Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I respect the love for USA made Bucks. I personally would go for the USA made Bucks over their China models. We're talking about whether we would buy a China made *Buck*, not whether we would buy a China made knife. So I'll leave it at that

Something I forgot to mention is that there have been a few occasions where I almost bought a Chinese buck knife, before I realize where it was made. The price was pretty good, but I started think about how I wouldn't feel like I had a real buck knife in my pocket.
It's like when I was a kid and almost bought a cheapo 5$ Buck 110 lookalike before realizing I would feel bad every time I saw the real deal in the display case at the hardware store...ect, or feel ashamed of it everytime my dad or grandma reminisced about the buck 110 they used to have.
Call me stupid, but I like to feel good about my purchase and CHINA just doesn't do it for me.
This may sound stupid but looking down at my Buck knife and seeing USA stamped into the tang gives me a sense of pride.

There's nothing wrong with that pride dude, and you certainly don't have to explain it here. I, for one, agree with you. It's good that you're passionate about it. The American flag on that box stands for something and it's something I believe in. I'm a working man and I have four mouths to feed so I have to save for a knife when I want it. I'll save a little extra to get something made in Idaho. My awesome wife has been setting aside money so I can get the stag 110 with the black s30v blade from C&C because it's the most American knife I've ever seen. Have pride in your country and have pride in your knives that were made in our country...

If Buck had always produced knives in China that would be one thing. But they didn't. They made a business decision to do so. And then they stamped that decision on every knife like an artist signs a painting. Some customers don't mind, some don't even know. Others do. I collect and I use but most of all I look at and admire. I see it every time. And no I do not care to see it. I'm a customer, there you have it. Thank you Buck for listening to the customer.

Yes, I would. After a lifetime in the trades with tools, I prefer goods made overseas.

The kindest possible help you can give American workers is to encourage competition.

Not knocking your comment about preferring goods made overseas Jammer Six but I'm curious as to why you prefer overseas-made goods.

You gave no evidence either. I'm laughing.
I know about Buck's in house heat treatment. The calibrated equipment they use. Show me you know about the equipment the Chinese use.
DM

David, what I said was this:

"If the Chinese don't do the exact same Bos heat treat........it might be interesting to ask if anyone has any proof that the Chinese heat treat is not equal to or better than the Bos heat treat?
After all, they've been doing it for a couple thousand years longer than Buck."

That's a question.

Your answer was that you have no evidence to support your apparently unproven assumption that the Chinese heat treat is inferior to the Bos heat treat.

Maybe it isn't. Apparently nobody knows. They just assume.

Assuming is always fraught with peril.

:)

There's nothing wrong with that pride dude, and you certainly don't have to explain it here. I, for one, agree with you. It's good that you're passionate about it. The American flag on that box stands for something and it's something I believe in. I'm a working man and I have four mouths to feed so I have to save for a knife when I want it. I'll save a little extra to get something made in Idaho. My awesome wife has been setting aside money so I can get the stag 110 with the black s30v blade from C&C because it's the most American knife I've ever seen. Have pride in your country and have pride in your knives that were made in our country...
I wonder what folding knife will be on my belt everyday for the month of July ? ;);)

This will just go down a long rabbit hole and is off topic. Buck has invested much to insure a sound cryogenic cycle, the ovens and rockwell hardness tester. All of which have to be tested and calibrated. This sort of infrastructure is not found in many countries. I know how this is dealt with here. I doubt many of us are knowledgeable on how this is handled in foreign countries. Buck does send to China recommended heat treating formulas. How strictly these are adhered to we are unsure. DM

No big deal (and not off topic). I was just wondering if there was actual evidence to back up the idea that the Buck heat treat in the U.S. factory is better than the Buck heat treat in the China facilities.
No reason to assume a knife is inferior just because it comes from China. I suspect there are many things the Chinese can make as well as or better than us.

Might be the same one that's on my belt everyday :thumbsup:
If you're talking about the perfect representation of America that is the venerable 110 then you might be right ;);)
We can't light off real fireworks here, and I won't be having any sort of parties as I have to stay home and comfort my dog who is terribly afraid of fireworks so carrying my 110 throughout July is my way of celebrating.

About the heat treat, and quality in general. Buck is in the driver's seat with their Chinese knives. They can say, "Just send us knives" or they can specify exact alloy and a specific hardness. They can impose heat treating process requirements if they like. I have no idea which path they have chosen. But many companies who offshore teach the supplier exactly what to do and then audit the results. The flip side is that the importer may not want to teach the Chinese all their secrets. So they may say, "420 J and a minimum Rockwell Hardness of X." In this way they keep the Chinese from learning what is in their secret sauce when they make the US knives.

I've worked for years with foreign suppliers. You can demand good quality, or just say, "send us stuff." It is the importer's decision.

The first time you go to a new foreign supplier it is always a garden of bears - but with discipline they can be brought to whatever quality level you demand. By the time they get there it may cost as much as in the US, if you include your supervision costs. Then you have transportation delays and political risk - who know what country will do something that gets the current or the next US President/Congress angry? That is why automation is being used to bring the products home. Unfortunately the jobs do not come with them.

Non-Buck example: Go buy a $15 Coleman sleeping bag at Walmart. Then go buy an $80 sleeping bag at Cabelas. I have owned both. Both are made in China. The quality difference is tremendous.

I still prefer American products, when I can afford them.

Yup, exactly. What you buy in China is on you, not the Chinese. They'll be happy to build what you want, the way you want it, all you have to do is tell them.

I got 3 China Buck knifes a 371e Stockman a Canoe and a 835 2 blade pen knife.
All take and keep their edge like a Buck should.

Right on!
Best statement I've read yet.

No big deal (and not off topic). I was just wondering if there was actual evidence to back up the idea that the Buck heat treat in the U.S. factory is better than the Buck heat treat in the China facilities.
No reason to assume a knife is inferior just because it comes from China. I suspect there are many things the Chinese can make as well as or better than us.
With Paul boss name on the knife I would assume his is better than most.

With Paul boss name on the knife I would assume his is better than most.

Well, the assumptions seem to be common (and with good reason) but I was curious as to whether or not there is actual evidence that the Bos type treatment would be better than what the Chinese do on the Buck knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back