Zero Tolerance ZT0300 Review

Hey all,

My first review. Kershaw Zero Tolerance 0300
zt0300_02.jpg

Quick Description:
The zt0300 is a 3.75" S30V heavy duty, workhorse folder. The blade is a gentle recurve design and is coated in a double bonded proprietary coat by Strider. The handle is half G10 and half Titanium. The TI side has has the framelock and the Strider designed 'hinderer' framelock safety mechanism (it's just a washer screwed onto the frame to keep the lock from hyper-extension). The G10 side has a single steel liner that makes the base for the G10 scale to be mounted on. This liner does offset the blade's center orientation by a millimeter or so - no big deal. The frame is drilled with all four positions available for right hand or left hand tip up or tip down carry. The shining feature of this knife is the Speedsafe assisted opening action - via a spring steel torsion bar.

The Good:
* Built like a tank from the bottom up.
* The screws are recessed into the G10 side = removes excess wear on torx screw heads! A very nice touch.
* Firm, satisfying lock up.
* Frame lock + hinderer = very nice
* Recurve blade design produces a _longer_ total cutting surface than the 3.75" spec (linear measurement). This is a GOOD thing! Legal even in LA, Kalifornia (sub 4"). It isn't built to be a push-cutting straight razor, although it can slice very well even give the blade geometry. Gentle recurve section catches cutting material more which increases cutting force.
* It's a slicer, general cutter more than a stabber. eg. check out the spine.
* Good firm pocket clip grabs and won't let go until it rips your jeans.
* Small, nondescript (generic) pocket clip. (doesn't scream out "BIG, DANGEROUS, POSSIBLY ILLEGAL BLADE LENGTH FOLDER IN POCKET!")
* S30V steel is a joy to use. Razor sharp factory edge pops hairs. I don't mind the largish ~40deg flat grind for this knife application.
* The TI side is well executed (the frame lock + hinderer side).
* Balance -it's very spine-side heavy but still rests nicely on the index finger. Not a perfect point axis turner (most knives aren't). It pitches axis in a direct line from the point to the lanyard hole. VERY high along the whole frame = feels like a 'driving' slicer with some decent tip strength. Not a classic fighter feel, ala Kabar.
* It's f___ing big! :D - this thing is intimidatingly big. Whip it out in public and the sheeple will quickly come out of the woodwork. User discretion advised.

zt0300_01.jpg

The not so good:
* The handle with half Titanium and half G10 scale = odd, inconsistent tactile response (feel). It feels like a "cute", overly "design-y" concept :thumbdn:. Not as well thought out as advertised. Nice try Ken. Should be either double sided TI or G10 + liner lock, not one of each. (2x TI would be super nice IMO. hint hint! The TI is in fact, awesome).
* Scale checkering on G10 side feels very 'edgy' or rough and are not pants friendly. It will shred your pants pockets if you move around a lot but it grips very well. (TI = pants friendly)
* It's f___ing huge! :O (self edit, heheh)
* Weighs way more than double of any other pocket knife I own. Seriously, this is a big consideration, not bad per se, but a consideration.
* The handle is TALL but not too thick - width/height consumes most if not all of your front pocket space (although, it does have some 3D smoothing, blending near your thumb's first joint, which is nice). Good luck trying to fish out chapstick, coins or your car keys from the same pocket as your zt0300. This is a back pocket rider all the way. But hey, it's got grip.

The Bad
* It's expensive
* The rumor of the ultimate warranty is false. It's a typical "manufacturer's defects" replacement warranty. Use/abuse is exempt.
* The thumbstud is perfectly useless as it is flush with the frame when closed so your fingers or thumb have zero room to grab hold to push it out. I have small fingers and thumbs and I cannot under no circumstances get any purchase of grip on the damn thing. It's primary purpose is a stop bar to halt the blade on the frame at lockup position. Honestly, with with finger guard toggle thingie + Speedsafe so well executed you'll forget it has a thumbstud.

I could go on and on about every detail but I'm trying to keep it mostly practical.

zt0300_03.jpg

Bottom Line:
The ZT0300 is a unique design. It's a no BS, all big slicing, quick opening, tough duty-grade knife that seems to care less about EDC comfort than pure performance (open and cut). Buy this knife if you don't mind rearranging your EDC to accommodate your fixation with with super-tough knives you paid too much to really abuse (although it could take it). >_> If taming this beast sounds like work instead of an opportunity for joy, get a BM Osborne. (take that turt! :p )

I say take the opportunity. I did. hehe

yavol

PS: Double sided TI frame next, please Ken!

Last edited:
Nice review with good points.

Do you think the Ti/G10 combo makes the knife more flexible?

As to the thumbstud placement: Have you tried opening the knife like a BM 710, i.e. running your thumb in the groove between blade and scale, catching the stud with your thumb-tip, and flipping up to start the blade movement?

Nice review with good points.

Do you think the Ti/G10 combo makes the knife more flexible?

I've done some basic pressure tests and the frame doesn't move. It's really solid. Tt has 3 big torx screws and a big bolt the blade pivots on. The G10 spacer in between the frame slabs at the back gives it solid stability.

As to the thumbstud placement: Have you tried opening the knife like a BM 710, i.e. running your thumb in the groove between blade and scale, catching the stud with your thumb-tip, and flipping up to start the blade movement?

There simply is no room for your thumb to catch the thumbstud to flip it open by. Ken would have to remove TI material from the framelock in order to make the thumbstud accessible, which IMO isn't a good solution, or maybe mod the thumbstud a bit to carve out a grove for your thumb. I'll post detail pics later.

If you run up your thumb vertically along the frame you can catch it but the blade won't budge because of the super strong detent. I think the torsion bar ads extra detent strength. Removing it would make it a thumb opener rather than an assisted flipper. If you have really strong thumbs and patience you can keep pressure on it and work it upward and outward till the speedsafe activates, but it takes quite a long time compared to using the flipper to open it. (~ 2-4 seconds)

Even so, I think the flipper + speedsafe is easily as fast as thumb opening ever could be, if not faster.

thx

Last edited:
Good review, and the ZT looks like a great value as far as high end beefy tacticals go.

Some comments, though. "Hinderer" is not the name of the frame lock stop, but rather the name of the custom maker who created it, Rick Hinderer, used with permission by Strider and now Kershaw/ZT.

And, G-10/Ti lock-side has been an industry standard for "tactical" type folders for awhile, including makers like Strider and Hinderer and Wilkins. So I wouldn't call it so much cute and overly design-y but rather just falling in line with the rest of the knife industry, which of course, may be a valid flaw.

Good review, and the ZT looks like a great value as far as high end beefy tacticals go.

Some comments, though. "Hinderer" is not the name of the frame lock stop, but rather the name of the custom maker who created it, Rick Hinderer, used with permission by Strider and now Kershaw/ZT.

And, G-10/Ti lock-side has been an industry standard for "tactical" type folders for awhile, including makers like Strider and Hinderer and Wilkins. So I wouldn't call it so much cute and overly design-y but rather just falling in line with the rest of the knife industry, which of course, may be a valid flaw.

Good points. Thank you for the clarifications.

The G-10/Ti combo is still very well executed. The wavey scales pattern is consistent on both sides and the size, depth and spacing of the scales seem just about perfect for enabling maximum grip. Sorry for sounding like I'm bashing your baby Ken! :O :D To my hands it does have a strange "off" feeling because of the 2 different materials used. I've never experienced this in any knife or tool handle in all my life. It's an unusual, unexpected experience. I'd love to try out some Striders for comparison some day.

Thanks carrot

nice review. havnt held this one yet, so i am interested to see what you mean by the g-10 and ti not really working together (couldnt think of a better way to phrase it lol).

one comment though, the warranty is as good as advertised. much more than a "The rumor of the ultimate warranty is false. It's a typical "manufacturer's defects" replacement warranty. Use/abuse is exempt" warranty. Kershaw will take care of it. if it needs to be resharpened, they will take care of it. if something breaks while being used, they will take care of it. if it just needs maintenence beyond what you can/are willing to do, they will take care of it. use and abuse is just part of the knife's life. visit the Kershaw forum, and ask w/e questions you may have on the warranty. use/abuse is covered.

oh and here is a link for you reguarding the warranty. i think that what Goddard says sums it up. so no worries :D :D for anyone :D

take it from someone who has used that warranty many many times :D

Thanks for the review and congrats on the 0300!
The all black version looks great.

I personally like the combo Ti/G-10, I get the security of a really solid frame lock and the excellent grip of the G-10. On the color models (0301 and 0302) the contrast with the Ti slab looks great. I have no doubts that Kershaw could have executed the knife with all G-10 and a liner (look at how solid the 0200 is) or all Ti.

As for the thumbstud, I have to disagree. All the 0300's I've tried are easy to open with the thumbstud. You just have to use it as had been mentioned. Slide your finger along the edge of the G-10 toward the front of the knife. The blade should open without your thumb ever leaving the G-10. You don't have to follow through on the stud with your thumb at all. If it is not opening, or is tough to open you may have a finger or part of your hand in the way of the flipper.

Thanks for the review and congrats on the 0300!
As for the thumbstud, I have to disagree. All the 0300's I've tried are easy to open with the thumbstud. You just have to use it as had been mentioned. Slide your finger along the edge of the G-10 toward the front of the knife. The blade should open without your thumb ever leaving the G-10. You don't have to follow through on the stud with your thumb at all. If it is not opening, or is tough to open you may have a finger or part of your hand in the way of the flipper.

Hehe, I wish it was that easy for me to open. I hear what you're saying and believe me I've tried it. It takes a LOT of force to open with the thumbstud (I got it to go after a while) using your method. My good friend turt had the same trouble with it. Perhaps it will get easier in time?

Hehe, I wish it was that easy for me to open. I hear what you're saying and believe me I've tried it. It takes a LOT of force to open with the thumbstud (I got it to go after a while) using your method. My good friend turt had the same trouble with it. Perhaps it will get easier in time?

most speed safe knives do need a breaking in time, so it is definatly possible. besides, its pretty fun to break in a speedsafe knife :D just that "THWACK" everytime it opens is so worth it :D

one comment though, the warranty is as good as advertised. much more than a "The rumor of the ultimate warranty is false. It's a typical "manufacturer's defects" replacement warranty. Use/abuse is exempt" warranty. Kershaw will take care of it. if it needs to be resharpened, they will take care of it. if something breaks while being used, they will take care of it. if it just needs maintenence beyond what you can/are willing to do, they will take care of it. use and abuse is just part of the knife's life. visit the Kershaw forum, and ask w/e questions you may have on the warranty. use/abuse is covered.

oh and here is a link for you regarding the warranty. i think that what Goddard says sums it up. so no worries :D :D for anyone :D

take it from someone who has used that warranty many many times :D

Wow, good to know. The printed warranty packet seemed much less extensive. Kinda makes sense though. It could be that legally, they are covering their bases against ridiculous Noss style, frivolous abuse, but in practice they are much more accommodating. Thank you for the info!

yavol

Breaking it in should definitely make it easier, and the "THWACK" definitely makes it worth doing a lot.

Warranty wise, I'd say that Kershaw would more than likely take care of you if something went wrong with the knife in a good faith effort to use it. Using it as a knife, it's tough to imagine anything going wrong with it.

These kind of honest reviews are better than any magazine article. I especially liked the attention to carry considerations and the honest response about the two different materials being used.

Detail images I promised to post:

Thumbstud Action
IMG_0989.jpg

Framelock and single liner
IMG_0990.jpg

Liner and center blade line offset
IMG_0991.jpg

Spine
IMG_0994.jpg

G10 back spacer
IMG_0996.jpg

Recessed torx screw slots
IMG_0995.jpg

Fascinating patina (sp?) from cutting 2 peaches. I like it
IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

yavol

The not so good:

* Scale checkering on G10 side feels very 'edgy' or rough and are not pants friendly. It will shred your pants pockets if you move around a lot but it grips very well. (TI = pants friendly)
* It's f___ing huge! :O (self edit, heheh)

I have one of these and I think the review was pretty good. The above is the main reason I don’t carry this thing every day. I carry in my back pocket when in civies and the checkering really seemed to grab fabric and make the knife hard to get out of a pocket.

Thanks for the excellent review and detailed photos, Yavol. I've never touched this knife, so I don't have any direct experience. And it looks like it is very well built using excellent materials and will fill a market niche.

However, from the peanut gallery:

This knife strikes me as a self-parody: too big and beefy to really be a useful pocket knife, like a bodybuilder trying to learn ballet. 99.9 percent of the time, a smaller, slimmer pocket knife will be more useful. The exception might be if you need a pocket folder to dig a hole. My guess is that most people would want to carry a second, smaller pocket knife if they really had a use for this monster.

Helpful review.

I am plannning on getting one soon hopefully.

How well does it slice with the obtuse edge and all?

Back