Yup

I bought two of the Wenger SI's several weeks ago from the guy north of the border when they were $39.00 each...now it's $59.00 each. I suppose the collectability has already been established due to Wenger's sudden demise, so at $59.00, it's probably a bargain.

At $59 its probable that my wife would stab me with my new knife
Just saying :D

I'm recently on the SAK scene here - not having had a SAK in 10+ years since my last Classic was lost. I was recently brought on board after receiving an orange Alox Farmer from a member here as a very thoughtful gift. I immediately developed a fascination for the Farmer and SAK. Several weeks later I just "had" to have an Alox Pioneer... I've had it a few days now and LOVE IT. What a perfect combination of tools in a slim package.

Now if I'm not mistaken the Wenger SI is a Pioneer with a bail instead of a key-ring (vice versa probably as the SI preceded the Pioneer, correct?)? In other words am I missing anything to not have an SI if I prefer the key ring over that larger bail?

And by the way, even after just a few days I realize - I can't really argue with your premise...

YUP!

E0E9FF15-7F95-46F3-BE0D-B1C12F3309FD_zpsbrgnbzcf.jpg

DCE7FF32-3875-4FFE-ADA1-7DEA1A6E69EF_zps4wkcv3hc.jpg

there are a FEW minor differences.

1) bail, SI has one, and i prefer it to the keyring, but hey different strokes for different folks right?
2) blade, the pioneer blade tapers more and has (again to ME) a more pleasing leaf shape blade, but the SI blade is a tad thicker especially near the tip
3) the awl is pointier on the SI than the pioneer, but they both work
4) the pioneers can opener i've noticed sits just slightly lower in the handle in the closed position. this particular point makes no matter to me, but its there.

think that about covers all the differences. i dont DISLIKE the pioneer, just wish i could get one with the bail instead of the keyring :D

ps
and still, Yup :D

The Soldier knives were based on the Pioneer so the pioneer came first.

The Pioneer was used as the basis for the 1961 Soldier 1961 design, and was actually a name used to identify a series of knives (see Related). The early model was also known as the Pioneer Sturdy Boy. The Sturdy Boy name may have been attached to several models (e.g. the series) as they where known to be very robust knives.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Pioneer

Pioneer models
http://www.aloxworld.com/AloxWorld/Victorinox-Alox-Pioneer.html

All the early Pioneers had bails and all the "issue" Soldier knives had hollow rivets and no bail. The bail on the Wengers was added to the civilian sales version (per discussions on other boards among Swiss soldiers and ALOX collectors). The hollow rivet knife was used (like a plumb bob) with a certain length of string to determine elevation for rifle fired grenades with the SIG Stgw 57 service rifle.

Later on in production Vic went to solid rivets and Wenger stayed with the hollow rivet but at times produced solid rivet Soldiers as well.

Here is a pic of the two styles of Wengers:
97WengerSoldiers_zps412b3f11.jpg

Last edited:
Back