Your opinion on Emerson knives?

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a mini CQC-8 or CQC-7AW. I think they're really awesome blades. But I've read a lot of mixed views on Emerson quality and fit and finish, especially on the titanium liner lock. What's your guys thoughts?

Thank you!

They are great, I love them, and they are the only modern folders I carry. Of course, at first I thought they were horrible, overpriced, etc... but that was before I bought one and used it. Emerson folders have a distinct feel and "formula"--you'll know if it's for you once you get one in hand. Let us know!

Every knife person needs to try an 8, 7, roadhouse or a100. Already broken in on the exchange is even better. If you have an issue with the lock send it in. A+ warranty service. Even though I've sold off most I'll never sell my super roadhouse, 8 or a100. I can't say the same for my zts.

Im pretty new to Emersons and this forum but I really love Emerson knives. I used to read the complaints and wondered about it. Started with a CQC 7 and was in love. Bought a 7 for my brother in the military and one for my dad. I own four and haven't seen the quality issues in the six knives I had in my hands. People complain about the steel but it gets the job done and no other company can touch the ergonomics. Blade steel is only half of it but the way they fit the human hand is so good. Aias put it best "Emerson folders have a distinct feel and "formula". They just feel right to me. I say its worth trying one it may convert you.

Every Emerson I have handled has had a sticky, but secure lock. Some graphite helps a lot. I am hyper aware of flaws in my knives, but for some reason, I love every Emerson I have had. I think it is just one of those knives that you will connect with or you will be like "WTF?" The fit and finish may be rough for the price, but I think they are some of the best designed user knives around. They are durable, easy to use, and easy to maintain. I like that they have plastic washers. Give them a try. My only suggestion would be to get one with a v-grind if you plan to use it for EDC. Slicing is hard with the traditional chisel grind. I Loved my mini-7 but sold it because it mangled food. I got a used mini commander off of this forum and carry it often. I used it tonight to slice a lime and it worked really well.

I love them. My personal favorite is the horsdeman(mini 8). This knives were diesinged to be used, not show pieces. I have a lot of better looking knives, but when I need to get a job done I grab the Emerson.

An Emerson is like a Harley or an Old Camaro. There are newer and sleeker knives and cars but there is something just solid, tough, and unmatchable in the Emersons. There may be newer cars and knives but they are not better.

Emersons feel like a real tool in your hand. Not a toy or a piece you want to baby. Emersons feel like they will take a lickin a d keep ticking. For instance my Emersons are some of fhe only folders I own with tips tough enough I would do some prying woth them (still not recommended, I know). I'm not talking heavy prying but like for instance if you were to stab a wood board then pry and sort of gouge the edge out. I would NEVER do that with most my Spydecos or a Sebenza for instance.

.... I would NEVER do that with most my Spydecos or a Sebenza for instance.

I wouldn't do it either with a Centofante III or Military (just to name two of my thinnest knives (at the point area). However right now I have in my pocket an Endura 4 (VG10, saber ground) that I wouldn't hesitate to pry whatever needs to be pried with. Is more about specific models than brands I guess. I have and old (pre LAWSK) CRKT M16 that I broke the point off (like 3mm)... that's about my only experience with a chisel edge knife. Not the best if you ask me!

However I am considering tying an Emerson one of these days, but I still haven't pulled the trigger.

Mikel

OP... I've had 20 or so Emersons over the years. I still have three that are regular users whenever I want to carry a knife that's bulletproof. I have never... not once in all the new & used Emersons I've bought... experienced the F&F problems that some folks seem to have. Sticky lockup? Good! That means it's less likely to be accidentally unlocked. Rough G10? Great! That means the knife won't be slip slidin' away when my hands are wet or muddy. Handle scales don't mate up perfectly around the edges of the liners? No sweat. That just makes it mine and not somebody else's perfect clone of a perfect original.

I admit to being known as one of the "knuckle-draggers" here on BF. Emersons appeal to me because they are (mostly... except for the new-fangled flippers and bearing models) old-school, tough, and not fashion model perfect. Most of the separate parts used in them won't be "the best/newest" on the market. But put all the parts together into a working package and they become a masterpiece of function and reliability.

Add in Emerson's CS which I've used a couple of times to fix knives that I've had modded, and I can't come up with any reason NOT to carry an Emerson. BTW... you didn't ask, but I'll say it anyway. If you haven't considered a CQC15 or mini-CQC15, you should. I've used a lot of different Emersons and the mini-15 works best for me as a daily user. Great blade profile, very comfortable handle, and easy to maintain on flat stones or strops, even with that slight recurve.

Emerson's are excellent knives. I have never had any f & f issues with any of the Emerson's I have had. They are tough, and are made to be used. Emerson's customer service is awesome, and everything is made in the U.S.A.

Emerson's are not for everyone. Mr. Emerson has previously stated that fit and finish is not the driving principle of his knives. Now that that's out of the way...If you want a serious tool that will consistently perform, in the worst condition, "in the worst places," one that you can maintain yourself, wherever you go, then get one, and discover the joy of having an Emerson. It's a first class company with great customer service.

The 7 and 8 series are classic designs. They are different. Find the one that works best for you. Let us know what you get.

I have only used their CS once, but I didn't have the "out of this world" experience that some here have had.

I have a Patriot (one of my favorite Emersons). I had everything except the blade customized by Nath.

One day I went to install a custom TI thumb screw. When I went to take the stock one off, instead of unscrewing the tiny screw snapped off in the blade. I'm like WTF. I am capable of drilling out & rethreading it but I didn't want to take a chance on messing up the blade.

At that point, I decided to send it in to Emerson QC for what should have been a rather simple repair.

When I didn't hear anything for 3 months, I started politely calling & asking what happened to my knife. It was no big deal, I have plenty of other knives to EDC but at that point I started wondering if they lost the damn thing.

I did finally get it back after numerous phone calls 4 months later. They fixed it for free, but I had to send them $18 to ship it back. To me, that is not all that great service. I love the knife & all my other many Emersons but I will DEFINITELY do all my own repairs from now on.

~John

I love Emerson knives.

Having said that you may wanna post elsewhere for an unbiased opinion. ;)

But do yourself a favor and buy one.

I have three, a mini 7, Horseman and a Commander.

The mini 7: Great, love it for what it is; a short, stout blade, with a handle that gives several good grips, strong lockup.

Horseman: My favorite. Same as above, only bigger and slicier.

The Commander: Barely used this one, the liner was chipped, and it slips off the tang of the blade with minimum pressure and the blades goes in. It also has a weak detent (may be because its a heavy blade, I dont know..). Sent this one in today, looking forward to get it fixed or get a new one, and see if the Commander is worth all the praise I've read. My first impression was not good with this one.

So 2 out of 3 was perfect, the 3rd is still under consideration :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loving my Horseman so far. It's only been a week and I will admit that I did list it for sale but the more I thought about it the more I liked and I took it down. I'm glad I did.

I found a good deal on a full size plain edge/satin A100 today online and pulled the trigger. This will be my second A100 but the first was a beater project when I got it that I ended up selling off. Im psyched for a new Emerson, just got the shipping notice.

Back