Your thoughts on Protech Malibu?

Hi Folks.
I have really been bored while waiting on my new knife.
And im using some of the time to look at other shiny things.
I stumbled across Protech Malibu. And damn it just tick all the right boxes for me.
All videos i have seen just praises the knife to the max.

Is the knife that good?

Its not in stock in the EU shops im using. So right now its just on my wishlist.

I've picked 3 of them and they're all great tools. All of mine have been the wharncliffe in Magnacut.

One of my absolute favorites. Highly recommend. I find the reverse tonto extremely well balanced. Super easy one hander with drop shut tune and button lock. Lynch just released a Ti pocket clip for the Malibu that addressed the only tiny little gripe I had.

It is a great knife. One of the few flippers I actually like.

If they made a left handed model, I would carry one. I suspect they will eventually, Protech is one of the few sinister-friendly shops.

It is a great knife. One of the few flippers I actually like.

If they made a left handed model, I would carry one. I suspect they will eventually, Protech is one of the few sinister-friendly shops.
Do they really need a left handed model? It's a flipper with a button lock. Or are you just hoping to move the pocket clip?

One of my absolute favorites. Highly recommend. I find the reverse tonto extremely well balanced. Super easy one hander with drop shut tune and button lock. Lynch just released a Ti pocket clip for the Malibu that addressed the only tiny little gripe I had.
What was the gripe?

Among my favorite folders. Love the low tip-angle modified Wharncliffe blade design (my favorite blade design in general). They really did a great job here.

It's light and slim - carries like nothing
Button lock is great
Flipping action is "very good." It has a very positive deployment, but don't expect ZT or Skaha II snappiness.
Cutting performance is good, but it's not a super-slicer like a TRM or North Arm - just depends what you're looking for there.

I really like the choice for aluminum on the handle, the knife ends up being really balanced with that material, and it feels great in-hand, IMO.

It's a very well-designed US-made knife that ticks a whole lot of boxes for me, and it's also really affordable at ~$250 (and is actually available). The whole package taken together makes it a standout for me.

TXYY5g7.jpg

Do they really need a left handed model? It's a flipper with a button lock. Or are you just hoping to move the pocket clip?

Because the button and clip are backwards.

Sure, I am physically capable of using it, but if I have a knife made for the way I work, why would I? I'm can also use their right-handed autos. But it is awkward, and again, why would I?

Because the button and clip are backwards.

Sure, I am physically capable of using it, but if I have a knife made for the way I work, why would I? I'm can also use their right-handed autos. But it is awkward, and again, why would I?
That's fair.

Among my favorite folders. Love the low tip-angle modified Wharncliffe blade design (my favorite blade design in general). They really did a great job here.

It's light and slim - carries like nothing
Button lock is great
Flipping action is "very good." It has a very positive deployment, but don't expect ZT or Skaha II snappiness.
Cutting performance is good, but it's not a super-slicer like a TRM or North Arm - just depends what you're looking for there.

I really like the choice for aluminum on the handle, the knife ends up being really balanced with that material, and it feels great in-hand, IMO.

It's a very well-designed US-made knife that ticks a whole lot of boxes for me, and it's also really affordable at ~$250 (and is actually available). The whole package taken together makes it a standout for me.

TXYY5g7.jpg
Thats awesome colour combination.
The problem with the EU dealers i really dont have that much of a choice in colour ways.
Only one i can find right now is a black one with a stonewashed tanto blade. To borring so yeah im waiting more.

I bought one, played with it for 15 minutes, put it back in the box and gave it away here. Just not for me.

I’ve had 2, both the reverse tanto. Wonderful knife just the handle was too small for my big hands so I sold them.

A "nice" knife but nothing "special" IMO.

So, it's of no interest to me.

-------------------------------------

However, there was a lot of interest in it when it came out and it has become a mainstay of Protech's folder line since then.

Buy it, if you like it. Buy something else, if you don't. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The Malibu is a great all-around edc knife. The smooth version is a little slick.. not awful, but if you tend to prefer a more textured handle definitely keep that in mind and shop accordingly. OP, if you think you're going to like it, you're probably going to like it..

I like a wider and more aggressive ramp than the standard clip. No biggie, just makes it easier to catch the lip of the pocket. Plus I wanted Ti to match the handles.

This is standard.

20240106_202548.jpg

I'm left handed but refuse to buy left handed models, they look funky, I have no need for one

The Malibu is a good knife for sure; I prefer the Mordax however. Nothing really to complain about with the Malibu, it is just a bit too small for my hands.

Back