Work in Progress/Preview 1/6/17 Through 1/17/17

Any ruby burlap coming soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I already asked Chris about that yesterday. His answer was that he'd either do Ruby G10 which could be sandblasted or not -or- he could do Ruby Micarta. But he prefers to not do the Ruby Burlap.

As to the when, I dunno. :D

Hope I'm not talking out of turn here.

Nice to read and re-read this thread... I have always had a fondness for smaller blades, as my second ever custom knife bought back in 82 was just that. I still carry it from time to time. And now, my newly found attraction and appreciation for a larger/heavier blade came from acquiring your work Chris, IE my trifecta of ivory G10's Apache, Hunter, and Razorback. I love these !!! Recently, as the mid sized blades; warthogs, trail hands, have shown up in my collection [honestly I never set out to be a knife collector ever!], I'm really enjoying them as well. All this to say I'm looking forward to this next batch, and the news of kitchen blades!! As Phil stated these are EDU's and since I do a great deal of "daily kitchen" work, AND my son-in-law is a highly respected young chef here, I can see owning more than a couple of those as they come off the bench! Only thing is Chris Tonight is Thursday night and I'm kind of missing the usual, but more importantly really looking forward to the next incarnation of Osprey Knife & Tool!

Douglas

PS If you need a prototype tester for any kitchen knives count me in!

You may be too young to recognize this guy but that is very interesting .. could interpret that as S35VN heading to the Outpost. (since that was the backordered stuff)

VeryInteresting1-vi.jpg

I remember "Laugh In" very well...Especially Goldie Hawn dancing in a polka dot bikini with clever 60's sayings painted on her torso! Not to mention this very funny guy, Arte Johnson!

Last edited:
Kitchen steel would definitely be the place to begin the descent into the rabbit hole of custom, handmade knives IMHO. I have been wanting to put together a set of Andy, Allen and Dylan's knives that I would find appropriate for dedicated kitchen use for some time now. We cook at home daily, usually multiple times. However we were gifted a set of knives by my parents that always evoke a feeling of nostalgia so I have never fully pursued it.

It will be interesting to see what you do come up with though Chris

You may be too young to recognize this guy but that is very interesting .. could interpret that as S35VN heading to the Outpost. (since that was the backordered stuff)

VeryInteresting1-vi.jpg

You're right I do not recognize who that is:D, I know it would make your day, but that's not the case. I have not broken into the S35vn. I plan on giving it a go again soon. I will keep you guy's posted.

Any ruby burlap coming soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I already asked Chris about that yesterday. His answer was that he'd either do Ruby G10 which could be sandblasted or not -or- he could do Ruby Micarta. But he prefers to not do the Ruby Burlap.

As to the when, I dunno. :D

Hope I'm not talking out of turn here.

Thanks for answering that Jerry, and you are correct. Out of the Red materials I prefer the Ruby Red G1O or Red Linen Micarta as oppose to the Ruby Red Burlap. I try keep Ruby Red G10 and I have a little bit of Red Linen Micarta. I do not have enough Ruby Red Burlap to complete a knife, maybe enough for a bolster.

Any ruby burlap coming soon?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What particularly are you looking for? I would want to steer you towards the G10 of Micarta, unless it's the aesthetics of the Burlap you are after.

Nice to read and re-read this thread... I have always had a fondness for smaller blades, as my second ever custom knife bought back in 82 was just that. I still carry it from time to time. And now, my newly found attraction and appreciation for a larger/heavier blade came from acquiring your work Chris, IE my trifecta of ivory G10's Apache, Hunter, and Razorback. I love these !!! Recently, as the mid sized blades; warthogs, trail hands, have shown up in my collection [honestly I never set out to be a knife collector ever!], I'm really enjoying them as well. All this to say I'm looking forward to this next batch, and the news of kitchen blades!! As Phil stated these are EDU's and since I do a great deal of "daily kitchen" work, AND my son-in-law is a highly respected young chef here, I can see owning more than a couple of those as they come off the bench! Only thing is Chris Tonight is Thursday night and I'm kind of missing the usual, but more importantly really looking forward to the next incarnation of Osprey Knife & Tool!

Douglas

PS If you need a prototype tester for any kitchen knives count me in!

Doug, thank you for sharing your sentiment, it's very rewarding to hear you and other people continuing to enjoy and admire their blades after the after the thrill of the chase. And you guys keep coming back for more, I enjoy making knives for you guys. I guess you could say my favorite part is seeing the pictures and hearing you guys talk about these creations I made. I think it's a win win for everyone!

Some of the knives I am making in this batch are variations of existing model I tweaked to be more food prep friendly. I have had a few customers tell me they like using there Raptor and Apache in the Kitchen. So I have made variations of those. They can be distinguished by being guard-less and having a more upturned handle. I will call these (K) Raptor and (K) Apache for. I might rename them in the future.

It will be a gradual evolution, I have a few Ideas floating around to start dipping my toes in.

Kitchen steel would definitely be the place to begin the descent into the rabbit hole of custom, handmade knives IMHO. I have been wanting to put together a set of Andy, Allen and Dylan's knives that I would find appropriate for dedicated kitchen use for some time now. We cook at home daily, usually multiple times. However we were gifted a set of knives by my parents that always evoke a feeling of nostalgia so I have never fully pursued it.

It will be interesting to see what you do come up with though Chris

Danny, I agree Kitchen knives are a nice little niche market. I cook at home too, I have a few hand made knives in the kitchen and find myself not ever touching the store bought kitchen knives. And for a lot of us the knives we use most every day. I am excited to see what I come up with.

What particularly are you looking for? I would want to steer you towards the G10 of Micarta, unless it's the aesthetics of the Burlap you are after.

Is Burlap not strong material for handles? Sorry I am newer to this game. I do like the looks but I want the knife to last.

Thanks

Is Burlap not strong material for handles? Sorry I am newer to this game. I do like the looks but I want the knife to last.

Thanks

Its strong, and is a suitable handle material, I have noticed that burlap micarta in general can swell and shrink slightly over time. I assume this is due to the nature of the fibers embedded in the material. I have never seen this happen with G10, Carbon Fiber, or the finer weave Micartas but in my opinion if you want a knife as impervious to the elements as possible I would go with G1O then Canvas, or Linen micarta with my Sandblasted finish. Carbon Fiber is another option that is an amazing handle material. I have yet to find any Red Fiber Carbon Fiber, I am talking to a distributor that has some color options so I am hoping Red will be a possibility in the future.

Its strong, and is a suitable handle material, I have noticed that burlap micarta in general can swell and shrink slightly over time. I assume this is due to the nature of the fibers embedded in the material. I have never seen this happen with G10, Carbon Fiber, or the finer weave Micartas but in my opinion if you want a knife as impervious to the elements as possible I would go with G1O then Canvas, or Linen micarta with my Sandblasted finish. Carbon Fiber is another option that is an amazing handle material. I have yet to find any Red Fiber Carbon Fiber, I am talking to a distributor that has some color options so I am hoping Red will be a possibility in the future.

Thank you for your reply and that makes senses. I have not had a knife with burlap that long to determine how it holds up. With that said, I am also very fond of Blue and Black G-10 combination. Love it.

Dammit ... I'm just thinking "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs", "dibs" ..... hahaha

Interpretation: What a flippin awesome batch!

13 new hatchlings on Friday the 13th......a coincidence or what ?

Either way, I am looking forward to your next public offering !

Oh Damn these are dangerously beautiful . Phil, Jerry, how about a time share program LOL just kidding

Looks amazing Chris! Thanks for stoking the fire of desire. :thumbup:

Phil

Thank you for your reply and that makes senses. I have not had a knife with burlap that long to determine how it holds up. With that said, I am also very fond of Blue and Black G-10 combination. Love it.

I've got a blade with scales in linen micarta that I had made in 1979. Zero swell or any such problems!

"Some of the knives I am making in this batch are variations of existing model I tweaked to be more food prep friendly. I have had a few customers tell me they like using there Raptor and Apache in the Kitchen. So I have made variations of those. They can be distinguished by being guard-less and having a more upturned handle. I will call these (K) Raptor and (K) Apache for. I might rename them in the future."

Hmmm I'm going to give my Apache a whirl in the kitchen today!!

You all better check the forum frequently, this is quite the batch of knives. I see a few I would double up on if I had the means.

Back