017 BF, if there is one, will be a similar model to whatever they are producing around November. This is about the only feasible method for us to produce a short run (350 at most) of forum models, and even at that, we are still 150 short of a full 'special factory order'.

That is the situation, so a lot of wishing for peanuts or scout knives is just wishful thinking. We will have to coordinate/cooperate somewhat with the manufacturer or we won't get a 2017 BF knife.:(

However, I think it will happen, God willing and the creek don't rise. It is a major project, not without financial risk, and having a very selective clientele, but we have the best possible person at the helm in Charlie Campagna.

Fingers crossed....

Maybe GEC can chime in sometime on what pattern they may be working on in November?:) Then if the ball gets rolling its about the blade pattern and scales...
Thanks in advance gunstockjack and Charlie and whoever else helps in getting this through:thumbup:

I can tell everyone this much: the 2017 BF knife will be a GEC if one is made at all, since they are the only remaining company willing to work with us.

Only U.S. company perhaps Barry, but I think there are plenty of European companies who'd kill for an order the size of last year's. I'd certainly be up for a BF Douk-Douk or one of those other interesting French patterns :thumbup:

I know it's been a hard struggle these past few years, but I can't help missing the days when the forum knife was chosen by the membership here, rather than determined by GEC's production schedule, etc. I have to wonder if the project is still worth all the effort folks like yourself put in :(

I can tell everyone this much: the 2017 BF knife will be a GEC if one is made at all, since they are the only remaining company willing to work with us. So with that in mind, I believe the 2017 BF, if there is one, will be a similar model to whatever they are producing around November. This is about the only feasible method for us to produce a short run (350 at most) of forum models, and even at that, we are still 150 short of a full 'special factory order'.

That is the situation, so a lot of wishing for peanuts or scout knives is just wishful thinking. We will have to coordinate/cooperate somewhat with the manufacturer or we won't get a 2017 BF knife.:(

However, I think it will happen, God willing and the creek don't rise. It is a major project, not without financial risk, and having a very selective clientele, but we have the best possible person at the helm in Charlie Campagna.

Fingers crossed....
I hope it happens as it will likely be the only non-scout pattern slip joint I'll buy this year. I can only imagine the headache it is for the coordinators. It's great GEC is willing to work with those coordinators even with their (reasonable) limitations, else there'd be no possibility of a BF knife.

Last edited:
I think that one of our European companies should give it a go! How about A. Wright and Son???

Couple of observations.

Does GEC even know what it will be producing in November ? They seem to change around their schedules quite a bit, likely due to supply of materials etc. I'd like a 92 Eureka Jack or single blade Talon in all steel-preferably stainless. It's an appreciated rare pattern that could be made alongside a usual run of Tidioutes/Northfields. They could even reverse the frame and make a Stockman out of it so there's lots of potential!

If a European manufacturer is mooted, won't there be import-tax to pay on top of the knives for US customers and more again for European customers when they are shipped back to European addresses? Dealing with returns or QC problems is going to be even more fraught, would anybody like to take that on?

Fingers crossed....

440C please please please. Please.

Please.

If a European manufacturer is mooted, won't there be import-tax to pay on top of the knives for US customers and more again for European customers when they are shipped back to European addresses? Dealing with returns or QC problems is going to be even more fraught, would anybody like to take that on?

I think Jack was volunteering to fill Charlie and Barry's roles with the European manufacturer (design, procurement, distribution and returns).

Fingers crossed....

What about Buck and Case? Or are they not "high end" enough for consideration?
I am less than nothing in the knife world, but Buck was willing to talk to me about an SFO 301 with 5160 blades.
My financing for the project fell through, so I had to drop it before we got into any particulars, though.

I think Charlie tried to engage Case once before, unsuccessfully. I would be on board for a BF Buck 301.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back