Your best tools on sak or multitool(besides blade) & Why

mitch13

Gold Member
For me a sak or multitool is a boon.. I have limited use in 1 hand ( that's another story;)). However I find the tools beneficial in my daily life, for the normal tool uses but improvising the uses on a daily basis. I thought I would share and others might like to share:)

Here is my best 3 in no particular order.

cap lifter - Sure I open an occasional ale but I use it daily to open jars. Slip it under the lip of the jar and prise gently until you hear that seal pop. otherwise I'd have to get someone else to open it for me.

pliers- yep use them for wire and tightening stuff. Also great for unclogging drains or vacuum cleaners, have a lot of long hair in the family. Use the pliers a lot like tongs or forceps to keep my hand clean, handy gardening to pick up seeds or make shallow hole for seed. I'm sure there's lots of ideas that people have come up with.

saw blade- Great for garden maintenance, get in to all those tight spots, also good on a bit of plastic or trimming down a walking stick.

So for me a sak or multitool is an essential bit of kit, even if is only a classic that I can use to open a bag for myself.

Lets here what your best tools are and how you use em.
mitch

Flat blade/caplifter as well for the uses you mentioned Mitch. I use a MT/SAK at our furniture store almost every. The phillips see its fair share of use as well.

The awl is also a frequently used tool for scraping, starting holes etc...sometimes things simply don't line up when assembling items and the awl helps line up the holes so I can start one bolt then the others fall in line :thumbsup:

Again, another mentioned by Mitch is the pliers for obvious reasons but also like you said, it's great as a detailed pick up tool. It's very handy when digging for a smaller screw in a tool tray full of screws, so you don't harpoon your finger tips from the other screws.

Man the list can continue as there are so many times throughout the day that the tools play a vital role.......again the pliers twisting zip ties is far more effective for me vs cutting them which can be precarious when dealing with expensive upholsteryo_O

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic, but I can't think of much to add. I use my saks and multis pretty much daily, but mostly just for the same things they were designed for. I try to always remember the right tool for the job and all that.

My top priority/favorite tools on a sak are the saw and awl. But I mostly just use them as a saw and awl. Yesterday I poked a new hole in my 3 year olds belt with the awl on my Farmer X. The pliers on a sak or multi are super handy whenever there's a wasp or a stink-bug so I don't have to touch them with my hands when I rescue my wife and toddlers.lol.

Flat blade/caplifter as well for the uses you mentioned Mitch. I use a MT/SAK at our furniture store almost every. The phillips see its fair share of use as well.

The awl is also a frequently used tool for scraping, starting holes etc...sometimes things simply don't line up when assembling items and the awl helps line up the holes so I can start one bolt then the others fall in line :thumbsup:

Again, another mentioned by Mitch is the pliers for obvious reasons but also like you said, it's great as a detailed pick up tool. It's very handy when digging for a smaller screw in a tool tray full of screws, so you don't harpoon your finger tips from the other screws.

Man the list can continue as there are so many times throughout the day that the tools play a vital role.......again the pliers twisting zip ties is far more effective for me vs cutting them which can be precarious when dealing with expensive upholsteryo_O
Good idea with the zip ties, keeping the customers happy not damaging the upholstery. ;)

On a SAK, I use the screwdriver (I'd say flat and Phillips about equally, or the bit driver if that's an option), scissors, and file more than the actual blade.

You also included multitools in general, which for me brings in my Leatherman -- so then it's pliers, screwdriver, and file. :)

Scissors- I use them for everything. Opening packages, cutting tie wraps, cutting tape, trimming loose thread, etc.... I use them way more then the knife blade as they are safer and more precise

Cap lifter- Light duty prying, turning screws, as actual cap lifter too

Awl- Mainly as a scraper, starting and enlarging holes, clean under my fingernails, marking wood, good for opening packages as well

Outdoors I use the saw on an SAK the most. In addition to the obvious sawing of smaller stuff, it's great for making notches quickly and it's my go-to for a ferrocerium rod scraper. Indoors, I use the Vic can opener as a phillips driver as well as a small wedge/prybar/scraper. It works great for opening small split rings.

Everyone else has pretty much covered the tools that I use most often: saw, awl, scissors, and cap lifter/driver. The tools that I use the least on either SAKs or multitools are files, can openers, wire strippers, and eyeglass screwdrivers. So much so that I replaced the eyeglass driver on my Wave+ with a second flat screwdriver blade ground into an awl.

Most used on my SAK Huntsman are the scissors and saw.
Most used on the SAK Signature are the scissors and pen.
Most used on my Scout/camp/demo knives are the punch/awl and can opener. (best can opener I've ever found ... at least on the Demo knife.)

The on the back location of the punch/awl on the SAK's makes it less than handy/ideal to use when needed to remove goathead thorns from your bicycle and tow behind the bicycle trailer tires.
(hopefully before they ventilate the tubes.)

the saw is great to strike a ferro rod. i place the saw in my tinder bundle and strike the ferro rod over the spine.

i wish they would make a "saw only" sak

Scissors because sometimes they’re the better tool for cutting, cap lifter because I rarely drink twist offs, and the awl just because it comes in handy for many different jobs.

Last edited:
Maybe a sak walker, has only blade, cap lifter and saw. I have an older lumber jack which is the same, really like it for the saw.
27166a6d-3848-4a3f-bpgkl6.jpeg

this model was called Woodsman or pioneer range. i remember these from when i was a kid.
(i'm 35 now)

when we went on shool excursions,hikes etc. teachers would give us a list of mandatory things we had to bring and a SAK was one of them.the good old days...

I use the scissors more than any other tool.
They are so precise and effective (especially for nose hair, mustache, and beard).

The 2nd most used tool is the tweezers.

And the 3rd most used is the can opener.
But like others have said, it's not used to actually open cans so much as it's used as a metal fingernail to pry and manipulate.
It's perfect for removing the take down pin on a Ruger LCP.

Had to think about this one but weirdly it's going to be the corkscrew simply because I use it as a fidget toy, clicking it open and closed. It also helps out a lot with knots or poking stuff.

Back