Your Mission: Design a Khukuri!

Uncle Bill has approached you to design a khukuri for the kamis of BirGhorka to make. He has asked that the khukuri not only be a very practical user, but also a great looking khukuri as well. You are also expected to design a scabbard, karda and chakma as well. What is your design proposal and why did you design it that way?

Harry

P.S. - Let's have some fun with this topic.

Where havw you been, Harry? You're way late
wink.gif
See my post of 10-10-2000 "HIVK"
Dan

Speaking of special designs, I hear that Yvsa's wood model has been converted to steel and is in the air!

I did not put a priority on this model so you can see what the kamis think of Cherokee Indians who look like Tibetans and who also keep buying great numbers of HI khukuris and who have their pix up on the HI customer bulletin board!

Yvsa, you are one of the darlings of BirGorkha.

Seriously, the kamis know many of the HI customers by pix and name and when they see an order come in for somebody they know they take it upon themselves to expedite the order. I guess that is not all bad.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (18,000+ posts)

Okay Kozak, I'll bite.

I'd like to see a UBE pattern with a 24 inch blade, one and three fourths to two inches wide at the waist, 3 inches at the widest, one-half inch thick, fullered like the Gelbu Special, with a 10 inch handle.
The "Sarki With No Name" does a great job already, I wouldn't change the design of the scabbard, or karda and chakma.

Why in the world?

I am a fan of hand-and-a-half/two-handed
heavy cutting swords. This would be something like a falchion or falcata you could use two-handed. The Gelbu Special-like fullering would take a lot of the weight out, and the extra width would allow an edge profile great for cleaving/shearing cuts. The upswept point would put more edge out there and be more efficient for thrusting.

At least that's how the theory goes.

------------------
"To know and to act are one."

[This message has been edited by Finnean (edited 10-28-2000).]

Originally posted by Dan K:
Where havw you been, Harry? You're way late
wink.gif
See my post of 10-10-2000 "HIVK"
Dan

In the process of organizing a move. Even the SO is not omniscent.
wink.gif

Thank you for the tip.

Harry

Finnean, what modifications to the handle would you make if it is going to be a hand and a halfer or two hander as I believe that the standard khukuri handle would not be as comfortable....

Harry

Uncle,

Yeah, that sounds like a classic!

By the way, my Ganga Ram Special is three inches wide. With the wide, deep fullering I don't think the Beast will be nearly as heavy as you might think.

Kozak,

Firstly I'd request a chainpuri chiruwa style handle. I think a good compromise would be a smooth oval shape with ring grooves where the respective hand placement would be. The bell shape at the butt would help keep it in your hand.
I would think this pattern would be practical for really heavy chopping applications.

------------------

Finnean, would this be a wood or horn handle? I am guessing wood.

Harry

P.S. Decided to change my user name out of personal preference to reflect my profession.

What about a 13.5" AK ( or equivalent Salyan or Dhankuta ) with an S.O.B. ( small of back ) nearly horizontal thin sheath of Kydex? Take a look at the Paratrooper model. Small enough to carry, big enough to accomplish something with.

-------------------------
P.S. - Notice that Harry posted the " A change ... " thread at 11:38 PM, the same minute that I posted the previous comment.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 10-29-2000).]

Harry,

You guessed right. I'm a lot more comfortable with wood for the long term than horn, but that's just my personal feeling.

------------------

A "user" dui chirra (kothimoda style) blade, 18-19" with a standard wood handle,Habaki bolster and flat buttcap.karda and chakma with bolsters and buttcaps,and a standard scabbard with no tooling but left handed(at least for me!)

I will go with Rusty on this one. Though with the thick AK blade stock I would be more trusting of a thick grade of kydex. Possible variation(s): full tang with cord-wrap?
Maybe G10 slabs installed by whomever does the sheathwork?
In fact, haven't we done any serious kydex equiped models yet?
Leo

View

I put down my pen and realized...
I don't think anyone at BirGorkha would appreciate trying to make an 'extreme' khukuri, but it did make the foundation for a heckuva nice t-shirt graphic.

Chris S.

Now that one just might come back if you throw it right.

Back