You can only have ONE with you

We don't have to drop to bashing here, everyone has their own favorite blade they want to carry in the field. I have used just about every type of knife under the sun, and they all work. As has been said, it all comes down to personal preference.

Exactly. I've seen this come up time and time again with respect to a lot of brands. It works both ways. People make claims about their [BRAND X] knives because they've invested a lot in them and they want to proclaim them the best. Other people hate to pay more than $100 for a knife because they see it as wasteful, and they resent it when [BRAND X] owners rave about their knives. Chaos ensues... :D

I don't just like Busses. I like HI khuks, Bark Rivers, Spydercos, Benchmades, Swamp Rats, Scrap Yards, and Bucks. I like Beckers too... ;)

BeckerGroup.jpg

Who's bashing? I love busses and as I said would love to own one and without a doubt will. The only thing I am bashing is the idea that you will probably die if you don't have one, it's a damn good piece of steel, not a magic wand. Chris

Anyway Back to Question at hand... Man Sometimes that sounds like heaven... especially if it was maybe Southern Alaska. Anyway I'd want either a Boker Mini Smatchet or a Boker Orca.

People make claims about their [BRAND X] knives because they've invested a lot in them and they want to proclaim them the best.

My point is there is no "BEST" best for a certain situation maybe but there is no one best for everything. If you want to talk about bashing, the first time you say anything at all the least bit derogatory about a busse you certainly get shouted down in a hurry.:jerkit:

Who's bashing? I love busses and as I said would love to own one and without a doubt will. The only thing I am bashing is the idea that you will probably die if you don't have one, it's a damn good piece of steel, not a magic wand. Chris

I totally agree. What's best is what you have on you at the time. I can't EDC a Busse unless it's about the size of my Spyderco, and at that size, it's not really a practical survival knife anyway. However, I do always have a Busse in pretty close proximity, and I always have one handy when on the road. Why? Well, I've abused some of my Busses pretty well, and they hold up. That's all I have to go on.

My point is there is no "BEST" best for a certain situation maybe but there is no one best for everything. If you want to talk about bashing, the first time you say anything at all the least bit derogatory about a busse you certainly get shouted down in a hurry.:jerkit:

Chris I don't understand the highlighted text, and I don't particularly understand the motivation behind the jerkit smiley. One credit to the moderators in the Busse forum. They've seen fit to ban that silly icon.

Regarding the shout-downs... If you're an idiot who bashes Busses over in the Busse forum, then sure you're shouted down. It just happened with a user (appropriately) named LittlePrick over there. Same goes for Spydercos in the Spyderco forum, Bucks in the Buck forum, Sebenzas in the Chris Reeve forum, and so on... However, if you want to actually discuss the Busse knives and their relative merits or downfalls for particular uses, I think you'll actually be surprised at the level of debate that you get. And there are a lot of cross comparisons. There is a thread over there right now about the possibility of a Busse khuk, and people are bringing up HI's, Wilson Tactical, and Bill Siegle knives.

Edited to add: When I think about it, I don't think I've seen any posts that actually bash Busse knives. If you ask over in General about a hard-use survival/camp knife, Busse will come up, even from people that don't own them. However, what people do bash are (a) the prices, (b) the availability, (c) the marketing (limited models), (d) the competitive demand, (e) the zealous fan base. What people are actually bashing is Busse Combat and/or the Busse forum, often because they don't like one thing or another about the company practices business or how the Busse fans show their devotion to this product line.

Regarding the first four complaints, I say, "baloney." Busses are worth the money in part because they hold their worth, in addition to all the reasons already listed (fit, finish, durability, edge retention, warranty, customer service). And they are not that hard to find. Take your budget for your next three knives, buy a Busse through the numerous channels that are possible, and try it out. If you don't like it, odds are you can sell it for what you paid, or if you hold onto it a while, even make a few bucks. My guess, however, is that the knife will impress you enough that you keep it or trade/sell it to get another Busse.

Regarding the last complaint, I say, "tough cookies." The Busse crowd is pretty tight-knit bunch who help each other out in all kinds of ways, and they're not afraid to show their devotion to this line. They are happy to share knowledge and info about this line with others. The Busse forum is one of the more civil and entertaining ones on BF (see above note about the jerkit smiley) unless trolls come in and start bashing. The regulars over there know how to joke and have a good time, and while there are plenty of collectors who only collect, there are a great deal more people who simply enjoy using the knives.

Guyon,
Read knifetesters posts in this thread, that is the reason for the text that you highlighted.

The reason for the jerkit emicon is no other knife brand that I am aware of has the cult like following that busses have, that speaks volumes about the company and their poducts, it also seems to be somewhat of a cool kids club, and if you don't sing the praises of Jerry Busse you are an idiot. It gets very tiring when you try to discuss the merits and downfalls of that product or the unreasonable price and it starts a pissing match everytime. Knives and clothes are some of the only things that I can think of that the price has almost no bearing on function, it is a badge and a symbol, and if you are not willing to pay that price you are looked down upon and made to feel somehow inferior. Saying that a busse is the only knife on the planet that is suited to survival situation is, as I said before silly. Chris

Anyway Back to Question at hand... Man Sometimes that sounds like heaven... especially if it was maybe Southern Alaska. Anyway I'd want either a Boker Mini Smatchet or a Boker Orca.

You just made me remember a Boker White Hunter that I had disappear some years ago. I was scared to death of using it, since it was worth almost $100.00 at the time. I really like the look of the Orca. Do you have one, and how is it to use?

Guyon,
I am not sure if you read my post and then added your edit or somehow knew what I was going to say, either way, it was well thought out and hit all the points. Sure I would love to own a busse, one of the smaller models would be great, I am always searching various auction sites and am on the look out for one but I just can't seem to part with the cash when I am very satisfied with what I am currently using. Busses marketing strategy, although very effective, makes me mad as hell as well as rabid collectors. Market dictates price and non users and availibility drive the price through the roof. Chris

Guyon,
Read knifetesters posts in this thread, that is the reason for the text that you highlighted.

The reason for the jerkit emicon is no other knife brand that I am aware of has the cult like following that busses have, that speaks volumes about the company and their poducts, it also seems to be somewhat of a cool kids club, and if you don't sing the praises of Jerry Busse you are an idiot. It gets very tiring when you try to discuss the merits and downfalls of that product or the unreasonable price and it starts a pissing match everytime. Knives and clothes are some of the only things that I can think of that the price has almost no bearing on function, it is a badge and a symbol, and if you are not willing to pay that price you are looked down upon and made to feel somehow inferior. Saying that a busse is the only knife on the planet that is suited to survival situation is, as I said before silly. Chris

I don't quite agree about the following being exclusive to Busse. There are people over in the Spyderco forum who are just as fervid and would defend Sal Glesser if he committed a felony. It's even more pronounced in the Spyderco home forum.

I do agree that Busse gets singled out more, however, as a "cult" because the knives are expensive. Same thing happens with Chris Reeve's Sebenzas. I can't count how many "Is it really worth it?" threads I've seen regarding the Sebbies.

Part of the defensiveness comes from the fact that many of the folks there know Jerry personally and they've enjoyed his good nature and comraderie first-hand. He's a good marketer and a good salesman, no doubt about it, but his generous nature and easy-go-lucky charm isn't an act. What you see is what you get.

I post over in Busse all the time, and I don't really see the snobbishness you refer to. Folks bring up Bark Rivers, HI khuks, Beckers, Rangers, etc. all the time and sing their praises. Believe me, I'm one of the folks doing it. Now there are some knife brands that get knocked over there (not mentioning any names here), but those brands tend to polarize people in any of the forums.

I am waiting on my WSK from Daniel Koster and some of you have got me to thinking about a Nessmuk design. I haven't seen any mention of this design yet. Is a Nesse anyones #1?

You know? The more I think about this question, the more I think about a blade I carried for many years and miles. It was a handmade blade that looked like a Western Skinner. The fella that taught me to trap Bobcat when I was about 7, gave it to me. He told me it came over the Oregon Trail with one of his ancestors. That blade did everything. It was way better than a sharp rock too.;) :D

I post over in Busse all the time, and I don't really see the snobbishness you refer to.

I don't post or visit the busse forum, perhaps I should, if you want to see what I am talking about read knifetesters posts in this thread. I could mention other specific names, but I will let this die and not start an all out war. I enjoy your posts and you are not the snob that I have seen in several other posts. Chris

Guyon,
I am not sure if you read my post and then added your edit or somehow knew what I was going to say, either way, it was well thought out and hit all the points. Sure I would love to own a busse, one of the smaller models would be great, I am always searching various auction sites and am on the look out for one but I just can't seem to part with the cash when I am very satisfied with what I am currently using. Busses marketing strategy, although very effective, makes me mad as hell as well as rabid collectors. Market dictates price and non users and availibility drive the price through the roof. Chris

Check your email. I admit it can be frustrating when you're looking for a model and they sell out in seconds. It takes a fast mouse and an "oh well" attitude sometimes. However, there's not a single Busse I've wanted that I have not been able to find, other than the elusive SFNO.

I am waiting on my WSK from Daniel Koster and some of you have got me to thinking about a Nessmuk design. I haven't seen any mention of this design yet. Is a Nesse anyones #1?

You know? The more I think about this question, the more I think about a blade I carried for many years and miles. It was a handmade blade that looked like a Western Skinner. The fella that taught me to trap Bobcat when I was about 7, gave it to me. He told me it came over the Oregon Trail with one of his ancestors. That blade did everything. It was way better than a sharp rock too.;) :D

I don't own a Nessie, though I've sure as heck thought about getting one from a custom maker. Dan Koster makes a nice one, I think. I have another maker with whom I'm going to collaborate on a Nessie design, once I do all my homework on this design.

I don't post or visit the busse forum, perhaps I should, if you want to see what I am talking about read knifetesters posts in this thread. I could mention other specific names, but I will let this die and not start an all out war. I enjoy your posts and you are not the snob that I have seen in several other posts. Chris

That's funny. I didn't recognize the username.

I just did an Advanced Search.

Exactly 2 of knifetester's 753 posts have been in the Busse forum. :p

I want to key in on a couple of Becker knives I see in this thread. Some great blades...

Absolutely no doubt in my mind:

Machax-1.jpg

Cincinnati Becker Machax

Doc

Doc, if you see this, would you say more about this one in the field? I own one but have never used it, though I have used my Camillus Becker Machax. For me, it's not as efficient a chopper as a full-blown khukuri, but you do gain a lot more portability. The Machax is an easier knife to carry.

This Becker has done it all for me, splitting wood, making fuzz sticks, cleaning fish, pickin out splinters, cutting up cheese.... you get the point.

DSC00008.jpg

Not too big, not too small, comfortable in the hand. I'm going too miss this brand.

What wood is that? Very nice mod. I have a Becker Campanion that I've stripped and plan to rehandle with some kind of wood.

Check out this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448182

There are some beautiful mods by soup monger there.

.... I don't own a Nessie, though I've sure as heck thought about getting one from a custom maker. Dan Koster makes a nice one, I think. I have another maker with whom I'm going to collaborate on a Nessie design, once I do all my homework on this design.

Can't resist an chance to post a pic of my latest acquisition. Cost quite a bit more than My SJ Tac LE posted above, but nonetheless, worth it to me :)

It's a James Batson "Frontier" blade, though it seems to me to look Nessie-ish. Full convex grind, forged carbon steel. It's my only Mastersmith blade, and I'm proud to have it! :D

I'll be taking this on my canoe trip coming up.

I think I'd still pick my SJ Tac LE as my "only blade" if absolutely necessary, as it will chop a bit better (I'm assuming an axe isn't allowed as an extra in this exercise)

batson2.jpg

It's a James Batson "Frontier" blade, though it seems to me to look Nessie-ish. Full convex grind, forged carbon steel. It's my only Mastersmith blade, and I'm proud to have it! :D

I'll be taking this on my canoe trip coming up.

That's a good looking blade! Pack it in something that floats!!!

I want to key in on a couple of Becker knives I see in this thread. Some great blades...

Doc, if you see this, would you say more about this one in the field? I own one but have never used it, though I have used my Camillus Becker Machax. For me, it's not as efficient a chopper as a full-blown khukuri, but you do gain a lot more portability. The Machax is an easier knife to carry.

Hey Guyon,
I think it was to you I sent a copy of American Survival Guide's Machax evaluation? Anyway, I bought the Machax a couple of years after that evaluation came out. (Can't remember exactly how long ago that was). I've used it camping and canoeing and for the size it can't be beat IMHO.

I can't compare it to a khukuri because I've never used one, but I have used quite a few different bolo style machetes, and it compares very favourably. In fact, during a bow making class, while roughing out a stave, I went from a hatchet, to a bolo, to the Machax. The Machax seemed to offer considerably more control - important when you don't want to cut through the guide lines. :)

The thick blade makes it ideal for batonning firewood.

A friend of mine bought a Camillus Machax with the coated blade and the kydex sheath. I don't like it as well, esthetically speaking, but I never tried it out to see if it handled any differently. Cliff did an evaluation on the Camillus version, but I don't know if he ever did one on the Cincinnati version. (If so, please supply a link)

Anyway, I don't know what else I can tell you, unless you have specific questions.

BTW, I think you have the 10" Linders? What's your opinion, or have you used it in the field?

Doc

What wood is that? Very nice mod. I have a Becker Campanion that I've stripped and plan to rehandle with some kind of wood.

Check out this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448182

There are some beautiful mods by soup monger there.

SoupMonger was my inspiration to try out modding my Becker, he's a talented guy.

That wood is Oak from the limb of a tree in the yard at the house I grew up in. Lota memories in that handle.

The pores of the wood were filled with super glue, sanded it down to 1200 grit and soaked it in Boiled linseed oil.

Thanks for asking.

Id probably want something like this....

tracker0077.jpg

Seems like you could do a lot with this design.

Back