Your Perfect GSO Combination and Why?

Hell some Nalgene water bottles or those stainless kleen canteens with the survive fire mountain logo on em would sell great!

Do it in the 38oz Guyot/Nalgene Stainless bottles and I'd be in for about 4. But they'd definitely should have the Survive! Logo on them.

I'd also be in on Firesteels and Hats, though they would need to offer the jumbo melonhead size hat for me.

Junkyard

Now that Ellie was thoughtful enough to make another thread.... :)

Even though I responded already with what I actually have on order, I do think a 4.1 and 12 would be an unbeatable combination. If I wasn't worried about surviving indefinitely I think a 2.7 and 6 would make a nice, smaller and lighter pair.

My current lineup combo will have to go to the 4.1 and 10. I consider the GSO 5.1, 5 and even the 7/7 to be a mid sized one knife solution. The 7/7 is getting a bit on the large size, and mine is a false ground version, hence it is more of a fighter that could double for utility purposes. I am looking forward to receiving the GSO 8 and seeing where this knife fits in.

I think 8 or 7/7 and a 4.5 would be a nice combo. With a 4.1 or 3.5 for back up.

As for your 7/7 I'll trade you my starter. :D

I have several....but my 7/7 and 4.1 or my 5.1 and 4.1. The ultimate combo with what I have is my 10, 5.1 and 4.1. I always have a 4.1 in a bag or in my car as a backup.

Last edited:
Not to run this thread off-topic, but do you guys really like the big GSOs better than a hatchet?

Full disclosure: I live in the desert and don't use a hatchet or monster-chopper knife that often... The few times I tried to use my big choppers (BK9 and Condor Mini Duku), I found that they were a lot less effective than a hatchet. With that in mind, for me the ideal combo would be a 14" hatchet and my GSO-4.1. I could probably get by with just my awesome GSO-5 99% of the time.

All that being said, I am more than willing to learn from others that find the BIG GSOs to be really useful tools. I think they look super cool, and would probably be incredibly useful if I needed to behead zombies.

The biggest GSO's that are out now are the 7/7 and 10. Guy has said a few times that he never intended for the 10 to be a chopper, but with a blade the size of a junglas I have no doubts it will chop. The 12 is what was designed to give hatchets a run for their money.

The GSO 10 that I had was great and it replaced the hatchet. Being able to baton or chop small trees is really nice considering I don't have a lot of experience with axes. I swing hammers all day but using an axe is a whole different beast even though it should be similar.

The GSO 10 that I had was great and it replaced the hatchet. Being able to baton or chop small trees is really nice considering I don't have a lot of experience with axes. I swing hammers all day but using an axe is a whole different beast even though it should be similar.

When I used my BK9 I got a LOT less penetration when chopping than I did with my little hatchet. The Condor was better, but still lacking in performance when compared to a hatchet. This could have totally been due to my lack of technique. Did you experience the same performance with your GSO 10?

The 10 was razor sharp so it would take big chunks out when I staggered my cuts. The H&B forge axe that I had was great but it was a bit dull. A friend wanted it so I sold it before I could clean it up and do a proper comparison.

Back