• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Youtubers That Set Up Patreon Accounts

I was watching one of these "Youtubers" the other day having a mental struggle with himself about setting up a Patreon account....as if to add some sort of dignity to the process of asking for a hand out. Boggles my mind that these internet egos feel their "Fans" somehow owe them beyond viewership, subscription and the likes that get them paid.

Stop with the begging! You're not in need. Furthermore, the attempt to justify the handout by telling your subscribers the money will be going toward investing in your "channel" somehow makes it ok. There are homeless and hungry people in need of a hand up. Spare me your petty wants!

The hell is wrong with people these days!? Liked the channel until this BS...

I like Patreon and if I like the person behind the channel or project I'll become one.

My take is some are beggars and some deserve to be paid for their content. Patreon seems like a nice way for the viewer to decide where they spend their money. It's like most tools used by people. Used wisely, it can be beneficial, used poorly, and people can be damaged.

If you create something folks enjoy I'm in favor of you getting paid for it. Personally, I can't stand folks that seem to think all creative content should, for some reason, be free. We look into the exchange and see knifemakers putting time, effort, skill and resources into their work and we mutually agree they deserve to be compensated for that. Entertainers do the same and people tell them they're beggars asking for a handout. No one is forcing you to buy a knife, no one is forcing you to be a patron. But you get the content for free AND you try to shame the creator for getting paid for their effort? I know which I think is less worthy.

How is is begging if they provided content that has value?

They let you see what they have to offer first and then let you decide if it is worth paying for.

The flip-side of your argument is that I watch a video game YouTube that doesn't accept review copies of games, doesn't do sponsored content and doesn't put any ads anywhere and he funds this through Patreon. Arguably he'd less biased than someone that has to worry about appeasing companies to get further copies of games and such since everything comes out of his pocket instead of relying on possibly overlooking flaws a game has or whatver so he can receive future review copies.

I participate in a grand total of 1.
My favorite YT channel is Forgotten Weapons. The guy does a fantastic job on a subject that I am very interested in.
Costs me $1 a month. To me, it is worth every penny.
Joe

I participate in a grand total of 1.
My favorite YT channel is Forgotten Weapons. The guy does a fantastic job on a subject that I am very interested in.
Costs me $1 a month. To me, it is worth every penny.
Joe

I'll have to check that one out

I personally like solosknifereviews (he doesn't ask for donations as far as I know). I watch other reviewers but take most others with varying degrees of salt for varying reasons.

Im personally ok with making a donation for something I enjoy, if I believed my money was going towards content and production.

Solos does a great job. It seems he tries so hard to get his knowledge out there. You're right, never heard him ask for anything. Great channel.
Definitely worth checking out Forgotten Weapons. Extremely interesting content about older gun designs. I find it very interesting.
Joe

I was watching one of these "Youtubers" the other day having a mental struggle with himself about setting up a Patreon account....as if to add some sort of dignity to the process of asking for a hand out. Boggles my mind that these internet egos feel their "Fans" somehow owe them beyond viewership, subscription and the likes that get them paid.

Stop with the begging! You're not in need. Furthermore, the attempt to justify the handout by telling your subscribers the money will be going toward investing in your "channel" somehow makes it ok. There are homeless and hungry people in need of a hand up. Spare me your petty wants!

The hell is wrong with people these days!? Liked the channel until this BS...

So, what does this have to do with Bladeforums? Or knives? Or anything that we should be concerned with? It's time for you to wake up to the year 2017 where people create content and should be paid for it. There are plenty of people who produce Youtube videos with no financial support from anyone. If you think it's "BS" that someone decided to ask for a small amount of compensation for content they created that you admit you liked*, I think a better question is "the hell is wrong with YOU"?

*Read here: consumed. Do you get mad at the restaurant for charging you for food you enjoyed?

I like The Great War, they have patreon but don't beat you over the head with NPR style fundraising. People who like it may donate.

So, what does this have to do with Bladeforums? Or knives? Or anything that we should be concerned with? It's time for you to wake up to the year 2017 where people create content and should be paid for it. There are plenty of people who produce Youtube videos with no financial support from anyone. If you think it's "BS" that someone decided to ask for a small amount of compensation for content they created that you admit you liked*, I think a better question is "the hell is wrong with YOU"?

*Read here: consumed. Do you get mad at the restaurant for charging you for food you enjoyed?

How true Q!
For these guys to put just one 10 minute video out a week, they put in a tremendous amount of effort. If they do this and upload one video a week, that's like having a second job.
If they put good vids up, you enjoy watching it and you are interested in the subject matter, why not throw a couple bucks their way?
I am sure they aren't getting rich from it.
Joe

Love this..............Can WE SAY ""NAIL ON THE HEAD""......................:jerkit:

Last edited:
^^^ Me too Keith!! Our Quiet friend never pulls punches!! Love it!!

Love this..............Can WE SAY ""NAIL ON THE HEAD""......................:jerkit:

^^^ Me too Keith!! Our Quiet friend never pulls punches!! Love it!!

LOL thanks gents. I mean, you know? I think a lot of people look at Youtube and think to themselves "Pssshhhh ANYone can do this, so why do they deserve anything." The fact is, those folks are wrong. There are thousands and thousands of YT channels belonging to people who thought that, which have like four or five videos, and they're full of bad camera work and lots of "Ummmm..." or "Well, you know, um...". Nobody is watching that. Nobody is following those channels, nor would they pay for the "content" that had been produced.

But then you have countless other channels with tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands or millions) of followers. They produce slick content, and provide something to their fans. So, if they find themselves needing that little financial push that will take them to the next level to where they go from thousands of views/subs to tens of thousands, why wouldn't they make a polite request for that assistance? How is that something to be looked down on? It's 2017, there are people making millions of dollars on Youtube, and a TON of people pulling a comfortable six figure income from their channels. That frankly, amazes me. :thumbup:

You think all content should be free? Seriously? A lot of the folks on youtube put a ton of time into producing quality content on a regular basis, why should they not be compensated for their hard work?

Back