Would this not make a great survival rifle?

Henry mini bolt. It is very accurate with great sights, good trigger pull, weighs just over 3 pounds, very reliable.
016_zps9d0d58f7.jpg

I could have endless fun with a little nipper like that. I remember having a ruck full of rabbits, and I mean full as they were in a peak year. Popping them with shorts and walking up to an old timer at a large steaming aparatus in the river bush. He was one of the last people in the region still making furniture out of diamond willow shoots or some such. He had a long home made boiler\steamer that he laid the thin branches into to loosen the bark. Then out they came and he whipped the hide off those sticks in a flash. He had a very large pile beside him. I was a youngster and poached a few whitetails down by the river bank, along with many rabbits. I accidentaly nailed a rabbit in the neck instead of a head shot. It squealed and screeched like the devil was chasing it. I finally swung it by the hind legs and bashed its head off a tree a few times to kill it, blood spraying all over. After that rabbits screaching I didn't sight another. The shreaking must have scared the others off. I was using a borrowed single shot .22 that day, many years ago.

I the subject of .22 survival rifles, does anyone make a scabbard for the 10/22? I wouldn't mind toting it along sometimes if I could do it at least somewhat easily and discreetly.

I the subject of .22 survival rifles, does anyone make a scabbard for the 10/22? I wouldn't mind toting it along sometimes if I could do it at least somewhat easily and discreetly.

The 10/22 above in the link breaks down and comes in a small case.

My planned survival rifle is a Marlin 22 Mag bolt action (under barrel tubular magazine). It's there should the need ever develop. Will take up to deer sized game with careful shooting. If the size presents a problem I can always grab my Henry Mare's Leg in 22LR and slip it inside a pack. With a little effort, you can shoot these sufficiently accurately even though technically it is a handgun. As others have said, I could lengthen the stock with wood and duct tape if I had to.

The OP's Henry looks like it would do the trick if necessary.

Not necessarily for the 10/22 but Voodoo Tactical makes a shotgun scabbard that should work. It's designed for shotguns with 18" barrels. With the much shorter receiver of the 10/22 it might fit.

The local gun shop has one for $29.95 or something like that. If you have a local range or gun shop that sells them they'll probably let you try a 10/22 in it before buying.

I agree with jackknife..Don't skimp on a rifle if your going to be out in the boonies,skimp elsewhere (meaning weight of rifle,not price)..If you walk around all day and only have one or two chances at small game...The last thing you'll want is a single shot 22lr...Too many inexpensive bolt action 22lrs out there with seven round mags just begging to be cut down..Legally of course..

BTW I like my Savage 24s camper model..Its 22lr over 20 gauge and the wooden stock holds a couple rounds of each caliber..Its small and light with decent sights..The previous owner harvested two doe with it shooting cheap slugs..I also think for the size/weight,,the Ruger Charger is hard to beat..CD

My survival rifle is a shotgun.
mossberg-jic-xl_zps824b9aba.jpg

What'cha going to hit with a pistol grip SG?

If you are shooting rabbits & squirrels with birdshot, you may as well carry a .22 pistol and save yourself a lot of weight in gun + ammo.

For outdoors, the range & accuracy of a PG shotgun is short, very short.

What'cha going to hit with a pistol grip SG?

If you are shooting rabbits & squirrels with birdshot, you may as well carry a .22 pistol and save yourself a lot of weight in gun + ammo.

For outdoors, the range & accuracy of a PG shotgun is short, very short.

I am guessing that as with any tool discussed in conjunction with the word "survival", definitions of that word vary from person to person and environment to environment. The short shotty would excell at short range personal defense, but little else. This may well fit into MH's definition of "survival". Most of the single shot rimfires in this discussion are perfect for procurement of food, where "survival" is defined by the ability to feed oneself with small game (or yes, occasional larger game if one has the opportunity and skill).

I'm a big fan of single shot .22's. I bought a used Savage Mark I about 7 years ago for $70. Best $70 I've spent in a long time. It's a lot of fun to plink with .22 CB's and it's deadly accurate on squirrels and rabbits with .22lr's. I also really like open sights when banging around in the woods.

On a side note for a survival gun I would take my 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. The ability to shoot birdshot, buckshot, and slugs makes a shotgun pretty versatile.

I am guessing that as with any tool discussed in conjunction with the word "survival", definitions of that word vary from person to person and environment to environment. The short shotty would excell at short range personal defense, but little else. This may well fit into MH's definition of "survival". Most of the single shot rimfires in this discussion are perfect for procurement of food, where "survival" is defined by the ability to feed oneself with small game (or yes, occasional larger game if one has the opportunity and skill).

You make a lot of sense

You make a lot of sense

And I like your new little rifle. When I was a small lad, I cut my outdoor teeth on a Springfield bolt action single shot rifle. Mom and Dad trusted me to carry it afield without supervision and soon grew used to me coming home with a variety of small game. Grandpa would fuss if I hit rabbits other than in the head or squirrels other than in the heart/lungs. And having fed a family in the depression, he expected me to be miserly with my fifty cent box of .22 cartridges. I must have done OK since they upgraded me to my first shotgun when I was eight. But I well know how effective those little single shot rimfires can be if a part of survival is getting meat with the least expenditure of ammo and effort. As I said, now you got me wanting a new-fangled version of my old Springfield.

[video=youtube;nQSLxNJhTNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQSLxNJhTNg[/video]

Back