XL vaquero serrated or Counter Point XL

I only have the budget for one of these knives. It will be carried for self preservation. I'm looking at the XL voyager vaquero serrated OR the counter point XL, or maybe a serrated tanto, which would you carry?

Last edited:
The Vaquero, plus it looks a little less tactical if that means anything to you. I would pick a 6" TiLite/Holdout I over the Counterpoint.

XL Voyager Vaquero serrated.
Both are good selections, but the Vaquero is the better slashing blade and IMO a better grip shape.
This ^^^ ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vaquero is much better slasher / slicer but can still stab .

Serrated for SD is best .

PE if for lots of utility use . Not much fun to sharpen this type SE , IMO .

Vaquero for self defense. I would also consider the XL Voyager Tanto at this price point. If you want to spend a bit less but still get a fantastic self defense knife, consider the 6" Luzon.

I own both plain and serrated Vaqueros and think that they are the best defensive folder in the world at that size and price, but I actually carry my XL Tanto more often. The primary reason is that it is also a fantastic tool that's easy to resharpen.

Whichever you buy, consider adding a snaggletooth MF when you can afford it. I have the aluminum version on most of my defensive Cold Steels.

Vaquero XL plain edge.
When the time comes sharpening will be done using a fairly coarse diamond file, making sure all edge irregularities point a bit backwards.

Is that the original pocket clip?

Yes, this is the right hand clip that came with the knife, and it has no markings.
The left hand clip which is still in the box is marked "Cold Steel".

Like the member above I've had the serrated Vaquero Grande with it's 6"blade for about 20 years or more. Mine even came with a kydex sheath which is pretty rare for a folder. I've also got the serrated Vaquero with the 5" blade [which was discontinued pretty quickly] and the more recent serrated XL Vaquero Voyager with the 5.5"blade. I've always considered all three to be devestating self-defense blades.

are you guys recommending a plain edge because of its broader utility?
This ^^^ ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vaquero is much better slasher / slicer but can still stab .

Serrated for SD is best .

PE if for lots of utility use . Not much fun to sharpen this type SE , IMO .
Serrated Cold Steel are great for a self defense / fighting knife but are a real PITA to properly sharpen , IMO .

As a counterpoint (hehehe) to the popular opinion here, I’d argue the Counterpoint’s blade shape would penetrate matter more easily. Since it has an edge, you could also still slash with it. I don’t have fighting experience by any means, but I’m also concerned that the serrations might get hung up on the hostile’s clothing. Unless you get attacked by rope, I’d stick with plain edge for utility and potential SD purposes.

Digressing from the SD discussion, the Voyager XL is a fantastic utility knife. Love mine for opening boxes and other boring stuff.

are you guys recommending a plain edge because of its broader utility?

Many self defense experts recommend plain edged, claiming serrated tends to get snagged in some material or other issues. Lynn Thompson suggested serrated based on the many thousands of tests his company performed, saying that serrated offered as much as 30% greater performance (If i recall correctly).

Spyderco apparently agrees with LT, as evidenced by the Civilian and Matriarch, knives designed exclusively as defensive tools. That said, in his many pocket dump videos LT seems to always carry a mixed pair of plain and serrated Vaqueros, along with other blades in other locations.

The sharpening thing is arguably a non issue. First, as a general rule you probably should not use your weapons in other tasks. If you plan to do so, I would consider the XL Tanto over either of the knives mentioned in the OP. And even then, use it carefully so it is always ready to do its job -- particularly if that is your only weapon.

That aside, plain edge is definitely gonna be easier to sharpen on most anything. There are two ways to sharpen your serrated blade. The first is to send it back to the company that made it. I have only used this with Spyderco, and there with mixed results over many knives. I own a special stone, made for Cold Steel's serration pattern, but have never actually used it.

Serrated CS XL Vaquero all the way! The only thing for self defense that would be more devastating that you could carry in your pocket would be a chain saw.

Back