Would this not make a great survival rifle?

w

Gold Member
Henry mini bolt. It is very accurate with great sights, good trigger pull, weighs just over 3 pounds, very reliable.
016_zps9d0d58f7.jpg

Last edited:
11½" length of pull single shot .22 LR with a 3# trigger, MSRP of $250? I'm thinking there are some better deals out there.

Henry now makes the AR-7, right? I have the Armalite version. Great survival weapon.

I have a new Henry ar7, 2 ruger 10/22's, one is a takedown, and a marlin stainless 22 bolt action with a 16 inch barrel but this little Henry is so light and small and so simple and I paid 200 dollar new.

Last edited:
Looks like a descent setup to me. MSRP is $249, retail should be a little less. The fact that it has Irons appeals to me, also, one can add length to the stock if they need to increase the LOP.

Savage has a new one called the Rascal.

rascal.jpg

Current prices are under $200 with the bigger gun auction sight listing many for $159.

There isn't much outside a Gamo or Crossman air rifle that one can buy for $159 that is going to be reliable, easy to use, accurate and have readily available ammo. For survival, I'd use one. Just not a yellow one. :p

11½" length of pull single shot .22 LR with a 3# trigger, MSRP of $250? I'm thinking there are some better deals out there.

Yes, way too small for adult use. If you custom fabricate an adult stock for it, that is one hella expensive single shot. (you'd also need to add a sling)

Savage has a new one called the Rascal.

rascal.jpg

Current prices are under $200 with the bigger gun auction sight listing many for $159.

There isn't much outside a Gamo or Crossman air rifle that one can buy for $159 that is going to be reliable, easy to use, accurate and have readily available ammo. For survival, I'd use one. Just not a yellow one. :p

Pink it is! At under $200 MSRP ($174 and made in Canada, by the way), 2# 11 ounces it looks like an interesting rifle. It has the same 11 1/4" pull. No need to disengage the safety to eject a live round. Accutrigger set at 2# 11 ounces. Factory sling mounts.

Yes, way too small for adult use. If you custom fabricate an adult stock for it, that is one hella expensive single shot. (you'd also need to add a sling)

Dunno. With either rifle, a person who could put a handle on a knife could lengthen the buttstock 2 to 2 1/2" with a removable spacer, factory plate added to the end of the spacer. Cost? Not a whole lot.

Both are interesting. I could use a modern single shot .22 for plinking and squirrel hunting in my yard (subsonic rounds of course). American Rifleman tested this second one, the Savage, at 25 yards (75') and averaged 0.87 inches for the 25 shots using CCI’s 40-grain Segmented HP Subsonic .22 Long Rifle. Dat is minute of squirrel head. And with factory open sights. Is is tapped for a scope though for the treerat ninjas among us (and old eyes like mine).
http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/22/gun-test-savage-rascal/#ixzz2H3qZ0bom.

Last edited:
Hello,

Cool little rifle but I like my Savage 24 much better. Its an over under 22 Mag/.410 that can do anything you want with a well placed shot plus its a full size rifle that can be broken down in half for storage in a pack. I cant count how many rabbits Ive shot at 100 yards with it. My dad got me it for my 10th birthday 15 years ago, paid $100 at a pawnshop. Ive seen some in ok shape now and then for around $200-$300. Savage makes a new version called the 42, 22LR/.410 or .22MAG/.410 MSRP is $480

Have a good one,

Chris

Last edited:
Henry mini bolt. It is very accurate with great sights, good trigger pull, weighs just over 3 pounds, very reliable.

Looks like a nifty little rifle. Seems a little on the spendy side compared to other rifles, but a nifty rifle all the same.

That Henry is essentially the same length as a Rossi youth single shot rifle, I gave one to a relatives boy, and his dad and I have both shot it several times, yes it's short for an adult, but we had no trouble hitting with it.

If Savage would make one of those blaze orange ones with a southpaw bolt, I'd be a happy camper! :)

I've got a Henry youth lever .22 that I love. I replaced the front and rear sights and it's now a near perfect little .22.

Looks like a nice gun. I wonder how it would compare to the Remington 514 that I have seen on sale for less than half the cost? If I were going to pay $250 for a .22 rifle it would be another Ruger10/22.

I bought a single shot bolt action in a pawn shop for $50 thats almost like the Henry or cricket (which I also own and love) The cricket is hard to load with adult sized hands, but the no name pawn shop operates the same and has a more adult friendly stock, but is still small and light. That savage 24 is an awesome gun, but it is NOT a lightweight option unfortunately...the one I handled in a gun shop weighed about 7 pounds :O

My Stainless/laminate 10/22 is my long term feed me rifle.
I love the little CZ youth bolt action with a spacer.
Remington No1 Rolling Block boys rifle is nice(happen to have one :) )- takedown and few moving parts.

I always thought a satin nickel miniature Rolling Block in .357 would be the ultimate long term woods living rifle for the lower 48. Can load to max or way down, good with cast lead at low velocity for small game, good enough for whitetail deer at 50 yards and less. Very few moving parts or springs to break or wear. As simple as a muzzleloader but self contained cartridges.
May just sell a couple of rifles and pursue this one day.

Bill

Last edited:
The problem witht he Savage 24 is indeed the weight. I had one many years ago, and played around with it as a maybe survival rifle. Just too something, and I couldn't bond with it. Jack of al trades and master of none. Too heavy for a single shot .22, and way to heavy to use well as a shotgun as it was too off balance to wing shoot well. I ended up sticking with a conventional .22 rifle.

I figure if you have the room for a long arm, don't skimp. Take a real .22 rifle that delivers more than one shot, and will give real accuracy. A Henry mini bolt is not that much smaller that you can't carry a bolt action Marlin, Savage, or even a CZ instead, and have a real gun. A Marlin papoose is a very light rifle, yet gives 8 shots in a small take down 5 pound package. A Ruger 10/22 is a light rifle and has well known accuracy and has 'growth' potential.

The Henry makes a good kid's first rifle, but that's about it. If I'm gonna be stuck out in the boonies, I don't want to skimp on the gun.

I'd still take my CZ 452 with irons graduated to 200yd (they work, too) and barrel cut down to 20". sling swivels, locking bolt, adjustable trigger. one of the best used guns I ever bought.

Back