Your Perfect GSO Combination and Why?

Regardless of how sharp an axe is, there are certain things i cannot do that a knife can. A Big knife can chop, but (at least in my experience) just not very well.

The big knife / small knife combo still intrigues me, but here in AZ I think I am more of a fan of a single 5" - 7" knife option. I need to be careful or I am going to talk myself into pulling the trigger on the GSO 6 tonight.

I have a nice hatchet made by Wetterlings for Husqvarna, but I rarely put it to use. When I'm out in the woods or working around the property, the GSO-10 is a LOT more useful - it chops about as well as the hatchet but has the added benefit of being a stout machete, so it can be used on lighter vegetation as well as thicker, it's a great bark-scraper, and it does a decent job carving as well (choked up), easier to handle than the hatchet. It's also easier to deploy and resheath one-handed. The only thing at which the hatchet is superior for me is very specific chopping tasks or splitting kindling, but I use a full-size axe for most of my splitting. I'll train my children on the hatchet when they come of age, which will be sooner than they are ready for the GSO-10, but I'm definitely in the "big knife" camp, prefer it to the hatchet.

I need to get more time behind a hatchet or axe. I feel more comfortable swinging a big knife for some reason.

I need to get more time behind a hatchet or axe. I feel more comfortable swinging a big knife for some reason.

^This is where I'm at, I know some guys are GREAT with a hatchet, there's a thread on BF somewhere demonstrating their skills. There's also one or two (or more) showing what guys/gals can do with a khukuri, it's quite impressive :thumbup: We each do the best we can with what we have.

I ordered the 3.5 in cpm20cv for small work and food prep chores and the 7/7 for everything else in a pinch.
I still like the small axe or hatchet option over the really large knife option from using both a fair bit but in Wisconsin hatchets/axes make sense.

- sorry for the off topic but is that this hatchet?
This is a fantastic hatchet at a bargain price.

It's actually an older model, you can see it at the beginning of this video I posted when I first got my GSO-10:

[video=youtube;9ID9tgSQjvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ID9tgSQjvU[/video]

Wood Trekker did a review on it: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/10/husqvarna-hatchet-review.html

aa%2B%252815%2529.JPG

I think I paid ~$40 ...

Great video as always, Chiral! Nice comparison. The advantage of the hatchet would be splitting wood, right?

Yep I see the difference. Mine was about $20 or $30. Would love to get a Wetterlings or a Gransford. Thanks!!

I bought a 28" Hudson Bay axe from Peavey Mfg. I think it was about 45 dollars.

Last edited:
4.1-5.1-8.
Why,well because they are all capable of being single carry blade as well as they are good as combo.Cheers.

Last edited:
Back