WSK on steroids !

In all seriousness, i like the knife. I think the handles could be dialed down a bit. They look kind of aggressive for sustained use. Other than that it looks like a winner. I would think a smoother handle would work well. Something like the aftermarket Micarta Becker handles. I looked at TOPS site, often they have alternate handles. Doesn't seem to be the case with this one.

I like the look of it, wonder it the draw knife is ground a little thinner then the Tops Tracker.
The quarter round is nice and deep, looks better then on the tops tracker imho.
Moving the saw back wil be more gentle on batons :)
I'm not sure about the handle thought (based on the pics only, no hands on experience), I like the multiple positions on the more 'traditional' wsk designs (if there is such a thing as a traditional wsk)

I have a Red Scorpion Six that I absolutely love.
It's a fun knife to take out and use in the woods.
A curl making machine for sure.

Didn't think the was much love for the wsk design on bladeforums, good to see some positive comments here :)

Thx for your observations folks. Some of you get it, others dont. It had nothing to do with The Tracker. I never saw a Tracker until after I designed the first proto type. More thought, research, sweat, blood, tears, and pain went into this two and a half year journey than you know. The SXB is a stand alone Fighting Survival Knife. When you touch one, all questions are answered. It's it's own BEAST!!! Not a fix for someone else, developed out of need and to please only me. The size is right, the weight is right, and it does all its supposed to and then some. And unlike other Blades, i tested the prototype for four months, it sucked, we fixed it, and then I took the SXB with me to the Colombian Wild with me and nothing else for a final 40 day test to battle test it, harden it, and make sure it was proven! Mission complete!!! And delivered! Hooah!

Regards, EJ Snyder

Thx for your observations folks. Some of you get it, others dont. It had nothing to do with The Tracker. I never saw a Tracker until after I designed the first proto type. More thought, research, sweat, blood, tears, and pain went into this two and a half year journey than you know. The SXB is a stand alone Fighting Survival Knife. When you touch one, all questions are answered. It's it's own BEAST!!! Not a fix for someone else, developed out of need and to please only me. The size is right, the weight is right, and it does all its supposed to and then some. And unlike other Blades, i tested the prototype for four months, it sucked, we fixed it, and then I took the SXB with me to the Colombian Wild with me and nothing else for a final 40 day test to battle test it, harden it, and make sure it was proven! Mission complete!!! And delivered! Hooah!

Regards, EJ Snyder

Thanks for dropping in and explaining, not that you needed to. It's appreciated though. My observations were from the perspective of an "improved" WSK, to which it bears a striking resemblance. As a new design, my critique is out the window! Please tell us some more about the design and maybe it'll help open some eyes:) Thanks again. It's ALWAYS appreciated when a designer or maker stops by:thumbup:

This link was posted in the review section. For your review: The Skull Crusher Xtreme B.
[video=youtube;Ul7XjCXLg7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul7XjCXLg7U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'd like to see some use reviews after it hits the market.

I still don't see the point of the "recurve" section of the blade, that divides the "fine tasks" part and the chopping part.

For instance, if you take knife like hudson bay camp knife of same length to the TOPS knife, you:
1. Lose the annoying curve -> straight, useful blade -> more versatility
2. Get little bit more weight to blade (since there is no more cutout), hence allowing you to thin out the blade and give better cutting performance

A.L., that quarter round portion can be pretty handy. It's not an easy part to sharpen, but even on a big, thick knife it can make some of the finest curls I've ever seen. And fast if you know what you're doing. It can also be dangerous as you're cutting towards yourself. On the WSK design, a good way to use it is holding the blade. That allows the long handle, along with holding your material with a carefully placed hand, to act as a "stop" to keep it from slipping and doing nasty things. It's really a cool feature on the WSK IMHO. This blade is too long to use a hand on blade hold, at least it looks like it, so I'm not sure if it will be as handy as on a regular WSK. I know Mr. Snyder said it wasn't a WSK, but it shares so many features that I can't help but compare the two at some level.

Now, on the plus side for this SXB, some WSK's, the Tops TB1 being the worst in this respect, the quarter round is in a funky spot which seems right about where the chopping sweet spot is. This design seems better suited in that regard, as the chopping area is a nice belly.

I'm not saying any of these WSKish designs are better for woods use than anything else. I think most here will agree that a machete and SAK Farmer will accomplish any task worth doing:D. For me, after playing with the Tops TB1, I like the concept. It's short and stout, but does fine work WITH some practice (I'm still working on that part:)). Thanks to our very own Stabman, we learned it's not 28 oz. like Tops says, but more like 22. In a scout sheath, it's easy to carry. It seems most folks who actually try the WSK design like it, or at least appreciate the features. This SXB shares those features, but in a much longer knife. Whether it'll fill the same niche remains to be seen. The WSK design is controversial and I fully expect the SXB to be the same, but variety is the spice of life.

Fair enough, I don't want to sound like I bash the knife. I could say though, that the knife could have more credibility in my eyes as "survival knife" if it didn't have all that tacticoolness in it, such as the skull and the aggressive design. And the handle looks really uncomfortable too.

Fair enough, I don't want to sound like I bash the knife. I could say though, that the knife could have more credibility in my eyes as "survival knife" if it didn't have all that tacticoolness in it, such as the skull and the aggressive design. And the handle looks really uncomfortable too.

I share your concerns about this one, especially the handle. I have to say tough, I didn't think much of the Tracker until I was forced to try one after months of goading by a friend. After that the desire to pick one up built from an ember to a bonfire. This one probably doesn't do too much more than my beloved khukuri, so I'm not likely to purchase one. I am eagerly awaiting the field tests though. It may be a winner, once you get past the skull-crushing part:D

I find this odd (stats from the TOPS website).

SXT: O/A Length: 16 3/4"
Blade Length: 10 3/8"
Cutting Edge: 9 3/4”
Thickness: 1/4"
Weight: 26oz

Tracker (full-sized): O/A Length: 11 7/8"
Blade Length: 4 1/4" (Draw Knife: 2 1/8", Saw: 2 1/2")
Weight: 1 lb 12oz

Is it just me, or is the weight way low for the SXB given its length? Have they started making the Tracker from tungsten, dark matter, or what, to make it 2 ounces heavier than a longer blade of the same thickness?

I find this odd (stats from the TOPS website).

SXT: O/A Length: 16 3/4"
Blade Length: 10 3/8"
Cutting Edge: 9 3/4”
Weight: 26oz

Tracker (full-sized): O/A Length: 11 7/8"
Blade Length: 4 1/4" (Draw Knife: 2 1/8", Saw: 2 1/2")
Weight: 1 lb 12oz

Is it just me, or is the weight way low for the SXB given its length? Have they started making the Tracker from tungsten, dark matter, or what, to make it 2 ounces heavier than a longer blade of the same thickness?

The TOPS Knives site is wrong about the Tracker blade length and the weight.
Quite a bit wrong.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1285502-The-Tom-Brown-Tracker-is-okay

I reckon Mr. Snyder isn't coming back to talk about this all new "Fighting Survival Knife" which many of us mistakenly believed was based on the WSK:). I'll have to be satisfied with his words, "When you touch one, all questions are answered". As soon as any of you guys touch one, please let us know the answers to all questions. Thanks!

My Tops SXB arrived today and I'm both excited and disappointed, but overall I'm happy with it. I'll get a few pics with a first impression. I'll start a new thread in this forum as this is where I found the largest interest.

I'll put a link in this post when I get the thread started.

Here are the threads-
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1319242-Tops-SXB-First-Impressions-and-Pics!?p=15135337#post15135337

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1319243-Tops-SXB-First-Impressions-and-Pics!?p=15135343#post15135343

Last edited:
Back