Working on a Friction Folder - With Bolsters

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I have never done a folder with bolsters and it is turning out to be tricky... but looks excellent!

Check out the progress - I'm re-doing the scales as I don't like the exposed butt. This has been a big learning process and I may have to make a few before I nail one. This one is loosely put together in the pic and is seamless when put together all the way.

It's really rough at the moment... thrown together with random hardware for the pic. I just wanted to show what I did yesterday in the shop. :D

Wooooowwwww!

Most excellent, Daniel!

What part about doing bolsters did you find most challenging?

Wooooowwwww!

Most excellent, Daniel!

What part about doing bolsters did you find most challenging?

:D All of it! It was much more difficult than expected. I have the order of operations figured out and that is the trickiest part... along with getting everything perfectly flush on the bolster gap.

I'm going to re-do the scales with carbon fiber when I get new hardware in. The bolsters and frame will be anodized blue with tie dye highlights. :D

Have to agree with Farchyld on this excellent work! Those scales look nice but your not happy until they are perfect, thats why your work is in high demand.

Yeah, they're a little tricky! Good looking knife. You solder the bolsters or glue them on?

-X

nice.. I actually like the exposed "tang"/butt O_O I don't really own dress knives.. not my thing.. the couple I own, are going to be sold sooner than later.

This is nice for sure though.

You are a madman. This is gonna be a DFK grail for some lucky duck :p

Much appreciated! I try to push my boundaries every so often and want to keep stepping it up!

Have to agree with Farchyld on this excellent work! Those scales look nice but your not happy until they are perfect, thats why your work is in high demand.

Much appreciated! I still debate keeping them, once finished the black linen is just about as cool as it gets. :cool: Then again CF will really be nice!

So, about that timascus you were thinkin' of getting... LOL!

That's what got me going on this... I've gotta nail the Ti first then Timascus is next!

Yeah, they're a little tricky! Good looking knife. You solder the bolsters or glue them on?

-X

Yes they are!

Ti to Ti... explosive welding!

If I don't get any explosives I will likely seal them with glue before the final shaping... the scales and frame are also tapped for even more rigidity. I still need to tap through for a clip too.

nice.. I actually like the exposed "tang"/butt O_O I don't really own dress knives.. not my thing.. the couple I own, are going to be sold sooner than later.

This is nice for sure though.

Thanks! I don't make many dress knives but want to make another now and then.

Well, if you're having a hard time finding the explosives, I have a couple pounds I can send you. Seriously. :D You pick up from the PO at your own risk....

-X

Liam I was just thinking of suggesting that myself! Looks great Daniel! Best Jim

Well, if you're having a hard time finding the explosives, I have a couple pounds I can send you. Seriously. :D You pick up from the PO at your own risk....

-X

3TH9

Daniel- Bolsters were never my bag but you do them very well.
rolf

Wow. If that's a first effort, this is going to be great!

Oh, if you're doing bolsters, go thin with the liners, .060 or even .040 should be plenty. The scale and bolster will give it strength. On my slipjoints, the liners flex like crazy until I pin the scales on.

-Xander

Back