Work in Progress/Preview 1/6/17 Through 1/17/17

This is the first preview of the first batch of 2017!

The first
three photos I posted up as a teaser before the holidays, Most of these are 3/32 all CPM154.
a hand full of new profiles in here as well

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Here I am setting up to grind the bevels and taper the tangs

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I split the batch roughly in half after grinding and tapering, heat treating one half of the batch. Here is that half I will be moving forward on.
These have been heat treated and the bevels are at 80 grit. I will take the bevels up two more belts before I glue the handles on.

Hosted on Fotki

Speaking of handles, I laminated a boat load of them today before heading home to beat the winter weather, with it below freezing the next few days I will have to let them sit an extra long time to make sure the glue is dry. For some reason the colder it gets the slower the glue cures.

Hosted on Fotki

These two jade ones will get bolsters later on.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Some wood!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Synthetics- G10/Carbon Fiber/Micarta

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I received these blocks of wood in the mail today, I will be looking forward to getting some of these on knives

Hosted on Fotki

I managed to make it down to Carltons Rare Woods and Veneers in Downtown Atlanta. I was lucky enough to show up right as they where getting this board of Bocote in.
I managed to snag it before anyone else could.I will cut up the Bocote into knife blocks.
Next to that I found this amazing Spalted Tiger Maple X wide piece of lumber on Ebay. The plan is to make a coffee table out if it.

Hosted on Fotki

Thank you for looking!

Questions and comments welcome!

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Last edited:
Good stuff. I can't wait to see the dagger progress. It also looks like a good variety of handles are on the way.

Are these pics from the new phone? They look great! Drive safe if that stuff starts to ice over, it'll get really nutty on the road as you know when the flakes start falling

I can't get those goofy Mentos commercials out of my head now for some reason.

:thumbup:Looking forward to seeing the finished dagger and the poon tip!;)

You have a great variety of stuff in the pipeline, both in models and handle materials. There should be something to please every one in this batch. I think the first large format sales thread will be a big hit.

Thanks Chris for posting all these photos and sharing your insights along the way.

Phil

What are models of the bigger knives in that batch? This batch looks real nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the first preview of the first batch of 2017!

Here I am setting up to grind the bevels and taper the tangs

Hosted on Fotki

Thank you for looking!

Questions and comments welcome!

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool[/SIZE]​

Hey Chris,

Very cool preview and to see all these behind-the-scenes details! These are always great to see and greatly appreciated. If you ever happen to do another pic like the pre-taper prep pic above, it might be cool to see a before/after pic to see how much you removed. I'm always amazed at how thin you take (most of) your tapers and it does wonders for the balance of the knives. It makes me wish Andy would do tapered tangs on the 3/32 Fiddlebacks - not sure I've ever seen one yet. (hint hint if Phillip or Andy read this :) )

Ummm has the S35VN stock ever become available since before the holidays? Just wondering .. not that you don't have enough irons in the fire right now.

Thanks,
Jerry

Looking great chris. I still have no landed my first OKT, but I'm hoping I'll be able to on your first 2017 batch! I'm staying tuned. :)

Looking good Chris. I see some handle combos and models I sure hope meet up in this batch! :)

Good stuff. I can't wait to see the dagger progress. It also looks like a good variety of handles are on the way.

Are these pics from the new phone? They look great! Drive safe if that stuff starts to ice over, it'll get really nutty on the road as you know when the flakes start falling

I can't get those goofy Mentos commercials out of my head now for some reason.

Thanks Danny, unfourtunalty the dagger I pooched during the post heat treat grinding, I suspected this might happen. Oh well there is always next time.
these photos are from the new phone, Iphone 7 I was using the Galaxy note 5 before. I like this phone better. It took sometime getting used to it going from android to Apple.

Did the 1/8" harpoon make it into the current batch? :)

No not this one, but it will one coming up soon

:thumbup:Looking forward to seeing the finished dagger and the poon tip!;)

Thanks Gus, RIP to the dagger!

You have a great variety of stuff in the pipeline, both in models and handle materials. There should be something to please every one in this batch. I think the first large format sales thread will be a big hit.

Thanks Chris for posting all these photos and sharing your insights along the way.

Phil

Thank you Phil, I hope so too. I am trying to provide a lot of variety!

What are models of the bigger knives in that batch? This batch looks real nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure which ones particularly you are referring to, from the left to the right is a (K) Raptor Variant with a poon tip, and next to that is a (K) variant Apache

Hey Chris,

Very cool preview and to see all these behind-the-scenes details! These are always great to see and greatly appreciated. If you ever happen to do another pic like the pre-taper prep pic above, it might be cool to see a before/after pic to see how much you removed. I'm always amazed at how thin you take (most of) your tapers and it does wonders for the balance of the knives. It makes me wish Andy would do tapered tangs on the 3/32 Fiddlebacks - not sure I've ever seen one yet. (hint hint if Phillip or Andy read this :) )

Ummm has the S35VN stock ever become available since before the holidays? Just wondering .. not that you don't have enough irons in the fire right now.

Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, you guy's are welcome. I have some pictures for you! I have not started on the S35vn yet, I am trying to hold out until I get my oven set up later this month after I complete this first batch. I also want to get my Dewar filled up with LN2 as well. I will keep you guys posted about the S35vn, there may be a possibility I try out the 3v first. I have not decided yet.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Looking good Chris [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Gus!

Looking great chris. I still have no landed my first OKT, but I'm hoping I'll be able to on your first 2017 batch! I'm staying tuned. :)

Thank you, I hope you land one soon!

Looking good Chris. I see some handle combos and models I sure hope meet up in this batch! :)

Thank you, I hope the ones that caught your eye made this batch, but I have a sneaking suspicion they did not. If the handles you saw aren't on these they will most likely be on the next batch in a few weeks.

Thank you everyone for your reply and questions, Here is an update of what I completed over the weekend.

The road leading to the shop Saturday morning. I was a little disappointed with the snowfall we got, considering the weatherman called for a couple of inches, what it did to was rain all day Friday right above freezing, then dropped to freezing once the sun set and started to sleet for a few hours, then it decided to snow, So we got the bad road conditions without the fun of a decent amount of snow. It did not get above freezing until this morning.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Here is a picture of what i glued up this weekend I will start shaping them this afternoon. I am more than likely going to finish them all and release these together. It is looking like it will probably be an early next week release.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

[emoji30]RIP dagger, but there's still the poon tip right?[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji30]RIP dagger, but there's still the poon tip right?[emoji57]

There are a couple of poon tips this batch, the won't be sharpened though. I decided to try a little bit of a different approach this time to leave as much thickness towards the handle. this distal taper towards the tip. I like it!

There are a couple of poon tips this batch, the won't be sharpened though. I decided to try a little bit of a different approach this time to leave as much thickness towards the handle. this distal taper towards the tip. I like it!

Sounds good Chris! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.[emoji106]

Holy Schnikeees, look how thin those tapers are!! :eek: That is amazing ...

What is the liner setup on the CF guardless Mamushi? THAT one is my target based on the side shot.

Thanks so much for taking all the time to show photo's of all the knives in progress. =) Have these all been pre sold or will some still be available?

Thanks so much for taking all the time to show photo's of all the knives in progress. =) Have these all been pre sold or will some still be available?

You are welcome, none of these have been claimed or sold, I sell them on a first come first serve basis, via sales thread here on my subforum. I will likely finish these up later this week and post them for sale beginning of next week. Check back in from time to time, I will do my best to give everyone a general Idea of when that should be ready.

Too early for an I'll take it!? :eek:

Looking good! :thumbup:

Back