• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Youtubers That Set Up Patreon Accounts

You think all content should be free? Seriously? A lot of the folks on youtube put a ton of time into producing quality content on a regular basis, why should they not be compensated for their hard work?

Yup!!!
It's also very easy to spot those channels that put lots of work into their vids.
If you enjoy the content, are very interested in the subject matter, appreciate the work that goes into the vids and find yourself looking forward to new vids why not??
The cost of supporting the channel I watch most is $1 a month. I watch the vids at least 3 times a week. Definitely worth it to me.
Forgotten Weapons......check it out if you love.......well, Forgotten weapons!!! Mostly older rifles, pistols, cannons, machine guns etc.
Joe

LOL thanks gents. I mean, you know? I think a lot of people look at Youtube and think to themselves "Pssshhhh ANYone can do this, so why do they deserve anything." The fact is, those folks are wrong. There are thousands and thousands of YT channels belonging to people who thought that, which have like four or five videos, and they're full of bad camera work and lots of "Ummmm..." or "Well, you know, um...". Nobody is watching that. Nobody is following those channels, nor would they pay for the "content" that had been produced.

But then you have countless other channels with tens of thousands (or even hundreds of thousands or millions) of followers. They produce slick content, and provide something to their fans. So, if they find themselves needing that little financial push that will take them to the next level to where they go from thousands of views/subs to tens of thousands, why wouldn't they make a polite request for that assistance? How is that something to be looked down on? It's 2017, there are people making millions of dollars on Youtube, and a TON of people pulling a comfortable six figure income from their channels. That frankly, amazes me. :thumbup:

It's like dungeons and dragons. Some people have a nat 18 for charisma. They draw people, they're interesting. What's sad is someone who's a nat 10 and thinks they're an 18. Charisma is one of those things that not all of us have, or if we do have it, we have in very specific contexts. We've all had that boss or leader in our lives that everyone respected without a doubt, where the general consensus is "he/she is a leader, no doubt about it, you trust them, and you know they'll get it done." Those people are rare, and those people may not be us.

Some people have a nat 18 for charisma. They draw people, they're interesting. What's sad is someone who's a nat 10 and thinks they're an 18. Charisma is one of those things that not all of us have, or if we do have it, we have in very specific contexts. Those people are rare, and those people may not be us.

^ :thumbup:

I'm presently working on the editing stages of my very first knife review YouTube project.

Last edited:
Little devils AD here but I have to agree with the op on this one. I've seen at LEAST 3 long time youtubers pull this exact same video over the past two weeks; Including solos and Jim skelly. The "thinking out loud trying justify it to their subscribers (as well as to themselves)" patreon video. What anyone has yet to mention is that no one is forcing people to make these "difficult & expensive" videos. Also, YouTube already Pays out to the creators. Albeit very little but that's the point. It's a DIY. Not a Hollywood production. Some of these patreon youtubers have an easily recognizable 100grand or more in custom knife reviews over the years. Do you really want to donate to someone who already has more money than most? (Maybe the reason for patreon eh?)Lol! Also, taking money could compromise any and all opinions coming from the creator when donated to from private sources. (It's happened before). Pressure to keep up the content eventually crushes in its weight. So - Yes: YouTube creators should expect very Little to Zero cash and just enjoy creating and try to do it in a way that IS cheap and effective without worrying how much cash they can fleece from people. It's this entitlement syndrome I see nowadays poisoning our country and it's absolutely uncalled for. Trying creating and giving without expecting anything in return and if the channel is exceptional it will garner the fanfare needed to make some real money from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little devils AD here but I have to agree with the op on this one. I've seen at LEAST 3 long time youtubers pull this exact same video over the past two weeks; Including solos and Jim skelly. The "thinking out loud trying justify it to their subscribers (as well as to themselves)" patreon video. What anyone has yet to mention is that no one is forcing people to make these "difficult & expensive" videos. Also, YouTube already Pays out to the creators. Albeit very little but that's the point. It's a DIY. Not a Hollywood production. Some of these patreon youtubers have an easily recognizable 100grand or more in custom knife reviews over the years. Do you really want to donate to someone who already has more money than most? (Maybe the reason for patreon eh?)Lol! Also, taking money could compromise any and all opinions coming from the creator when donated to from private sources. (It's happened before). Pressure to keep up the content eventually crushes in its weight. So - Yes: YouTube creators should expect very Little to Zero cash and just enjoy creating and try to do it in a way that IS cheap and effective without worrying how much cash they can fleece from people. It's this entitlement syndrome I see nowadays poisoning our country and it's absolutely uncalled for. Trying creating and giving without expecting anything in return and if the channel is exceptional it will garner the fanfare needed to make some real money from it.

And no one is forcing you to do whatever you do for a living. Or, for that matter, to contribute to content creators on YouTube or anywhere else. As for compromising opinions, how, exactly does accepting money from viewers compromise opinions? Many, many reviewers that don't have a Patreon accept free review samples from companies, THAT is absolutely going to compromise objectivity. As for entitlement syndrome, how about those that enjoy free content and then complain on the internet when the creator has the audacity to ask for some compensation for their time and effort? I'm certain I know which party is acting whiny and entitled.

So, in your mind, people putting out a product, a good, a consumable service should just "expect very little to zero" compensation for doing it. Huh. Wow. Someone sure does have entitlement syndrome, but it's not Youtube content providers.

I do not make YouTube videos, but I like the majority of the people here feel that there is nothing wrong in getting compensated for creating a service that we all consume, and benefit from.

Who gives a crap!!! If I like something I'll pay for it! If I don't I won't! Seems pretty dang simple to me! Are people incapable of making there own decisions now!?

Who gives a crap!!! If I like something I'll pay for it! If I don't I won't! Seems pretty dang simple to me! Are people incapable of making there own decisions now!?

Ummmmm thanks for sharing.......twice. Shrugs

It's this entitlement syndrome I see nowadays poisoning our country and it's absolutely uncalled for. Trying creating and giving without expecting anything in return and if the channel is exceptional it will garner the fanfare needed to make some real money from it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's entitlement to want compensation for a product? Did Apple give you your iPhone for free?

Nothing wrong with Patreon and the like. I support a couple of podcasts through it. I don't see it as begging to engage your viewers and create a community of support.

I second that recommendation. Everyone shouldncheck out forgotten weapons. You can find it on youtube or it is also on a site called full30. If you search full30 in google you will find it.

I second that recommendation. Everyone shouldncheck out forgotten weapons. You can find it on youtube or it is also on a site called full30. If you search full30 in google you will find it.

Hey LD!!
Have you checked out In Range?? Ian & Carl together!
Some excellent content on that channel also!!
Joe

Isn't this question really analogous to broadcast TV vs cable (or Hulu, Netflix, etc.)? They are both ways to present TV shows, and the creators of Law & Order or whatever want to be compensated for their efforts.

You can watch broadcast TV for free but you have to have to put up with ads because that's how the creators get compensated. If you don't want to watch ads, you pay for cable, FIOS, HULU, Netflix, or whatever.

You can watch YouTube for free, but (sometimes) you have to put up with ads because that's how the creators get compensated. If you don't want to watch ads, you pay for Patreon.

Free choice.

Isn't this question really analogous to broadcast TV vs cable (or Hulu, Netflix, etc.)? They are both ways to present TV shows, and the creators of Law & Order or whatever want to be compensated for their efforts.

You can watch broadcast TV for free but you have to have to put up with ads because that's how the creators get compensated. If you don't want to watch ads, you pay for cable, FIOS, HULU, Netflix, or whatever.

You can watch YouTube for free, but (sometimes) you have to put up with ads because that's how the creators get compensated. If you don't want to watch ads, you pay for Patreon.

Free choice.

Don't go gettin all rational and such...

Thread is going just as my own mind does, it's not free to run a good channel with fresh content... but personally I'm not afraid of missing any meals. Tough to "ask for funding," but at the same time it would definitely make the channel better.

Full disclosure, I'm a YouTuber with a Patreon account, so I've got a horse in this race. But one thing to add in here in a bit more detail is that YouTube revenue (from ads or the folks who sign up for YouTube Red) is relatively small, and relatively delayed, relative to what a lot of folks expect.

YouTube doesn't want you to be too precise about numbers, I gather, but even with around 15,000 subs, I have never had a video which "paid for" the purchase of an item outright, and only rarely does it cover the loss incurred when buying and then later selling an item. Thanks to generous viewers, I get a lot of loaned gear for review (which is the only thing that's made my channel possible), and a heavy majority (70-80%) of my review videos haven't actually made enough money since release to cover insured return shipping of the item, and right now, the median per-video YouTube revenue won't even cover a flat-rate envelope.

That will (hopefully) change over time, as the videos have more time to get views. But right now, when put next to the time spent on the channel, I'm not quite making minimum wage from YouTube, and that completely ignores money spent on buying gear outright, shipping, etc.

Along with gear loans which make my channel possible at all, Patreon is the glue that helps this make any sense. Shipping, purchase, etc costs are all front-loaded, and YouTube Revenue rolls in over months. The patreon money, donated regularly and with minimal added costs, allows me to pay shipping, allows me to buy a bit more gear, and allows me to pick up a much-anticipated piece of gear, knowing full well that I'm going to take a hit if I re-sell, and provide that content. I have a day job, so i don't need to make a living from YouTube, but for me, the support I get via Patreon is a buffer between the needs of the channel and my personal bank account, and it helps the channel feel like it's not eating my financial face.

If you don't have the means to support a channel you love on Patreon, I totally get it, there's zero pressure. Just enjoy the content. That's why we're doing it: for you to enjoy. The ad revenue from your view will help a bit, but a kind comment or message or email is great payment too. But if you have the means to help support the channels you enjoy with Patreon, I encourage you to. It really is a big help!

Last edited:
Very well said Nick!
Also, it is quite obvious which channels 'deserve' a bit of monetary help. Fresh content, prepared You Tuber, entertaining presentation etc. The dude giving viewers 7 ummms per minute??? Not so much.
You're not quite gem like yet.......but you're getting there!
Lastly.....more Z Hunter exposure!!!
Joe

Back